Replacing L3901 with MX5400

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
There is no interference problems with the rear remotes and the backhoe. I have Top N Tilt for mine it's not an issue with the backhoe because when you use the backhoe you have to remove your 3 point hitch parts anyway. You cannot use any of the rear remotes or 3 point on the tractor when your backhoe is installed or risk damage to the backhoe spool valve. As I mentioned before you must also remember to keep you 3 point in the lowered position when the backhoe is installed.

Reactions: 1 user

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
You are going to love that MX. I have an MX5000 and have been very impressed with it. Very nimble in tight spaces but has the size and power needed for heavier duties.
But as several people have already mentioned they are light in the back end compared to what they'll lift with a loader, so get some extra weight on the back end. I have 720# in wheel weights on mine and could use a bit more easily.
And yes, get at least dual hydraulic remotes, or better yet, triple. You won't regret it due to the added versatility it gives you.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Seems to me the a grapple would be worthy of consideration sooner or later. If you have the dealer install the front remote/gizmo at purchase you could avoid having to haul it back to the dealer later. This assumes you would not be installing it yourself . Many consider the grapple the best implement in the arsenal for your type of work. Good luck.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Seems to me the a grapple would be worthy of consideration sooner or later. If you have the dealer install the front remote/gizmo at purchase you could avoid having to haul it back to the dealer later. This assumes you would not be installing it yourself . Many consider the grapple the best implement in the arsenal for your type of work. Good luck.
I am having the third function installed by the dealer, along with rear remotes (2, maybe 3). I fully intend to purchase a grapple in the near future - probably EverythingAttachments but I haven't done enough research to make the call which one yet.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I have a bt4550 I would sell you cheaper than the dealer. 575 It is new. PM if interested, can figure shipping.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I have a bt4550 I would sell you cheaper than the dealer. 575 It is new. PM if interested, can figure shipping.
I really appreciate the offer, but I don't know that the savings would be worth the extra hassle in this case. I would have to buy the BH either incomplete or with the standard coupler and standard bucket just to swap parts when I get it home. Even if the savings were the full price of the coupler, I just don't see this one being worth it. If I already had a BH92 with the standard coupler, I'd be all over it.

I'd bet you could sell it rather quickly in the classifieds. Seems like the QA coupler would be desirable for the folks with the standard BH setup.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I am having the third function installed by the dealer, along with rear remotes (2, maybe 3). I fully intend to purchase a grapple in the near future - probably EverythingAttachments but I haven't done enough research to make the call which one yet.
I know I really like my EA Wicked Root Grapple. If you asked me before owning a grapple if I would use one, I would of told you maybe occasionally. Since I have had my grapple, it is on the tractor more than bucket and I use it all the time. I have used it for the typical use of brush/trees, to moving implements, picking up scrap metal, and tearing down buildings. The grapple has proven to be my most useful attachment.

20201221_113915.jpg

20201128_092847 resize.jpg

Resized_20200903_171807001.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I finalized the deal on the MX5400 today. Will bring it home next week - they had to order the R4 tires. The BH92 won't be ready until mid-February.

It's got the 3rd function up front and I'll likely get a grapple when my BH77 sells.

I ended up doing one rear remote. The build price was climbing ever higher and I decided to hold off on adding additional remotes. I figure I can add more in the future if the need arises.

The BH92 will have the hydraulic thumb and QA coupler for the bucket. I'd love to find a ripper tooth that works for the BH92. And maybe a 12" (or even 10") bucket for trenching if I can find a used one.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I finalized the deal on the MX5400 today. Will bring it home next week - they had to order the R4 tires. The BH92 won't be ready until mid-February.

It's got the 3rd function up front and I'll likely get a grapple when my BH77 sells.

I ended up doing one rear remote. The build price was climbing ever higher and I decided to hold off on adding additional remotes. I figure I can add more in the future if the need arises.

The BH92 will have the hydraulic thumb and QA coupler for the bucket. I'd love to find a ripper tooth that works for the BH92. And maybe a 12" (or even 10") bucket for trenching if I can find a used one.
I think the smallest bucket Kubota makes for the BH92 is a 12" and no Ripper tooth is available through Kubota. There might be aftermarket buckets and Rippers out there but I never spent anytime looking for any.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I think the smallest bucket Kubota makes for the BH92 is a 12" and no Ripper tooth is available through Kubota. There might be aftermarket buckets and Rippers out there but I never spent anytime looking for any.
I've seen rippers mentioned for the BH92 here or there but there doesn't seem to be an advertised solution.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC

Congratulations! The third function and grapple; just hard to adequately state how incredibly useful the grapple is if you do any tree/brush/clearing work. It has saved me many, many hours of manual labor and allowed several projects that otherwise would have required renting a skidsteer. Wouldn’t consider a new tractor without the third function and quick attach loader unless you never mess with trees.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Finally brought the MX5400 home today. My 20’ utility trailer is nowhere near heavy enough so I borrowed a friend’s trailer. It’s only 16’ but it got the job done.

The BH92 is in limbo waiting on the hydraulic thumb and quick attach coupler. It should be ready in February.

AC9AA6FB-96E3-4886-B9E7-85368A971B27.jpeg

29F6AA84-8044-4C05-8206-37FCCC0C32B9.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I spent a couple of hours in the woods clearing brush. I strapped on the tooth bar for the bucket and got after it.

first impression: stability. I have two ravines on my property. I never took the L3901 up or down the sides of the ravine. They’re not crazy steep but enough so that I wasn’t comfortable on the 3901. The MX with filled rear tires is a whole different animal.

power: this goes without saying, but the MX absolutely dominates the 3901. The MX pushed down large clumps of privet like I was raking leaves. I would attack some clumps multiple times with the L3901 before turning around and digging them out with the backhoe. The MX just steamrolled on through. It was quite fun.

I’ve only got 2 hours of seat time at this point, but I love this tractor.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
I assume you have your root grapple by now. I ordered the same one a month past.

How do you like it? Also what toothbar are you using?
I have not heard one peep from EA - I told my wife a couple of days ago that I'm expecting an email from them any day now letting me know the grapple is on the way.

The tooth bar is from Ratchet Rake. It works really well for larger brush. For tiny stuff, it's less effective. It works both pushing forward and back dragging. I think I saw it on TBN - quite a few people in the thread said they use it to grade their gravel driveways.

Ratchet Rake

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I have not heard one peep from EA - I told my wife a couple of days ago that I'm expecting an email from them any day now letting me know the grapple is on the way.

The tooth bar is from Ratchet Rake. It works really well for larger brush. For tiny stuff, it's less effective. It works both pushing forward and back dragging. I think I saw it on TBN - quite a few people in the thread said they use it to grade their gravel driveways.

Ratchet Rake
Woah. You ordered your root grapple in mid Jan? So 3 months (I was told 12 week delivery) puts you sometime this month.

I'm going to hold off on the ratchet rake until I start using the root grapple. I'm thinking the root grapple will do everything I need when clearing brush.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
Woah. You ordered your root grapple in mid Jan? So 3 months (I was told 12 week delivery) puts you sometime this month.

I'm going to hold off on the ratchet rake until I start using the root grapple. I'm thinking the root grapple will do everything I need when clearing brush.
I was told 10 weeks. Today marks 11 weeks + 1 day.

I bought the ratchet rake for my L3901 and used it to clear brush quite effectively. I didn't have a 3rd function and a grapple was never quite in reach considering the extra cost of the 3rd function. The ratchet rake has taken some serious abuse from the MX5400 and every tine is still straight as an arrow.

I likely wouldn't buy both if I were in the market, but since I already have the ratchet rake, I feel it'll be a good compliment to the grapple for removing certain types of brush that the grapple can't grab.