Moly is out

britej

Equipment
M7060HD
Jun 5, 2020
Queen City Texas
I have been greasing with Rotella Moly grease for the past couple of times.. that stuff, while it may be great grease, is the messiest crap ever. The side of loader arms look like a tar truck splattered it and much of my clothes have grease spots all over them (yeah, i probably put too much in the zerks). I am switching to Lucas Red n Tacky. Any tips on cleaning the black grease off? Im thinking of using purple power or some type of degreaser to loosen it up and powerwash it off. --also, i assume red n tacky will be compatible with moly without breaking down.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
It is my understanding Moly grease is superior for loaders/backhoes. I know it is messy, but supposed to be the best for that application.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I use moly and always have. I use a disposable shop towel to remove the ooze. No Lucas for me. Lubrication Engineers only.

Actually moly disulfide

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
You are using WAY too much grease.

Reactions: 1 user

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301. loader an backhoe, EA grapple, Titan pallet forks, brush hog 18ft. landsc
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
I have been greasing with Rotella Moly grease for the past couple of times.. that stuff, while it may be great grease, is the messiest crap ever. The side of loader arms look like a tar truck splattered it and much of my clothes have grease spots all over them (yeah, i probably put too much in the zerks). I am switching to Lucas Red n Tacky. Any tips on cleaning the black grease off? Im thinking of using purple power or some type of degreaser to loosen it up and powerwash it off. --also, i assume red n tacky will be compatible with moly without breaking down.
If you think the rotella is messy wait till you use the red n tacky. That stuff just runs out of my grease gun like oil after it hangs in my shop for a while.

Reactions: 1 user

britej

Equipment
M7060HD
Jun 5, 2020
Queen City Texas
Yeah, I know Moly is very good due to its ability to withstand extreme pressure and still perform well. Still use it on the dozer, trackhoe, and backhoe.. but I dont think this tractor can put anywhere near the stress on the pins that heavy equipment can.. i may be wrong though. And yes, I used way too much to push out the multi-purpose that was added at the dealership. But that new lincoln pneumatic is just fun to use--held it down a little too long.

I do hate hearing the red n tacky is going to be messy too. I was hoping for much less mess... which, is so against my normal 'form over fashion' thinking. But this tractor is so orange...ha

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Google Lock n Lube, company out of NH. Friend of mine works for them.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have used the Amsoil 5% moly grease ( still got five tubes)...... messy as hell! Great grease but dayummmm the mess.

I too went back to red and tacky...... why? cause it is red......well ok - more importantly it is tacky!

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I switched from read and tacky to the Amsoil heavy duty with 5% moly and love it.

I find it stays where I put it, grease every 10 hours couple of pumps on each zerk and done.

Like it so much bought a case back in February, I'll stay with it.

Good luck in your choice.

Jay

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You are using WAY too much grease.
+1. one or 2 pumps is all that is required. the grease will distribute itself as the joints work. Hopefully, you don't have any CV drive lines. Over greasing a CV joint will cause it to fail.