Tisco Alternator Upgrade?

nocash247

Equipment
B7200
Jul 13, 2020
RI
I'm the new owner of a B7200. I think I've got a bad generator. As I test it, if it needs replacement, is it a good idea to just upgrade to the Tisco alternator? Especially if I plan on adding lights etc. I know it was an option, so does it bolt right in place of the generator or does it need a different bracket?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I'm the new owner of a B7200. I think I've got a bad generator. As I test it, if it needs replacement, is it a good idea to just upgrade to the Tisco alternator? Especially if I plan on adding lights etc. I know it was an option, so does it bolt right in place of the generator or does it need a different bracket?
It would help if you were more specific about your model of B7200. HST, manual gears, 2WD or 4WD it sometimes makes a difference

You don't have a generator but a dynamo.

Dynamo's rarely fail.

If you have a multi meter checking the dynamo is easy.

The key is to realize the dynamo is putting out Alternating Current and set your multi meter accordingly.

Disconnect the two dynamo output leads and with the engine running at speeds up to max, check the AC voltage between the two dynamo output leads. It should be greater than 20 volts AC.

The rectifier is usually what fails.

Installing a real alternator involves some wiring skills and likely some fabricating skills depending upon the age of the machine.

Likely easiest to install a one wire DENSO style alternator if you really need a big bump in output.

DENSO one wire

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
+1. Dynamo's rarely fail but the realized output is much less than an alternator. All depends on your fabrication skills and your end need for current.

nocash247

Equipment
B7200
Jul 13, 2020
RI
It would help if you were more specific about your model of B7200. HST, manual gears, 2WD or 4WD it sometimes makes a difference

You don't have a generator but a dynamo.

Dynamo's rarely fail.

If you have a multi meter checking the dynamo is easy.

The key is to realize the dynamo is putting out Alternating Current and set your multi meter accordingly.

Disconnect the two dynamo output leads and with the engine running at speeds up to max, check the AC voltage between the two dynamo output leads. It should be greater than 20 volts AC.

The rectifier is usually what fails.

Installing a real alternator involves some wiring skills and likely some fabricating skills depending upon the age of the machine.

Likely easiest to install a one wire DENSO style alternator if you really need a big bump in output.

DENSO one wire

Dave
I have a B7200D, 4x4 manual shift. Wiring is not an issue but more the necessity of fabricating a bracket if need be.

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I have the same machine and I upgraded to an 60A alternator. I had Messicks search the country for NOS parts. I probably have $700.00 into it. You know how salty Kubot parts are! If you are good with fabricating, go for it. BTW, I used an alternator with internal regulator, so I ditched the external kubota regulator. Works great and has no issues keeping the battery's charged between winching.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not all Kubota parts are salty but most are. Not nearly as salty as JD parts are...

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
If going the Kubota route, it might be best to start with a wholegoods alternator kit for one of the newer B tractors and modify from there.

Why? The individual parts when purchased through the parts counter will be expensive as suggested above. The wholegoods kit will be around $200. They usually contain the alternator, brackets, wiring, etc. to make it a bolt on application.

I'm not suggesting the kit will work as is. Just that it might provide a cost effective starting point to modify from.

Example for B2301/B2601 (May fit others):
Description: HIGH CAPACITY ALTERNATOR KIT
Order Code: B7311
Factory Number: K149B76
Suggest List Price: $192.00

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I replaced my failed Kubota alternator with a Chinese copy for $18. Works great now for 2 years so far. Cannot tell the difference.... they can copy very good.