Newbie to newbie

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
I have gotten good advice here and from the manual. I wanted to share my experience.
At 10 hours, per the manual I checked the torque on the lug nuts and loader mounting bolts. Most were tight but many were not. I have also found a leaking hose and the tired over inflated.
Others here have mentioned low fluids.
So as one newbie to another. Foll

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Always good advice.

One thing I make a point to do is wash my tractor after every job. Not to make it pretty, but to check it out/inspect it. I learned this from my FIL years ago and have always done it since.

I start with the blower to give it a quick dust off. Raise the hood, blow off the motor and radiator. Then I follow with a quick wash. Looking/inspecting all the way.

I have found a whole lot of things over the years that could or would have caused damage or issues early by doing this. Stuff jammed where it shouldn't be, missing nuts/bolts/pins, low tires etc.

And there is the side benefit of having a nice clean machine.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
when I worked at the dealer service dept, I learn't a lot of stuff

one thing I learned was that you KNOW instantly if an owner is proud of his or her equipment just by it's appearance. With that, and talking to the owners, it became clear that even looking at their vehicle told all about how their new equipment was going to be treated. Someone who showed up with an old dodge 12v beat to heck and back with 14 shades of rust, they obviously didn't care much about the truck, and those types were almost guaranteed to be back with warranty repairs....and most of the time due to neglect or abuse (which isn't covered). But if I got a R/O for an M6, and I go out to the lot to grab the M6 for full service, and the M6 looks like new? And has 200 hours on it? You (me, the tech) takes a little more care of the customer's equipment--because it was obvious that the customer takes good care of his/her stuff as well. Now that's a generality but I found almost 100% of the time to be true. You bring a machine into the shop full of hay, grease, mud/poo and expect techs to put a little TLC into it? Good luck....they generally and a lot of times subconsciously treat it exactly as it appears to them. If it's well cared for, they put a little more time into it.

case in point yesterday. Customer brought me a Mule to work on (kawasaki). In our conversation before he showed up, I asked him of the type uses that it sees. Farm use. I asked him to stop by a car wash and blow the biggest part of the stuff off if he didn't mind, said he didn't have $5 and didn't have time. Ok fine. So it shows up I put it on my lift and start in. Well when you can't see the CV boots, you don't check them. Less likely to check tie rods, that kind of thing, if you can't see them. Either they can spend $5 to clean it off, or they can pay me $90/hr to do it with a garden hose. Or parts of the servicing don't get done. Usually the latter. Then the customer generally gripes about why this or that wasn't checked. As a tech, you can't win-ever.

Reactions: 2 users

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Mine are usually spotless and I farm (run hay) with them. They get the air hose blow off every day and washed weekly when I'm using them. I know Dennis appreciates that when he works on them.

Like my renter next door. Bought a new Escape because her old one was mechanically whipped (she never took care of it or washed it), gets the new one and for a couple days drove sanely on the dirt (mud) road. That lasted maybe a week and she's back to her old habits. Car is filthy, mud caked underneath and it's new. 2 mud tracks in the garage where she parks at night. headed down the same road, I'd say.

Dirt roads sandblast the under carriage of any vehicle and the mechanical components take a whipping and fail way before their time. All it takes is a little common sense but then common sense is lacking in people today I guess.

Bet it's shot well before the last payment is made.... duh.

swpflipper

Equipment
MX5400 HST, LA1065 FEL, HR2572 box blade - S30 flip Screen
Nov 3, 2020
Arizona
When I got my tractor to the yard I played with it some. Then I used a auto detailing spray that I use on my "cool cars". I detailed the tractor top to bottom. It's a good way to get to know the equipment. Then review the manual with the nice clean equipment.
Coincidentally enough, one of the MX,s first jobs is building a wash station for my other Trucks.
It makes it so much easier to find problems on a clean piece of equipment.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I get your point, lugbolt. I understand your message and agree that the mechanic will likely view the job as you’ve pointed it out..... that’s probably human nature..... but it’s not right, IMO.

When a customer brings his equipment in... regardless of it’s cleanliness...he should get the “Full Monty” of service that he pays for. Any conscientious service tech will first inspect the equipment as a method of seeing any evidence of leaks etc.... THEN clean the equipment for closer inspection.... before repairs and service is accomplished. It’s important to make the first inspection as-arrived because leaks can be evidenced by the mud/dirt which is oily.... but the cleaning and subsequent inspection can discover exact causes of leaks. (Is it a cracked case..?? ..or a leaking seal? The dirt reveals the general location which might be missed if it’s cleaned by the customer before it comes in. The clean-inspection allows for closer examination for hidden cracks versus leaking O-ring or gasket.
The customer should be informed that any cleaning necessary for complete inspection will incur the shop cost as part of the W.O. (As opposed to that stoopid “miscellaneous charge” shops assume I’ll submit to.... because if they can’t itemize the work performed and the materials used....I won’t be paying for it.)
When I pick up my equipment after a service-call...and it’s properly serviced and CLEAN.... I immediately feel like I’ve received my money’s worth. If the shop tries to return it to me filthy...they get my opinion on that ... as well as my close-scrutiny of their ”service invoice” versus the W.O.

That’s my “opinion” based upon a career as a service-tech/mechanic/inspector/service-mgr and customer.

Reactions: 1 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I get your point, lugbolt. I understand your message and agree that the mechanic will likely view the job as you’ve pointed it out..... that’s probably human nature..... but it’s not right, IMO.

When a customer brings his equipment in... regardless of it’s cleanliness...he should get the “Full Monty” of service that he pays for. Any conscientious service tech will first inspect the equipment as a method of seeing any evidence of leaks etc.... THEN clean the equipment for closer inspection.... before repairs and service is accomplished. It’s important to make the first inspection as-arrived because leaks can be evidenced by the mud/dirt which is oily.... but the cleaning and subsequent inspection can discover exact causes of leaks. (Is it a cracked case..?? ..or a leaking seal? The dirt reveals the general location which might be missed if it’s cleaned by the customer before it comes in. The clean-inspection allows for closer examination for hidden cracks versus leaking O-ring or gasket.
The customer should be informed that any cleaning necessary for complete inspection will incur the shop cost as part of the W.O. (As opposed to that stoopid “miscellaneous charge” shops assume I’ll submit to.... because if they can’t itemize the work performed and the materials used....I won’t be paying for it.)
When I pick up my equipment after a service-call...and it’s properly serviced and CLEAN.... I immediately feel like I’ve received my money’s worth. If the shop tries to return it to me filthy...they get my opinion on that ... as well as my close-scrutiny of their ”service invoice” versus the W.O.

That’s my “opinion” based upon a career as a service-tech/mechanic/inspector/service-mgr and customer.
Washing your dirty tractor ISN'T covered under warranty.

Most people who abuse their equipment also complain the loudest about prices in the service bay. That has been my experience.

I have never had a tractor back to be serviced so I don't know how my dealer would handle it but it wouldn't matter anyway, aside from the recent dust from the trip to him, it would be clean.

I think the dealer should treat YOUR equipment the same way you do. What's not to like? Now if you handed it to him clean and got it back filthy, that would be an issue.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Most people who abuse their equipment also complain the loudest about prices in the service bay. That has been my experience.
What is your source for that statement? (About “most people”)? Where did that statistic come from?
Or is that the personal experience only you have?

I’m not targeting you personally Dog... I’m addressing your conception.

Did you ever take your car into the dealer and get it back freshly washed and vacuumed-out? How did that make you feel? (Versus with all the grandkids free-range cheerios still on the floorboards and mud splashed all over the lower body panels)... ?

I don’t care if it’s my tractor.... car.... or gun..... Getting it back clean tells me about what kind of service the shop does... and whether they’ll get my business again.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have a brother that was a service writer for CAT until he retired early. I have a SIL (his wife) that is a service writer for Ford (still is). These are the stories I hear. My personal involvement of people that do not take care of their equipment is more limited, but they do fit a pattern.

Are you saying that people who abuse and do not take care of their equipment are the quietest at the dealership? That is the opposite of everything I have heard. What are you basing that on?

Personally I have been very blessed. 7 new trucks in my lifetime and I have been back to the dealership a total of one time for a recall, never for service.

4000+ hours on my old tractor without breaking anything that required a dealer and over 400 on my new one now and she is going strong.

If I ever do need to take the truck or tractor in, they will go in clean and I won't demand anything, it is just the way I am.

I know my wifes Lincoln is washed by the dealer everytime she has it in for the oil changes, I always suspected nepotism but it actually comes with the Lincoln purchase.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

Are you saying that people who abuse and do not take care of their equipment are the quietest at the dealership? That is the opposite of everything I have heard. What are you basing that on?
Since I did not say that... I don’t need to provide a basis for something I didn’t say. Your implication or interpretation is askew. Firstly you claim you‘ve never taken your equipment in for service but once.... so you have little first-hand experience with regard to the subject on which you stated “in my experience.”

My post was in response to lugbolts experience at his unhappy previous employment with reference to providing service to the customer.... as he seemed to have a low-opinion of the folks who brought their equipment in for service dirty...which forced him to work on dirty-equipment.... which provoked him to make darn sure he gave it back to them dirty. I think that’s a rotten way to treat a customer and if that had happened to me I WOULD be a loud-complaining customer, and rightly so!

YMMV

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
........ I WOULD be a loud-complaining customer ........
On that everyone here can agree, regardless of the situation.

What is wrong with them treating your equipment as you do?

If you wanted to pay me shop rate to wash your equipment, I would have no problem with that, wax included. Or were you expecting it free?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
On that everyone here can agree, regardless of the situation.

What is wrong with them treating your equipment as you do?

If you wanted to pay me shop rate to wash your equipment, I would have no problem with that, wax included. Or were you expecting it free?
You are continuing to imagine what I might do with my equipment in this scenario as a method of disagreeing with whatever it is you want to object. Let me be clear: I DON’T ABUSE my equipment and I keep it clean.
But if I take it to the service dept... I won’t plan on polishing it up so they can enjoy it’s beauty.... I’ll be taking it to them to get it FIXED. And if they give it back to be filthy .... I may not fuss about it...but I damn sure won’t be impressed by their failure to pay attention to detail.
On the other hand, if they return it to me fixed and cleaned up.... I’ll be happy as a jaybird and will certainly be more likely to take it to them again for additional service! I view it as a matter of PRIDE in their WORKMANSHIP..... and if they don’t take pride in their work product then they don’t get brownie-points for it.
He may not have meant it that way, but lugbolt’s previous comments came across to me as an unhappy employee with an attitude who decided to not do a damn thing more than the minimum and to hell with the customer because he’s (lugbolt) OUTTA here! If I were his employer and knew that was his attitude ...yes...he would be outta there.

I’m reminded of the sign behind the service-desk at a business I frequent which says:
Any employee here not fired with enthusiasm will be.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
OK, so you changed your tune.

My brother laughed about this at the poker game last night.

At CAT NO washing is included and it was a flat rate charged (rental or owned). When he left it was 250.00/under 10 ton and 500.00/over 10 ton.

He said they never noticed it effecting sales.

I just don't see why anyone would be upset for someone treating their equipment like THEY do. Maybe the customer likes the neglected look.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
OK, so you changed your tune.

My brother laughed about this at the poker game last night.

At CAT NO washing is included and it was a flat rate charged (rental or owned). When he left it was 250.00/under 10 ton and 500.00/over 10 ton.

He said they never noticed it effecting sales.

I just don't see why anyone would be upset for someone treating their equipment like THEY do. Maybe the customer likes the neglected look.
I didn’t change my ”tune”. I’m glad you have a supportive BIL who laughs at your version.... I”ve been laughing as well. This is not about a W.O. Request for a “wash job”. It’s not about customer-expectation of a wash-job. Certainly if a customer brings in equipment and requests a wash-job he should expect to be charged for it. This is not about returning the equipment spotless like it’s been through “make ready”....
It’s about customer service and pride of workmanship and a rant by a mechanic about his job/workplace and thinking he can tell a customer to freshly-wash their equipment before bringing it in for repair... implying he will not give top-quality care based upon the cleanliness of the equipt.
It’s about the mechanic who rants about owners who “don’t take care” of their equipment somehow deserve less-than-great service for the mechanics perception of that owner. Hell! He brought it IN for proper care! What’ wrong with that picture?

That’s how it came across to me, and it reminded me of my last visit to the Toyota dealer for a recall on my wife’s car... when it was returned to me freshly washed, vacuumed, and how good it made me feel about that shop. I’m also coming from a past-career as a service-tech at a dealership... which paid my way to get trained into a better job... aircraft maintenance... where the legal description and regulatory requirement of an inspection specifies that the equipment must be cleaned as an integral part of the job. You cannot properly inspect/examine for defects and make proper repairs without doing some cleaning. From the regs: “Maintenance instructions: ..and equipment ... should be cleaned, inspected, adjusted, tested, and lubricated, ....”

I know the come-back... Tractors are not Airplanes... but the principle still applies. IMO

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
No, we were totally laughing at you. I get it, you want a free wash. At CAT you don't get one. I didn't think free wash was part of dealer servicing. According to the people I know who do it for a living it isn't.

Aren't you the guy always complaining that people don't read their manuals? If you read yours under maintenance you should see wash and keep clean. It read it in both my new manuals.

As far as lugbolt goes, good on him. Charge them full shop rate to clean THEIR mess. IMO - only a freeloader would expect any different.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a slightly different perspective on the issue. When I was discussing hauling my tractor in for service versus having them come out and do it, they said the advantage to hauling it was they could power wash it first. They have a nice new clean shop area, so I can imagine scraping mud off the pieces they need to get to would not be welcome, nor do I want dirt getting in the threads of the oil drain plugs. BUT I didn’t want maybe the most junior member of the team blasting water at the computer modules that run my beastie. Not keen on power washing the wiring, and the ECM is just above rear wheel, not where you would expect it. So we settled on service at my place and I make sure the undercarriage of the tractor is clean and dry. My pole barn has concrete floor, good lighting, and good ventilation so they are happy to come out and do the routine stuff. Wish it were heated, but we can pick warm days. I am grateful for their help, and glad to pay for it.