Best cold weather bib overalls?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well now that I've turned 74 and no longer really love the snow quite as much as I used to,
... winter is coming. I used to wear an old snow ski suit but found it to be too bulky on the tractor. Time to splurge

what have open station operators found to be good solutions? Carhartt ? Something else?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Look at something made with Gortex to stay dry and warm. I've been in my Klim Snowmobile gear for over 12 years and still looks and performs like new.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Check out RK they are haveing a sale on heated jackets they might hve some coveralls too

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Carhartt quilt lined bibs & jacket, also think about what you wear underneath, I find a few light layers help too and keep the bulk down. Congrats on the 74.

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Any snowmobile gear should be good. I’m a Skidoo guy, I agree with Tughill Tom, the stuff with Gortex will be good whatever the brand. Klim is likely the best. Skidoo brand stuff is my go to, FXR is also good.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
I'm 60 and live in North Pole AK. Been operating open station for quite a few years. Like you said. The thrill is gone. I wear under armor long johns (thin yet warm) then polar fleece long johns, then then woodland military goretex pants. Surprisingly warm and not bulky. It's what we wore during arctic survival school. Socks are 2 layer. Thin like dress socks then good wool socks and good warm boots. Once your feet get cold it's all over.
My second choice is carhart bibs. They're a bit bulkier and do get wet if it's blowing snow on you.
Stay warm you young whipper snapper.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have done ok with cheap quilted coveralls, some kind of snow bibs from the local big box sports store. But they go over smart wool long johns, very thin, and jeans, and as mentioned above a thin pair of socks and thicker pair. Last year when my old bibs were beyond patching, I got a pair from a Pro Bass? catalogue. They have better quilting and since they are really designed for duck hunting, waterproof. I could live without the camo pattern, but doesn't really matter. Legs a little long for me, and a little bulkier than I like, but definitely warmer. Worth a look.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I'm 60 and live in North Pole AK. Been operating open station for quite a few years. Like you said. The thrill is gone. I wear under armor long johns (thin yet warm) then polar fleece long johns, then then woodland military goretex pants. Surprisingly warm and not bulky. It's what we wore during arctic survival school. Socks are 2 layer. Thin like dress socks then good wool socks and good warm boots. Once your feet get cold it's all over.
My second choice is carhart bibs. They're a bit bulkier and do get wet if it's blowing snow on you.
Stay warm you young whipper snapper.

Thanks for everyone's replies. It has me narrowing my focus now.

Frozenorange - Btw abt 10 years ago I took a solo mc ride from CT to AK. I rode through North Pole on my way to Fairbanks and then south to Denali. You live in a big and awesome state!
On the way home, either in AK or the Yukon Ter at abt 4am in the middle of July, 37 degrees - no wonder you know all abt cold weather gear. My dad spent the war in Fairbanks - he wasn't impressed 😐

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Carhartts with Merino Wool undies and wool socks with good insulated hunting boots.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I have Blizzard overalls and jacket. Keeps me nice and toasty. I believe the wife ordered them online. They are not waterproof for that you need to give them a good dosing of Scotchgard. My boots are rated at ;east to -30F and are Rocky's. My only complaint is that they do such a good job, that you need to dry them out overnight if you intend to wear them the next day. Usually wear a cotton sock with a nice wool sock over top. If I start to get cold, I hop off and do some manual labor to get things warmed up again. How much I layer depends on the task. If I'm cutting wood or shoveling snow, then long johns and layers I can strip out of. If it is just sitting on the tractor pushing snow, then I look like Randy from that Christmas Story movie.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Well now that I've turned 74 and no longer really love the snow quite as much as I used to,
... winter is coming. I used to wear an old snow ski suit but found it to be too bulky on the tractor. Time to splurge

what have open station operators found to be good solutions? Carhartt ? Something else?
Life's too short to be uncomfortable. Get a cabbed tractor with a heater and clean snow in your jammies. I wish I added a cab 30 years sooner.

PS you can't take it with you, mind as well enjoy it now.

FrozenOrange

Equipment
L3901HST, B7100
May 8, 2017
North Pole Alaska
Life's too short to be uncomfortable. Get a cabbed tractor with a heater and clean snow in your jammies. I wish I added a cab 30 years sooner.

PS you can't take it with you, mind as well enjoy it now.
Installed my Original Tractor Cab on my L3901 last week. So nice to crawl into a dry seat and turn on the heater. It's 39 and raining today brrr

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I prefer Berne Apparel insulated bibs and here's why: They have heavy zippers from the ankle to the waist, plus one from the waist to the chest on the front. The insulation goes all the way up the back to just below the shoulder and all the way up the chest. They are reasonably priced. They are imported just like Carhartts. They are toasty warm and combined with a good jacket and hat will make a great cold weather outfit if your sitting still. If you start working, you'll be too warm...at least I will!

Reactions: 1 user

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I wear Tough Duck's. Cheaper than Carhart and better quality.

Reactions: 1 user