50 Hour Service

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
I know this question must have been asked a 1000 time before but....Which is the correct recommendation for servicing the transmission....Change the filter & clean the screen.....but what about the fluid ??? - Thanks

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
The normal transmission fluid replacement is 400 hours, the filter should be replaced at 50, 200, 400 etc hours. When you replace the filter you will need to top of the transmission fluid.

Reactions: 1 user

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Different strokes for different folks. I replaced it all at 50 hours. Glad I did. While the hydraulic fluid looked great, the strainer screen was covered in bits of sealant.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Pre BX23S models called for trans fluid change at 50 hours. The manual for the BX23S only calls for a filter change at 50 hours. I changed my fluid anyway since theres only a couple gallons in there. Cheap insurance! I notice your screen name.....must be a lever gun guy?

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Still looking for feedback.....One thing for sure, the screen needs to be pulled & that will tell a lot of what's going on inside.....also not really understanding changing the filter without the fluid....Does anyone change the oil filter on their car & not the oil ???......SN... 2003 Mercury Marauder........

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There is a difference in changing oil in a transmission and oil in an engine. 03marauderm, you ask, "Does anyone change the oil filter on their car & not the oil ???" There are combustion gases from the engine getting in the oil, and need to be filtered out. There are no contaminants in a transmission to need filtered out. The 50 hr. service and then later services are primarily to remove any manufactoring crud left in any castings or chips of any kind.

I've had a Grasshopper mower that has 1000 hour service interval on HST fluid. I asked the man who helped improve the various designs the co. uses why the 1000 hrs. His answer was, it really never needs to be changed, but people don't like that answer so we said 1000 hours.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
“Which is the correct recommendation for servicing the transmission....
I believe your secice manual says to change the filters only....

also not really understanding changing the filter without the fluid....Does anyone change the oil filter on their car & not the oil ???.....
Again, Your service manual says filters only. Never heard of a vehicle manufacturer recommending changing the oil so soon or just filters only but the fine folks at Kubota do. Plus, we are talking about transmission fluid verse engine oil, big difference.

I only changed the filters and topped off with the correct fluid at 50hours, per the manual. Just did the 500 hours service a couple weeks ago replacing fluid and filters.
While not an accurate test the fluid I removed looked almost identical to the new fluid. I wish I would have sent the fluid to lblackstone labs for analysts but I didn’t. At 50hrs there were small metal shaving on one of my filters, the one with the magnet, pretty common accurance. At the 500 hr service there was little to nothing on the magnets.

Personally, I chose to follow what the manual says to do and have zero issue with doing so. Thing is, it’s your tractor and if changing the fluid will make you feel better and your dont mind spending the money, go for it.

Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: 1 users

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
D2cat... 'There are no contaminants in a transmission to need filtered out.'.......I fully agree about combustion gasses, but question the statement on contaminants....The small metal particles that accumulate on the screen is a good indication whether the fluid has to be changed or not, despite what the manual/Kubota recommends....At the end of the day there really isn't a right or wrong answer, and was just fishing for what others thought....I'll let the findings of the screen determine if I should change the fluid....... I welcome any other opinions......Thanks to all......

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Still looking for feedback.....One thing for sure, the screen needs to be pulled & that will tell a lot of what's going on inside.....also not really understanding changing the filter without the fluid....Does anyone change the oil filter on their car & not the oil ???......SN... 2003 Mercury Marauder........
Like you, I struggle to understand Kubota's rationale regarding initial transmission oil and filter changes.

The Operator's Manual for my B3350 specifies that both the HST filter and the hydraulic filter be changed at 50 hours but not the oil. I changed both filters and the oil. The Operator's manual for my L6060 specifies that the HST filter be changed at 50 yours but neither the hydraulic filter nor the oil. ??? Neither the oil nor the hydraulic filter is scheduled to be changed until 400 hours. I followed the recommendation at 50 hours but changed both filters and the oil at 200 hours.

Even more perplexing is that the Operator's Manual for my M9960 specifies that both hydraulic filters and the oil be changed at 50 hours. Mind you, this is synchronized gear type transmission with hydraulic shuttle. ??? Two large hydraulic filters and 16 gallons of SUDT2 is a significant expense.

I've given up trying to figure out the rationale.

FWIW, I found RTV in the filter inlets of two filters upon initial change. I was unaware that Kubota Manufacturing uses RTV anywhere upon initial assembly.

SDT

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've bought 3 new tractors and all 3 said to change hyd fluid at 50hrs. I don't care what the new manuals say after seeing the amount of metal filings that came out I will always change fluid at 50. To me that's the most important one of the tractors life.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
The newer tractors come with UDT2 in the trans. Fully synthetic and will last 400 hrs with no problems. If yer changing it at 50 hrs it’s like throwing away brand new oil. I get what everyone is saying about the shavings etc in the oil, but that’s what the filter is for.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
The newer tractors come with UDT2 in the trans. Fully synthetic and will last 400 hrs with no problems. If yer changing it at 50 hrs it’s like throwing away brand new oil. I get what everyone is saying about the shavings etc in the oil, but that’s what the filter is for.
I've gotten differing answers regarding SUDT2 in new Kubota tractors. Some say yes and others say no. Have been unable to get a definitive answer.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, the most conclusive way to determine the 'life' of the transmission fluid is do a spectroscopic analysis of it, IOW send a sample to a lab like Blackstone and get the results.

I agree with Bulldog, the most important fluid change is at 50 hours because of residual manufacturing debris in the case itself. After that, lubricant changes become less critical and I use the analysis to determine if mine are still viable or not. The exception to that would be if somehow water got mixed in the case lubricant which can be seen. Water turns the hydraulic fluid a milky white. If that occurs, a change of fluid is necessary and a determination as to how the fluid got compromised as well.

Far as SDT's comment about the sealant in the filter inlets, I'm wondering if it's residual 3-Bond. Kubota uses 3-Bond in lieu of many gaskets when assembling the tractors and I believe it's an anaerobic sealant similar to RTV. I always have a tube or 2 in the shop. Very handy stuff to have around for gasketing chores not just on Kubota's.

I never have an issue with water in the gearcase anyway because mine are kept inside when not being used and rarely get run in the rain.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
You're going to lose all your fluid when you pull the suction strainer anyway... the strainer must be cleaned after the first 50 hours.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
As a side bar...I worked part time at a small engine repair shop, & one day a 'B' series Kubota came in to have a new mower deck replaced & service. This tractor belonged to some kind of a non profit organization & did not have an actual owner, yes as you can imagine it was run hard....Anyhow at the top of the transmission case there was a hole size of a 1/2 dollar...lots of grass, crud & everything else around it.....well turns out the hole was the fill for the transmission with the cap off for years...I put a rag in the hole & power washed the tractor for the service....I drained the transmission in 2 different area's if I remember, & the fluid was dark & dirty, along with water in it.... Changed the filter, put 3 gallons of fluid replaced the cap & off she went.....When it came in for service there was no mention of anything regarding the hydraulics or transmission. Drove tested it after the service & all was well.....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I believe the question at-hand is WHY Kubota would change filters at 50 hrs but no longer require fluid as-well.... as they did with previous models.

I think the reason is: With the use of Super UDT which is a longer-lived fluid due to it’s synthetic make-up there is no reason to change the fluid so early in the tractor’s life. But the manufacturing process introduces the possibility of gasket-material, machine-filings, and other debris which may have circulated in the early-life of the tractor which the FILTERS will catch. Changing those filters removes the possibility they might be overloaded and gives the tractor good filtration until the next scheduled change.

IMO

Reactions: 1 users

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
I know this question must have been asked a 1000 time before but....Which is the correct recommendation for servicing the transmission....Change the filter & clean the screen.....but what about the fluid ??? - Thanks
My owners manual states to change the fluid at 50 hours, BX2680.

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The only difference in changing sudt2 at 50 hrs and changing the older sudt or udt is the sudt2 cost more. It still has the same metal filings in the case just like it always did. I just can't make myself run it for 400 hrs. Any way you look at it oil is cheaper than repair.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
I'm seeing the general consensus is to change the oil....I get that the filter & screen picks up the shavings but I would think there still would be fragments...We're talking 50 hr. service, this relates to rather brand new tractors...With a $20k & up investment, where is the logic in saving $100 & some bucks on oil....What is really puzzling is the flip flop from Kubota on their recommendations..In some cases the recommend changing the oil @ 50 hrs, & others, changing just the filter??? There is also a price on 'piece of mind'....