BX2680 shuts down

jrreab

Equipment
BX2680
Jul 17, 2020
Colorado
My BX 2680 starts and Idles but when you push on the peddle it stalls. I have drained the tank. fresh fuel and replaced the filters, still the same problem. Don't know what to do.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
My BX 2680 starts and Idles but when you push on the peddle it stalls. I have drained the tank. fresh fuel and replaced the filters, still the same problem. Don't know what to do.

Stalls immediately like you shut the key off? Sounds like a safety switch issue.

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
There have been several instances of the screen that is at the top of the water separator being plugged. Did you do both filters? On uTube there is a video about the fuel pump going bad and how to check it.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you sense a 1 second delay before the engine stalls, then the Operator Presence Controller( OPC) is taking charge and having the OPC timer send power to the engine stop solenoid which stops the engine. The OPC timer is a one second device.

In your situation, you sense the stall as you push on the HST pedal.

I suspect the seat switch is making the OPC think you are not in the seat and the tractor is being moved.

If there is a tiny delay between pushing the pedal and the stall, then I think my diagnosis is correct.

Many owners, when they closely examine the seat switch wiring, find damage to either the wiring or switch.

The engine is stopped by applying power to the engine stop solenoid. If you disconnect its wire, then the various safety devices cannot stop the engine as I am suggesting might be happening

Dave

Last edited:

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
If you sense a 1 second delay before the engine stalls, then the Operator Presence Controller( OPC) is taking charge and having the OPC timer send power to the engine stop solenoid which stops the engine. The OPC timer is a one second device.

I suspect the seat switch is making the OPC think you are not in the seat and the tractor is being moved.

If there is a tiny delay between pushing the pedal and the stall, then I think my diagnosis is correct.

Many owners, when they closely examine the seat switch wiring, find damage to either the wiring or switch.

The engine is stopped by applying power to the engine stop solenoid. If you disconnect its wire, then the various safety devices cannot stop the engine as I am suggesting might be happening

Dave
I can move my 2380 while standing beside it, pushing the tredle with my hand. Been this way since new (2017).... Did KB change something?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
I can move my 2380 while standing beside it, pushing the tredle with my hand. Been this way since new (2017).... Did KB change something?
No your OPC is not operating properly. Possibly your OPC timer has failed which is why the designers wanted owners to be regularly checking for the proper functioning of the OPC system

It makes no sense for a machine which can kill you by running you over would be designed to move in the manner you described.

From the WSM and also likely in your owner's manual the procedure for checking the Operator Presence Controller (OPC).

Preparation before testing
1. Sit on the operator's seat.
2. Set the parking brake and stop the engine.
3. Shift the range gear shift lever to the neutral
position.
4. Check whether the speed control pedal is in the
neutral position.
5. Shift the PTO clutch lever to the off position.

[Test 1] Switches for the operator's seat and the
speed control pedal
1. Start the engine.
2. Depress the speed control pedal.
3. Stand up.
Do not get off the machine.
The engine must stop after approximately one
second.

[Test 2] Switches for the operator's seat and the
PTO clutch lever
1. Start the engine.
2. Engage the PTO clutch lever.
3. Stand up.
Do not get off the machine.
The engine must stop after approximately one
second.

Dave

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
Mine (1880) will also do this but only if you move EXTREMELY slow. Just barely press the pedal so it creeps along at slug speed. Press any harder it stops immediately

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Mine (1880) will also do this but only if you move EXTREMELY slow. Just barely press the pedal so it creeps along at slug speed. Press any harder it stops immediately
Again, something is not right with your tractor. Perhaps the HST pedal switch is improperly adjusted but whatever is wrong is unsafe.

Dave

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
I'll have to try this. I typically move it very slowly anyway, inching into my tight (fore & aft, not width..) parking spot.

I will also run the tests Dave posted, see what's up. I just thought it was supposed to be that way, since it's done it from day 1.

jrreab

Equipment
BX2680
Jul 17, 2020
Colorado
Thanks to all of you who have commented . It did turn out to be the safety switch in the seat. I did try the shut off valve first and was able to drive the tractor. The I by-passed the seat and that worked. I did purchase, both the seat switch and the opc just for good measure. Once again, Thats to all of you.

Jim

bryonh

Equipment
bx2680
Feb 16, 2021
kentucky
did you figure out your problem? I have the same issue on the same bx2680 model. I inadvertently shorted the seat relay down at the seat hinge which blew the 15 OPC fuse, the engine died, restarted it and fwd/rev worked, got done and the key wouldn't turn off the engine. so I replaced the 10a OPC, and had to pull the 15A ignition stop then the key worked...

bryonh

Equipment
bx2680
Feb 16, 2021
kentucky

Dave
Dave, this is exactly what is happening on my bx2680. there is a delay for engine stall when pressing the hst pedal, I suspected the OPC system as you mention here. question: when you say "
If you disconnect its wire, then the various safety devices cannot stop the engine as I am suggesting might be happening" what or where would you think this wire would be. my tractor is new as of last year so I would be surprised if there was a writing harness issue, but havent had time to look it over as it's been so cold and I have no garage to get it in at the moment. thanks for any helo

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Let me make my point a bit clearer.

If your tractor is shutting down in approx 1 second then the OPC system is working as it should.

The problem will be in a safety switch which is providing info to the OPC timer/relay which is shown in the following photo.
forum BX2680 opc.jpg

The most common safety switch to give problems is the seat switch.

Because the shut down happens when you push the HST pedal that tells me the HST switch is working properly.

I do not know your specific tractor so the following is a best guess.

Instead of touching the HST pedal, try engaging the pto to see if the shut down also occurs.

Check the seat switch wiring. On some models the switch wiring has become chaffed and even disconnected from the switch.

Now the OPC system thinks you have fallen off the tractor and shuts the engine down rather than letting it move or power a pto driven implement..

Check carefully for signs of mouse or other rodents building nests and damaging wiring,

forum BX2680 seat switch.jpg

I am always reluctant to give others instructions on defeating safety system as I would feel very responsible if you or a family member were injured or killed because a safety system was bypassed.

Dave

bryonh

Equipment
bx2680
Feb 16, 2021
kentucky
mine turned out to be the actual seat switch. I finally got out of the weather enough to test it properly. I did get the turn-over seat switch replaced and then removed the actual seat connector and jumped it and tested it and the engine dies about 1 sec after engaging HST if that harness isn't jumped. I'm not 100% sure both switches weren't bad. I will check the old turn-over switch and update you. if both were bad that would explain why I got turned around when trying to isolate which switch. but I will say it was like 10 degrees and mentally I wasn't exactly my best!!!

bryonh

Equipment
bx2680
Feb 16, 2021
kentucky
ok so mine is fixed. there are two "seat" switches and its confusing because in the parts description they both say seat switch. The One pictured in this thread by another user is actually the tip-over switch, it is actually in the hinge are of the seat driver's left hand if behind the tractor, the seat has to be raised all the way up and then its activated, dealer told me it also had something to do with the back hoe option. the other seat switch is embedded in the center of the seat. In my case once I got out of the crazy single digit weather was able to troubleshoot and discovered the switch in the seat was bad. part number for the this switch is K1122-62280. Believe it or not, if you short this to ground (not the best advice) it will blow the fuse and kill the engine, you then can restart the tractor and run all day. keep in mind you OPC is disabled and not advisable. you will not be able to turn the engine off until you replace the fuse blown and you will have to pull the ignition stop fuse 15A blue fuse next to the OPC 10A fuse
The seat switch, which is what I would call the real seat switch, (the other switch is related and is in line with this switch but I would call it a "seat position" switch, if this switch is activated you are already way off the tractor! The part number for the actual "inside" the seat switch that detects you ar sitting in the seat is 32771-47840. There is a harness connector under the seat that can be disconnected, you can bypass it with to female narrow terminal connectors and 16 ga wire without ruining it. this is what I did while I wait on the part to come in this week. probelme solved. there is another switch related to the OPC its on the opposite of the pedal. Basically they work in away that if you are pushing the HST pedal or running the PTO and the operator cannot be detected then this kicks the timer relay which sends power to the stop ignition circuit killing the engine.