I needed an extra key...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
...For the older Kubota KX41-2v I recently bought.

I figured Kubota would be expensive so I did not check, just found a place on Amazon that would deliver FIVE keys for $8.99 plus sales tax. Decided to give them a try. They arrived today and work perfectly, even have the correct number stamped on them.

Actually, I figured that the Kubota price would be about $10 each, seeing that a fuse i needed previously listed at $5 each, when a pack of 5 locally was five bucks or less.

Out of curiosity, I just checked Messicks on-line price for this key. It comes in at $13.74 each! Shipping additional. I know, I know...But still...

There just seems something wrong with this picture...

I am not complaining, since I have nothing to complain about. Just posting because when something amazes me I like to share it with others...even if they already know I suppose...

Reactions: 2 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Reminds me of my relay scenario this summer (that I got poo-pooed on here about mentioning. Needed an ac blower relay, order it from my dealer (Kubota part), 56 bucks. In the meantime crossed the number on the relay (it's a Nissan relay), 5 bucks each, bought 2 and got free shipping so I have a couple spares.

56 bucks OEM, 5 bucks aftermarket (rock auto).

Posted it and got bad mouthed because I considered returning the 56 buck one. I kept it and smiled....lol

Motto of the story is, no motto....

I have plenty of keys, don't need them. Plenty of relays now as well.... :eek:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
So.... send the Rock Auto relay back to the Kubota dealer and ask for a $56 credit. LOL

Reactions: 3 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Reminds me of my relay scenario this summer (that I got poo-pooed on here about mentioning. Needed an ac blower relay, order it from my dealer (Kubota part), 56 bucks. In the meantime crossed the number on the relay (it's a Nissan relay), 5 bucks each, bought 2 and got free shipping so I have a couple spares.

56 bucks OEM, 5 bucks aftermarket (rock auto).

Posted it and got bad mouthed because I considered returning the 56 buck one. I kept it and smiled....lol

Motto of the story is, no motto....

I have plenty of keys, don't need them. Plenty of relays now as well.... :eek:
Flip, I was thinking of that post when I posted my recent experience...😄

Guess we just need to be aware of all the options...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I will say that the keys for the open station M9 and the Cab M9 don't interchange but that could be because of the door locks on the cab tractor.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Posted it and got bad mouthed because I considered returning the 56 buck one.
That's not surprising. Fanboyism is an ugly thing. Some people have such empty lives that they have to find their personal identity in the tools they own, or the cars they drive. Dare to suggest that their favorite chainsaw, truck, tractor, whatever might fall a bit short of divinity, and they get all bent out of shape.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Tractor ign keys have been universal for each manufacturer since as far back as I can remember(1960's). One would think with the enormous purchase price that tractors have escalated to that each tractor would have it's OWN SPECIAL KEY similar to automobiles/trucks.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have 1 key for 4 tractors and combine, easy and simple. Think of the PITA if you had sepatate keys for your equipment,let alone a big farm(say 7 tractors, 10 employees) you'd need to hire a 'key' person cause well Joe left his in his oily coveralls and Tom forgot where his went, and ....yeesh.... a nightmare !
I've got ONE key for ALL my other equipment. Replaced the ign switches with ONE unit. The 'trick' is to look at the keys in the package, and buy the ones with the same number. That way ALL keys work ALL switches....

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have 1 key for 4 tractors and combine, easy and simple. Think of the PITA if you had sepatate keys for your equipment,let alone a big farm(say 7 tractors, 10 employees) you'd need to hire a 'key' person cause well Joe left his in his oily coveralls and Tom forgot where his went, and ....yeesh.... a nightmare !
I've got ONE key for ALL my other equipment. Replaced the ign switches with ONE unit. The 'trick' is to look at the keys in the package, and buy the ones with the same number. That way ALL keys work ALL switches....
Who takes their keys out of the switch on a farm?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That's not surprising. Fanboyism is an ugly thing. Some people have such empty lives that they have to find their personal identity in the tools they own, or the cars they drive. Dare to suggest that their favorite chainsaw, truck, tractor, whatever might fall a bit short of divinity, and they get all bent out of shape.
Never looked at it that way but makes sense. Like the term 'Fanboyism' describes 'rank and file' opinions to a Tee.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Tractor ign keys have been universal for each manufacturer since as far back as I can remember(1960's). One would think with the enormous purchase price that tractors have escalated to that each tractor would have it's OWN SPECIAL KEY similar to automobiles/trucks.
Why I installed 12 volt lockable knife switches on both my units. I leave them in the field sometimes and the fields aren't adjacent to the farm so they aren't in sight. They have never been fooled with but not taking any chances so the electrical systems get locked out when parked away from here. I don't know if that would work with the new computer controlled (Post 4 units however). Mine are both pre 4 mechanical so cutting the power don't impact them at all. Of course I still take the keys with me but the keys look pretty easily defeatable.

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I do, all the time. Even when they are here in the barn. Habit I guess.
Back in the day, my father in law was general manager of a large farm of about 30 k acres down here in the delta. One night he was called out by the county sheriff to come to one of the fields where two kids around age of 12 years old were or had been joy riding in the field. They were driving around the field two large JD tractors and wrecking equipment. The tractors didn't have much damage but the disks were ruined from crashing into each other. From that time on all keys were removed at quitting time no matter how far out in the field.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
In the field, mine are usually hitched to expensive implements that I don't need (or want) damaged. Juvenile delinquents will be just that. I don't want to encourage that behavior nor do I want to deal with the insurance company. Malicious mischief can destroy expensive equipment quickly.

Reactions: 1 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Given that, why even HAVE a key? Why not just a "start" button?

Who takes their keys out of the switch on a farm?
I didn't for a long time, then I noticed the key was rusting, so I started removing it.