L3301 3-Point lifts better when raising loader arms

Winkles_9

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Jun 24, 2021
Annandale MN
I rented a Land Pride OS1572 yesterday, and my L3301 was struggling to lift it. I know the seeder weighs right around 1600 pounds, which is close to the capacity of 1900 pounds. Every Kubota promotional picture shows the seeder with an L series, and the dealership told me I shouldn't have a problem with it. What I found out was if I raised the lever all the way up, the seeder would travel about half way and stop. The hydraulics sounded like they were trying, but it wouldn't go.
I then bumped my loader valve to raise the loader arms and the three point then proceeded to raise the seeder to full height immediately. I used this technique the rest of the day to get the seeder fully off the ground.

Do I have a problem with my hydraulics somewhere? It almost seems like I have a leaking valve, but the tractor only has 90 hours on it. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I rented a Land Pride OS1572 yesterday, and my L3301 was struggling to lift it. I know the seeder weighs right around 1600 pounds, which is close to the capacity of 1900 pounds. Every Kubota promotional picture shows the seeder with an L series, and the dealership told me I shouldn't have a problem with it. What I found out was if I raised the lever all the way up, the seeder would travel about half way and stop. The hydraulics sounded like they were trying, but it wouldn't go.
I then bumped my loader valve to raise the loader arms and the three point then proceeded to raise the seeder to full height immediately. I used this technique the rest of the day to get the seeder fully off the ground.

Do I have a problem with my hydraulics somewhere? It almost seems like I have a leaking valve, but the tractor only has 90 hours on it. Does anyone have any ideas on where to start?
Very interesting and no you do not have a problem.

The loader puts the boom cylinders in series with the three point. I think what you are seeing is an example of a phenomenon called pressure intensification that occurs when cylinders are in series. The base/rod end piston area ratio on the loader cylinders is boosting the inlet pressure at the 3pt cylinder giving you more lifting force.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm wondering if the pressure relief setting on the tractor or the loader could be off?

I would be doing a hydraulic pressure test if it was mine.

But I can also make that happen on my L with everything set properly.

Winkles_9

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Jun 24, 2021
Annandale MN
Very interesting and no you do not have a problem.

The loader puts the boom cylinders in series with the three point. I think what you are seeing is an example of a phenomenon called pressure intensification that occurs when cylinders are in series. The base/rod end piston area ratio on the loader cylinders is boosting the inlet pressure at the 3pt cylinder giving you more lifting force.

Dan
Is there any way to increase it or shut off the flow to the loader and direct it all to the three point? I assume the loader valve would just bypass the flow if I unhooked the loader completely?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Is there any way to increase it or shut off the flow to the loader and direct it all to the three point? I assume the loader valve would just bypass the flow if I unhooked the loader completely?
The loader is what makes it work. Without it hooked up there is no pressure boost.

Dan

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You are talking about 300 lbs from the max. They are rated at the pins. My guess is your tractor is performing as expected. Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level?

If you have a QH on, take it off. Also, you might try a different setting for the top link. There are also settings for the lower links to increase the leverage.

Winkles_9

Equipment
Kubota L3301
Jun 24, 2021
Annandale MN
You are talking about 300 lbs from the max. They are rated at the pins. My guess is your tractor is performing as expected. Have you checked the hydraulic fluid level?

If you have a QH on, take it off. Also, you might try a different setting for the top link. There are also settings for the lower links to increase the leverage.
My hydraulic fluid is good. I usually run a quick hitch but I did remove it for this to try and get the implement closer to the rear of the tractor. My top link was in the top hole, and I have a hydraulic top link as well. How do I change the settings for the lower links?