Post Hole Digger......On a Backhoe

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Hey guys,
Here is one I wanted to share. This was one of those ideas that seemed like it might work and save me some money. I needed a post hole digger for a project. I was considering the 3 point, but just didn't want to pay that much. It's not like most of us use this attachment very much, but boy are they handy when you need them. I stumbled across a free 1 man gas unit. No way I would operate one of these by hand, but attached to a tractor, sure. So, I was on a mission. I came up with the idea that if it was on my backhoe, I could maybe get 2 holes without repositioning the tractor. Ok, the quick attach receiver I made is probably the best way to attach the digger. Because of the arc motion while moving up and down, the digger needs to be able to float forward and backward. I will probably want the throttle to be controllable from the seat. All of this needs to be removable quickly and easily, because I am old and lazy. Here is what I came up with.
digger1.jpg
digger2.jpg
digger4.jpg
digger5.jpg
digger6.jpg

The throttle cable is attached to the backhoe control cabinet via X track and an E track clip.
The cable is routed down the backhoe structure using magnets.
There is a bracket assembly that clips the original handles of the digger via pins. The only modification I had to make to the digger was the throttle trigger. I moved the trigger a little and drilled a hole in the trigger so that the new cable could be attached to it. The cable is for a heavy equipment brake lock or similar control. It's a solid cable, so push pull for throttle control, no need for a spring return to idle down and the handle locks in position so controlling speed is easy. It has worked out great! I haven't even painted the thing, just used when needed. There is a hole in the 2inch bar so the unit can be pinned in position and not slide back and forth. Since I have a receiver that slides on my forks, I can use it on the front of the tractor as well.
And oh yeah, if there is a need to drill in a bank or wall, we can do that too!
digger3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That's ingenious! I'd imagine the throttle linkage and finding the needed components was the most challenging. Thanks for sharing.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
That a slick idea. I imagine it would not be hard to adapt that ingenious idea to perhaps forks on the front of the tractor to work for those folks without a backhoe. Now to find a cheap/free power head....

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
That's ingenious! I'd imagine the throttle linkage and finding the needed components was the most challenging. Thanks for sharing.
Well, they weren't that hard to find. The throttle cable came from Amazon. The only challenge to it was finding one long enough. Just had to scroll through a couple of pages. Everything else was either scrap metal or parts from Tractor Supply.

Thanks! Hope it helps someone.

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
That a slick idea. I imagine it would not be hard to adapt that ingenious idea to perhaps forks on the front of the tractor to work for those folks without a backhoe. Now to find a cheap/free power head....
Thanks, and absolutely you can use it on the front. I have a receiver on the front, also, that attaches to my forks. The magnets can attach to the FEL arms and put the throttle right at your seat.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey guys,
Here is one I wanted to share. This was one of those ideas that seemed like it might work and save me some money. I needed a post hole digger for a project. I was considering the 3 point, but just didn't want to pay that much. It's not like most of us use this attachment very much, but boy are they handy when you need them. I stumbled across a free 1 man gas unit. No way I would operate one of these by hand, but attached to a tractor, sure. So, I was on a mission. I came up with the idea that if it was on my backhoe, I could maybe get 2 holes without repositioning the tractor. Ok, the quick attach receiver I made is probably the best way to attach the digger. Because of the arc motion while moving up and down, the digger needs to be able to float forward and backward. I will probably want the throttle to be controllable from the seat. All of this needs to be removable quickly and easily, because I am old and lazy. Here is what I came up with. View attachment 102711 View attachment 102712 View attachment 102713 View attachment 102714 View attachment 102715

The throttle cable is attached to the backhoe control cabinet via X track and an E track clip.
The cable is routed down the backhoe structure using magnets.
There is a bracket assembly that clips the original handles of the digger via pins. The only modification I had to make to the digger was the throttle trigger. I moved the trigger a little and drilled a hole in the trigger so that the new cable could be attached to it. The cable is for a heavy equipment brake lock or similar control. It's a solid cable, so push pull for throttle control, no need for a spring return to idle down and the handle locks in position so controlling speed is easy. It has worked out great! I haven't even painted the thing, just used when needed. There is a hole in the 2inch bar so the unit can be pinned in position and not slide back and forth. Since I have a receiver that slides on my forks, I can use it on the front of the tractor as well.
And oh yeah, if there is a need to drill in a bank or wall, we can do that too!
View attachment 102716
VERY IMPRESSIVE !

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Neat idea.

My only concern would be that the backhoe is not designed to withstand twisting forces at the bucket. But hopefully, since that PHD is designed to be manually held, such forces will not be excessive.

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Neat idea.

My only concern would be that the backhoe is not designed to withstand twisting forces at the bucket. But hopefully, since that PHD is designed to be manually held, such forces will not be excessive.
Thanks.
I'm sure the twisting forces from this digger are nowhere near the forces exerted by my root ripper or trenching bucket when trying to get a stump out that is way too big for this tractor to handle! I tend to snatch back and forth sideways with the hoe when doing this. I can guarantee that the handles of the digger will bend/break well before any damage to the hoe. If anything goes "snap", break out the grinder and welder!

Reactions: 1 users

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I tend to snatch back and forth sideways with the hoe when doing this.
Yeah, but in that case, the centre of rotation is primarily the other end -- against the boom rotation cylinder(s) and around the pin.

I can guarantee that the handles of the digger will bend/break well before any damage to the hoe. If anything goes "snap", break out the grinder and welder!
I'm sure the handles are much lighter material than the bucket mechanism -- but also spaced further apart and operating primarily in compression/tension.

I'm not saying you are not right, or that this won't work. But I would still approach with caution and be ready to release that throttle instantly if anything starts to go south.

Good luck! I really like the concept. If it works out, I may start keeping an eye out for a good deal on a small manual PHD myself. ;-)

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Yeah, but in that case, the centre of rotation is primarily the other end -- against the boom rotation cylinder(s) and around the pin.

I'm sure the handles are much lighter material than the bucket mechanism -- but also spaced further apart and operating primarily in compression/tension.

I'm not saying you are not right, or that this won't work. But I would still approach with caution and be ready to release that throttle instantly if anything starts to go south.

Good luck! I really like the concept. If it works out, I may start keeping an eye out for a good deal on a small manual PHD myself. ;-)
I don't disagree with your points, and I appreciate the word of caution. I've been using this for around 6 months, when the need comes up. Maybe dug around 50 holes with it of various sizes. If it goes too far south, I've got insurance and good shoes that I can run fast in! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Just for everyone's knowledge about me, I'm rather unconventional when it comes to safety compared to costs! As an example, here is my homemade scissor lift using scrap metal and an old Harbor Freight trailer. But hey, I did add safety rails and a somewhat sketchy emergency brake for "uh oh" descent. It's driveable too!

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Yes, the above picture shows modified car jackstands. That's the emergency brake!

Got to love the handlebars!

IMG_0545.jpg

I needed to erect this building with just me and my dad. He's way too old to be on a ladder, so I made him ride this sketchy thing. It worked great and we put up a 40x90 building in 9 working days.

building.jpg

lift2.jpg

I"M NOT RECOMMENDING ANYONE ELSE DO THIS!! We are not professionals.

Last edited:

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I've been using this for around 6 months, when the need comes up. Maybe dug around 50 holes with it of various sizes.
Ah, I did not realize you had already put it through the paces. I had the impression this was a just-completed project. My bad.

Carry on.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Actually, since you've given it a workout: Is that one of those 43cc chinese augers? What kind of soil do you have around there?

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Actually, since you've given it a workout: Is that one of those 43cc chinese augers? What kind of soil do you have around there?
Yes, I think it is 43cc, from Harbor Freight. Depends on the location for soil. We have mainly clay in the area, unless you get near the hills. I think it rains rocks around there, so you can find your way into lots of rocks. The trick with these type diggers, since they don't have reverse, is to raise it frequently from the hole. I've not had any problems, so far.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Pure genius my man!

Also very inspiring. I love homemade solutions and that auger idea is awesome!

I love those Ape Hanger handle bars too!

Danger and style...nice combination.... (y) 🍺

Reactions: 1 user

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Pure genius my man!

Also very inspiring. I love homemade solutions and that auger idea is awesome!

I love those Ape Hanger handle bars too!

Danger and style...nice combination.... (y) 🍺
Thanks! Hope it helps out.

I thought my dad was going to wet himself when he saw my creation of the scissor lift with those handlebars. We are both motorcycle guys, so after he finished laughing at me he started to look it over and then couldn't wait to try it out. He ended up very happy to have it as we started erecting the building.