Headlight Re-pin?

arnoldra

Equipment
B2410 w/60" MMM
Mar 26, 2020
Gibsonville, NC
Hey all, the used unit I picked awhile ago has a wire trouble. I've been slowly fixing the little things wrong with the machine (thanks in part to forum searches here, ya'll are great) over the last few months. I discovered that it looks like mice go into the top of the hood and chewed on the headlight wires right at the back of the connector that the bulb socket plugs into. There isn't enough copper to splice onto and what little was there started falling off as soon as I started fiddling with it.

How hard is it to repin a connector? This part does not exist in the parts manual, and I've called a few places and they say the same thing. Either I need one off another unit or they suggest repin the connector. I have never done this before, and a quick youtube search shows lots of videos but of different connectors than this one.

Any input or thoughts? They are always appreciated.

-Rick

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't know where you can get the entire plug or the pins, but I would consider removing (cutting off) the short piece of cylinder plastic the wires are coming out of and see if there is enough good wire to solder an extension onto. You could then seal the back with some liquid tape.

arnoldra

Equipment
B2410 w/60" MMM
Mar 26, 2020
Gibsonville, NC

Have replacement connectors for 75 bucks, but will ship me pins with precrimped wires for 20, and talked me through how to repin it. Pretty happy with that.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
One of the irritating things about my M4700 are the stoopid headlights: First, they are placed so Low they are useless except for studying the back of the bucket and/or blinding you with backscatter at night.
(My Kubota-dealer claims that’s as high as the Japs could reach when they designed it.)

Second, even if they WERE placed usefully..... they are a proprietary and expensive lamp that puts out INADEQUATE amount of yellow light. I resolved the issue by mounting a L.E.D. Lightbar on top of the grill-guard.... BUT, If I were in the OP’s situation... I think I’d go down to AutoZone or NAPA and buy whatever common headlight connector will fit whatever halogen lamp that fits into the headlight lens.... Get RID of the factory terminal/connector permanently. IMO

Meanwhile... another option is to use some wire to EXTEND the harness to an LED lightbar mounted where YOU want one and disregard the OEM headlights.

1EFEF763-4628-4A6C-864B-5D58C3BD15CA.jpeg CAE93D57-3FF4-4FB2-A937-FB59979F5A91.jpeg

Last edited:

arnoldra

Equipment
B2410 w/60" MMM
Mar 26, 2020
Gibsonville, NC
One of the irritating things about my M4700 are the stoopid headlights: First, they are placed so Low they are useless except for studying the back of the bucket and/or blinding you with backscatter at night.
Second, even if they WERE placed usefully..... they are a proprietary and expensive lamp that puts out INADEQUATE amount of yellow light. I resolved the issue by mounting a L.E.D. Lightbar on top of the grill-guard.... BUT, If I were in the OP’s situation... I think I’d go down to AutoZone or NAPA and buy whatever common headlight connector will fit whatever halogen lamp that fits into the headlight lens.... Get RID of the factory terminal/connector permanently. IMO

I thought about that honestly. I'm looking around at changing the incandescent bulbs to something else. I don't run a loader on my machine (had an old small bobcat prior to the kubota arrival) but am considering mounting some LED floodlamps on the fenders/rops area. I don't find myself doing much after dark, but who's to say that wouldn't change down the road?

My dad did a whole changover to LED on his B series (can't remember model, a few years older than mine) but was not happy with the end result. So rather than try to change the stock lights, I may just add lights up front on the bumper or do some rear mounted ones that I can turn around and pivot/etc.

Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Arnoldra... I was apparently editing my post in order to add some pics to it while you were responding...so you might re-visit my post to see how I added LEDs.

arnoldra

Equipment
B2410 w/60" MMM
Mar 26, 2020
Gibsonville, NC
Arnoldra... I was apparently editing my post in order to add some pics to it while you were responding...so you might re-visit my post to see how I added LEDs.

Lol. Looks like! I like that setup, I bet it makes a huge difference up front. I had picked up a pair of these for my bobcat a year or so back (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5S1SF5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I really like them. Been thinking about adding them on a swivel mount on my Kubota.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
YES! It lights up the pasture like it’s a FOOTBALL FIELD! Amazingly useful, as I use my tractor to mow two runways and like to do this at night during Texas summers. (Not rich like Flip and can’t afford a cab AND an open-station.).

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
YEESH,you can rewire for FREE, simply remove the pins ( that's what dental picks are for), add wire to the pin, reinstall, connect to wiring harness. Eazy-peazy......BTDT for 5 decades...

arnoldra

Equipment
B2410 w/60" MMM
Mar 26, 2020
Gibsonville, NC
Yeah, it was all new to me. Next time I might try to scab on some wire, but the black didn't have much for me to add to. The cost of picking up new pins was only marginally cheaper than getting pins with new wire already crimped on. Appreciate the info and input.

Attachments