B7100 glow plug indicator not glowing.

Little tractor20

Equipment
B7100d
Sep 21, 2020
Ohio
Whats up everyone. I have an old b7100. Glow plug indicator does not glow. I know the glow plugs are working because tractor will not start cold unless I cycle the glow plugs. I think it might the filament might be smoked. Any ideas would be appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Whats up everyone. I have an old b7100. Glow plug indicator does not glow. I know the glow plugs are working because tractor will not start cold unless I cycle the glow plugs. I think it might the filament might be smoked. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Take it out - or unhook one lead off the back - set your ohm meter to continuity and see if it reads ZERO ohms or something real close to zero - or if you have an audible meter - see if it beeps.

I have only seen mine glow once - and that was I wanted to see it glow - had to hold the switch for at least 45 seconds to see it in dim light.

they are about 40 bucks to replace!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If your "indicator" is a coil of nichrome wire like many older tractors you may NOT see it glow. If it burns out or opens in any way though your glow plugs won't work at all. They're wired in series with it. Glow plugs run at 10.5 volts. That coil of wire drops the extra 1.5 volts.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I thought mine was not glowing early on. Turns out, they get crusty with corrosion & dirt. I cleaned mine with a fiberglass pencil, and it glows just fine. Now, after a few years, I can only see it in low light (dark) conditions.
For those who have never seen the fiberglass pencil, (cleaning brush) they can be had in various sizes:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If your "indicator" is a coil of nichrome wire like many older tractors you may NOT see it glow. If it burns out or opens in any way though your glow plugs won't work at all. They're wired in series with it. Glow plugs run at 10.5 volts. That coil of wire drops the extra 1.5 volts.
With the Key in the start position, the glow indicator is bypassed and the GP's receive power.

This feature an cause confusion when troubleshooting the GP's

Study the two schematics and you will see how the GP indicator is bypassed in the Key start position.

In pre heat the power flows from Terminal #30 to terminal #19, then throught the GP indicator and finally out to the GP's via terminal #17.

In the Start position power flows from terminal #30 to terminal #17 (bypassing the Indicator) and out to the GP's.

forum B7100 GP 1.jpg

forum B7100 gp 2.jpg

Dave