Residential 50" vs Commercial 55"

countryboy9799

Equipment
BX2380
May 23, 2020
MN
It's getting to be that time of year where I need to get a blower for my BX2380. I have a fair amount to blow but I have done most of it with a 27" walk behind and 4 wheeler with a plow so even the 50" will be a major upgrade. I can get the 50" for $3,500 vs over 5K for the 55". It's my understanding that the 55" is standard for hyd. rotation and I would have to add more cost to the 50" so it might not be quite such a difference. I really don't need the hyd. rotation because to me it isn't that big of a deal. I live in central MN so we can go years with barely any snow and maybe 1/5 we can get some decent snow, our yard doesn't have much of a problem with hard drifts so I usually don't work it that hard, in fact with the 27" walk behind that is far from commercial grade I usually use the 4 wheeler to make a windrow to make it quicker to blow.

skypros

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 2, 2018
Bend, OR
On kubotausa.com I just priced the different snowblowers with the K-connect ($710) and the 4-point hitch ($729)
For me I was not interested in the 55" snowblower....
48" commercial $4793
50" standard $3543
"I think" that the $1250 difference to HAVE the Hydraulic rotation (cost $840-$865) PLUS having a heavy duty system is well worth the extra $$

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I gasp at the prices for these, especially the 'commercial' ones.... gotta be HUGE profit in them. Myabe, just maybe, IF, you get tons of snow everyday and have contracts, then you might 'need' a commerical unit.
As long as you go reasonably slow and don't 'bite off more than you can chew', standard made equipment will out live most of us. I've run a Berco 40" on my Craftsman rider for 15-16 years,doing 5-7 of my neighbours that have 300' driveways. Aside from belts and shoes, it still runs fine. Last year I bodged a selfpowered, 48" dual SSQA snowblower unit....it didn't snow enough to even start it up..... Coins out of my pocket totaled less than 500 Canucks.,including electrics to turn both chutes. Ok, it ain't 'pretty', but only take 30 seconds to switch between it and the bucket.
Any PTO powered unit should last 'forever'...

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I went with a BX2680 and a 48" commercial blower last year. Cab installed also. The 48" blower is big enough. The BX2680 has its pants full with a good snowfall. The hydraulic rotation is great. I had them install the electric spout control also. I am also in MN. I think the commercial unit is worth the extra expense as it is built heavier. I have had walk behinds and front mounts before. I chose Kubota over Deere last year for the power spout, cab windows, and the snow blower looks better built. Good luck in whatever you choose. Post back after you have used it and let us know how it works.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just installed my 76" Lucknow on the back. My insurance it won't snow.

sn0wman72

Nov 16, 2019
Plain, WA
Another plus for the commercial series is that they generally have a geardrive reduction box, as compared to chaindrive on the residential. The extra for the commercial version is worth it to me: heavy gauge materials, hydro chute rotation and the gear box

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
This will be the 3rd winter for our gently used Buhler 50" 3pt blower.. Blower is 50", tractor is 54", but that doesn't matter..

I turned the right 3pt pin to the inside, which offsets the blower an inch outside the right tire.. This and it gives a bit more room for the tire chains on turf tires away from the 3pt arms..

When we first got the blower, I give it a good going over, adjust, lube, what ever it needed.. I pulled a number of bolts out and used anti seize compound on them.. these being things that I don't want to have problems getting apart in cold weather if need be..

It works very well.. The one thing I plan on doing next summer is to install a square of tire tread on each of the 4 second stage paddles so it runs tighter in the housing.. I've read this helps the blower launch snow higher and farther..

Anyone done that ?? ??

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
There's lots of stuff on the Net about it. If you can get <1/4" you're doing good. The BIG thing is to make sure the blower is BALANCED ! # the blades, then disconnect it from drive so it free wheels, see how it spins. If the same blade ends up on the btm, it's heavy, so trim it or add weight( another nut/bolt) to the opposite blade. Be sure to clean and locktite every fastener you use !!

countryboy9799

Equipment
BX2380
May 23, 2020
MN
I ended up going with the 50" residential because it was about 1,900 dollars cheaper. I guess I just don't feel like the need/hyd. rotation can be justified right now. We are working on a major house project ATM and funds are getting thin. My thought is that I purchased a low end Murray blower at Menards 22 years ago and 14 years ago we moved to the country where there can be a lot of blowing at times and that has held up, I wish the funds at that time were better because I would have liked to have an Ariens or similar but I also could have spent 2,500 on a Honda too.

I take care of my stuff so if the Murray has held up to the hours I have put on it the Kubota darn well better than that. I might fab some kind of rotation as I am handy with that and I am sure I will be 5 to 10 times happier than the 27" walk behind I have been using. I guess the other part of it is 8 out of 10 snow falls we don't get enough so I have my son windrow the snow with the 4 wheeler plow so I turn my 27" into about a 60 inch and if I get really buried or it is wet and heavy I also have a skid steer and sometimes a bucket works better.

I will pick it up next week and they are getting hard to find in my area as I am driving 120 miles to get one because my local dealers tell me that it will be the end of the year and the only close dealer was 400 higher and wouldn't match.

ravensview

Equipment
bx23slb
Nov 18, 2019
U.P.,MI,USA
I have a bx23s with the residential blower and hydraulic chute rotation, my driveway is around 400’ long plus turnarounds and extra areas, I think it’s a 2816 or something like that, it has handled all that I have asked of it, we are in a snowbelt area and get roughly 280” of snow yearly, a lot of times 24-30” at a time, at this time of year if you want a snowblower you may not have a choice as too what is available in a reasonable amount of time, I believe the commercial unit is direct or gear driven over the chain drive and that it is overall a heavier duty unit, if you can afford it I would go with the the commercial unit but the residential should work just fine, I know I am pleased with mine. Good luck

countryboy9799

Equipment
BX2380
May 23, 2020
MN
I have a bx23s with the residential blower and hydraulic chute rotation, my driveway is around 400’ long plus turnarounds and extra areas, I think it’s a 2816 or something like that, it has handled all that I have asked of it, we are in a snowbelt area and get roughly 280” of snow yearly, a lot of times 24-30” at a time, at this time of year if you want a snowblower you may not have a choice as too what is available in a reasonable amount of time, I believe the commercial unit is direct or gear driven over the chain drive and that it is overall a heavier duty unit, if you can afford it I would go with the the commercial unit but the residential should work just fine, I know I am pleased with mine. Good luck
Good to know, if the residential is handling the amount of snow you get I am sure we will be good with the 47" average we get. We rarely get over 15 and even those aren't that commen.