L3800 PTO Don't Shut Off

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
Last week while using my L3800, I pushed in the clutch and went to turn the PTO off, but when I let the clutch out, it stayed on. I moved the lever back and forth and it went off. Then it got to where it wouldnt shut off at all, but would just all of a sudden go off later on. Same thing happened today....it just wouldnt go off......then without warning, it turned itself off while doing something else. PTO lever was in the off position each time it turns off. Could this be an electric switch? Or something else. I will br bringing this up to my salesman Monday. I forgot or I would have today as I was by the dealer doing some landscaping work for them.

Thanks

Rob

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Last week while using my L3800, I pushed in the clutch and went to turn the PTO off, but when I let the clutch out, it stayed on. I moved the lever back and forth and it went off. Then it got to where it wouldnt shut off at all, but would just all of a sudden go off later on. Same thing happened today....it just wouldnt go off......then without warning, it turned itself off while doing something else. PTO lever was in the off position each time it turns off. Could this be an electric switch? Or something else. I will br bringing this up to my salesman Monday. I forgot or I would have today as I was by the dealer doing some landscaping work for them.

Thanks

Rob
Sounds like a linkage problem? But that is a guess, and would see the dealer ASAP......not something you want coming on at the wrong time:eek:.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Sounds like linkage to me too. Follow the hand lever until it goes into the transmission case, and look for anything loose or bent.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Follow the cable from the PTO lever forward to the shaft. There is a spring wound around the shaft next to the housing that is not twisting the shaft back. They get moisture and or dirt between the shaft and casing. Spray a good penetrate on the shaft and housing to keep it from binding.
Works almost every time.
Don't waste your time taking a service problem to the sales department, kind of like trying to teach a pig to sing....wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Reactions: 1 user

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
Follow the cable from the PTO lever forward to the shaft. There is a spring wound around the shaft next to the housing that is not twisting the shaft back. They get moisture and or dirt between the shaft and casing. Spray a good penetrate on the shaft and housing to keep it from binding.
Works almost every time.
Don't waste your time taking a service problem to the sales department, kind of like trying to teach a pig to sing....wastes your time and annoys the pig.

At first I could not find a place to spray that looked like it would help. Everything looks tight like nothing would seep in anyhow. I have a can of spray lube and sprayed it all over where that spring and end of the shaft is. Gotta watch out when your laying under the tractor for what you spray to drip back down. At least I know enough not to jerk my head in an area where there isnt much room. Anyhow, I started the tractor up and the PTO switch seems to work now. Thanks alot, the help is appreciated.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I guess it's a HST model with pto cable? My L3800 gear drive has the pto leaver right at the trans (no cable) and it's either engaged or not.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
I guess it's a HST model with pto cable? My L3800 gear drive has the pto leaver right at the trans (no cable) and it's either engaged or not.

That must be. On my L3200 HST, the PTO engagement is on the right hand fender.

Holcombshaven

Equipment
L3800, ZG127
Jul 1, 2014
Groveport, Ohio, USA
Works almost every time.
Is there a heavier duty cable available for the PTO. I replaced the cable on my L3800 that was kinked at the upper boot near the lever. Seems to me the new cable will do this again eventually.

kellysails

Equipment
Kubota L3800
Oct 3, 2016
Kingston WA
I know this thread is very old but I just spent 2 hours dealing with the same issue yesterday. Solved it!

L3800 HST

As previous poster noted, it is indeed the issue that gunk piles up on the return spring. The easiest way to get to the return spring is to remove the sheet metal over the drive train, the horizontal piece. Only 5 easy to get to bolts. You will then have clear view of the spring. I sprayed in half a can of WD40 to clean it out. Worked like a champ. I also sprayed the spring by lifting up the seat and also spray from below. Clearly the best angle is from inside the cab once you remove the sheet metal.

I sprayed the spring then pushed in the clutch (motor off) and moved the engagement handle back an forth about 25 times. I really worked. Also to note, if the tension on the cable is too tight it seems to engage the ignition interlock every time you move the lever to engage, wtf? I really hate this setup.

This cable lash up is really ridiculous. The number of 4 letter words coming out had to be muted 'cause the grandkids were hovering, I was pissed though.

24tex24

Equipment
L3800HST
Aug 3, 2021
SW Wisconsin
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say this is the beauty of historical threads. I just encountered the same issue on my L3800 and was able to search the forums, find the issue and potential solution and voila! it's fixed. My PTO retraction spring (my name for it) had seized up. Little penetrating oil and some lubrication was all it took. Saved me some coin from having to take it for service.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say this is the beauty of historical threads. I just encountered the same issue on my L3800 and was able to search the forums, find the issue and potential solution and voila! it's fixed. My PTO retraction spring (my name for it) had seized up. Little penetrating oil and some lubrication was all it took. Saved me some coin from having to take it for service.
Be certain to thank Whitetiger. We all benefit from his expert knowledge.
Dave

Reactions: 2 users