Hydraulic Fluid Dye

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
When its time for me to replace my trans/hydraulic fluid and filters...
1) Is it alright to add a dye while its still under warranty ?
2) If its alright to use it, does someone have a specific brand of dye they prefer, and if so, why ?
Thanks

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The only one of which I'm aware is by John Deere. It's under $10 per bottle. I've not checked whether it's okay for warranty use.

Reactions: 1 user

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
The only one of which I'm aware is by John Deere. It's under $10 per bottle. I've not checked whether it's okay for warranty use.
Thats a good price compared to some others Ive seen online. Now I must make sure about the warranty, and so maybe I will place a call to Kubota in the next day or so, just to see what they say.
Thanks

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I don't use dye but just have someone watch the sight glass as I add UDT2 when changing hydraulic fluid or filters, if you add fluid at a reasonable rate the person watching the sight glass will clearly see the fluid and help you get the right level. I tried it on my own the first time and slightly overfilled, I could not tell the level at all. I'm interested to see what you find out about Kubota's thoughts on dye and warranty.

Reactions: 1 user

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I don't use dye but just have someone watch the sight glass as I add UDT2 when changing hydraulic fluid or filters, if you add fluid at a reasonable rate the person watching the sight glass will clearly see the fluid and help you get the right level. I tried it on my own the first time and slightly overfilled, I could not tell the level at all. I'm interested to see what you find out about Kubota's thoughts on dye and warranty.
Great idea with the extra eyes. The problem I have is seeing the level every time I check it.
Thanks.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Called Kubota, and Technical Support Team says, yes that it "could" void the warranty. Initially and ultimately, its up to the dealer, but Kubota says (suggests) not to add anything to the fluid.
So this means that I will not be adding any dye, while under warranty. I will also do as UpNorthMI suggested.
I guess it would also be prudent to drain and refill, when the unit is cold and the three point is lowered.