Drive over cattle gaurd

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I love it when people who have cattle, dont even know how a cattle guard works.
Now that is whats really funny.
And just so you know, your theory has been dis-proven years ago from a mere painting of light and dark strips, at different spacing's, on a flat surface. Yet people like you continue accusing others of things you are not yet aware of.
You’ve mis-quoted me... I wrote “I love it when people who have NO cattle.....”

We had such a painted faux-guard here at our front yard. It took all of three days before the cows disregarded it.
From Texas A&M University:
Ted Friend, of Texas A & M, has tested the response of several hundred head of cattle to painted grids, and has found that naïve animals avoid them just as much as those previously exposed to real grids. Nevertheless, the spell of a fake grid can be broken. If cows are driven towards one under pressure, or if food is placed on the other side, a few will jump it; but sometimes one will examine it closely and then simply walk across. If one member of a herd does this, then the others soon follow. Thereafter, the phoney grid ceases to act as a barrier

Back atcha...

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
All you did was reinforce my point about perception.

If cows are driven towards one under pressure - cattle will try to cross either example (real or faux) if driven under pressure - or if food is placed on the other side - seriously?...food placed, who thought up this alure ? - a few will jump it - only under the first example of being driven, they will not try to jump if built wide enough; but sometimes one will examine it closely - again they dont perceive the same - and then simply walk across - thats because its not real...AND because the conditions given, have been chosen for a faux example "only", then yes they may place one of their hooves on it and possibly figure out its not real, especially from sense of smell, but NOT by perception, and if it was a real cattle guard that was in place, and they were to simply try to cross, without being forced, then it wasnt built to specification to begin with. - If one member of a herd does this, then the others soon follow. No kidding Thereafter, the phoney grid ceases to act as a barrier - but a real grid built correctly, stands the test of time.

As a young man working for an educated farmer, these cattle guards always fascinated me, and so when I asked why the cattle didnt attempt to cross. He gave me the answer I desired, and then some. He is the one who told me about the studies that have been done that reaffirm my statements. I use to have some information about this on my old computer, and wish I had it now.
Anyway, this was that man,
and based on the context of your reply, you know more than someone like myself could ever learn.

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You can paint all the strips across the road that you want but after a short time they will cross it. I would not rely upon some paint strips to stop hundreds of pounds of beef when they decide they want to go somewhere. They test everything after a while. Put them in a pasture with a barb wire fence and they will be content as long as they have food and water. But after some time has passed one of them will put her nose under the wire and pop the staple. Poof she is out and onto the road. They refuse to read and follow the rules.

Twobit

Equipment
L275-DT with loader & a 1940 Farmall H
Aug 7, 2020
SW Texas
Wasn’t it Obama who wanted to fire all the cattle guards?

OK seriously, all around here, SW Texas, there are hundreds of them . Most are 2 7/8” oil well drill pipe, heavy wall. By the way, goats go across them easily.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
All you did was reinforce my point about perception.

If cows are driven towards one under pressure - cattle will try to cross either example (real or faux) if driven under pressure - or if food is placed on the other side - seriously?...food placed, who thought up this alure ? - a few will jump it - only under the first example of being driven, they will not try to jump if built wide enough; but sometimes one will examine it closely - again they dont perceive the same - and then simply walk across - thats because its not real...AND because the conditions given, have been chosen for a faux example "only", then yes they may place one of their hooves on it and possibly figure out its not real, especially from sense of smell, but NOT by perception, and if it was a real cattle guard that was in place, and they were to simply try to cross, without being forced, then it wasnt built to specification to begin with. - If one member of a herd does this, then the others soon follow. No kidding Thereafter, the phoney grid ceases to act as a barrier - but a real grid built correctly, stands the test of time.

As a young man working for an educated farmer, these cattle guards always fascinated me, and so when I asked why the cattle didnt attempt to cross. He gave me the answer I desired, and then some. He is the one who told me about the studies that have been done that reaffirm my statements. I use to have some information about this on my old computer, and wish I had it now.
Anyway, this was that man,
and based on the context of your reply, you know more than someone like myself could ever learn.
OK. You win. Your cows are more stupid than mine.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
You can paint all the strips across the road that you want but after a short time they will cross it. I would not rely upon some paint strips to stop hundreds of pounds of beef when they decide they want to go somewhere. They test everything after a while. Put them in a pasture with a barb wire fence and they will be content as long as they have food and water. But after some time has passed one of them will put her nose under the wire and pop the staple. Poof she is out and onto the road. They refuse to read and follow the rules.
The info below is from Wikipedia. Long ago traveling on highways in Western USA I saw stripes painted across highways that I was told were utilized in place of true cattle guards. Maybe todays cattle have higher IQ's than cattle yrs ago but I seriously doubt that the case. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_grid

Attachments

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Ever since I traveled "out West" and saw my first cattle guards I was fascinated with them for some strange reason and I find this thread intensely interesting. As a boy, I found the western states to be a strange and wonderful place with windmills, cattle guards, oil pump jacks, cactus and beauty beyond anything I'd ever seen in Michigan. I checked out all the links in the replies above and I really like the one that simply lays on top of the road, made by the woman owned business...the name escapes me at the moment.

I'd love to have a cattle guard on my driveway just because I think they are cool but unfortunately they lack the ability to keep ne'er-do-wells off my property.

StephenHotchkiss

Oct 29, 2020
United States
If the bars are up off the ground the height of a railroad tie, about 10 alternatives of over the counter phentermine mentioned here inches, would that for month the cows from crossing? I guess I could dig a pit.
A cattle grid – also known as a stock grid in Australia; cattle guard in American English; vehicle pass, Texas gate, or stock gap in the Southeastern United States; and a cattle stop in New Zealand English – is a type of obstacle used to prevent livestock, such as sheep, cattle, pigs, horses, or mules from passing

Last edited: