Looking for buying and selling advice - 12+ Acre Lot

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
My biggest regret is not getting a more powerful tractor. I got a ~35hp and thought that would be fine as I had already jumped up from the around 20hp that I intended to buy initially, but really I should have gone with something near the 50s. Just my two cents.
I went from 25 HP to 44 HP (19 PTO to 35 PTO) with the same tractor!
IMG_7991.jpg

It just needed some motivation! ;)

Mike

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
My biggest regret is not getting a more powerful tractor. I got a ~35hp and thought that would be fine as I had already jumped up from the around 20hp that I intended to buy initially, but really I should have gone with something near the 50s. Just my two cents.
I hear you, but there's no way I could fit a larger tractor in some of the spots on the property. I've got apple trees to work around in lots of spots.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Not to be a wise guy or anything, I certainly don’t know your property or constraints with terrain and your orchard, but are the trees limiting machine size dwarf sized trees? Or larger trees? Meaning could trees be thinned?

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
Not to be a wise guy or anything, I certainly don’t know your property or constraints with terrain and your orchard, but are the trees limiting machine size dwarf sized trees? Or larger trees? Meaning could trees be thinned?

Yeah, they will be definitely be thinned more starting next year, which will give me more room, but I still don't want a huge machine (or a huge payment, haha).

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I live on and maintain just under 19 acres here. three are tillable, close to 5 acres are mowed and the rest are wooded. I also own and maintain a 2.5 acre building site about 6 miles away (mostly lawn now). And have a 50+ acre wood lot with lake frontage to maintain that's a two hour drive from the homestead.

All of it's been maintained originally with a 20HP JD 750 and the last few years with the new Kubota B2650. Everyone's situation and uses are different. But in the last 30+ years, I could count on one hand the number of times I wished I had a larger HP tractor. The other 11000+ days have had all the work needed done without troubles and most all of them with a smile on my face!!

Both tractors are ROPS models due to working in the woods and also for keeping the center of gravity lower while mowing ditches. Winters here can be long and sometimes brutally cold. It doesn't take much to fab up a removeable cab complete with heat for those winter snowblowing chores. It's the best of both worlds.

Our two sons have told me that I've replaced them with attachments for the tractor! :ROFLMAO:
I tell them I'd be happy to sell the attachments if they want to move back home and start helping again. No takers yet!!

Reactions: 1 users

sscogin87

Equipment
B7510
May 9, 2023
Maine
I live on and maintain just under 19 acres here. three are tillable, close to 5 acres are mowed and the rest are wooded. I also own and maintain a 2.5 acre building site about 6 miles away (mostly lawn now). And have a 50+ acre wood lot with lake frontage to maintain that's a two hour drive from the homestead.

All of it's been maintained originally with a 20HP JD 750 and the last few years with the new Kubota B2650. Everyone's situation and uses are different. But in the last 30+ years, I could count on one hand the number of times I wished I had a larger HP tractor. The other 11000+ days have had all the work needed done without troubles and most all of them with a smile on my face!!

Both tractors are ROPS models due to working in the woods and also for keeping the center of gravity lower while mowing ditches. Winters here can be long and sometimes brutally cold. It doesn't take much to fab up a removeable cab complete with heat for those winter snowblowing chores. It's the best of both worlds.

Our two sons have told me that I've replaced them with attachments for the tractor! :ROFLMAO:
I tell them I'd be happy to sell the attachments if they want to move back home and start helping again. No takers yet!!

This is great to hear - the past few days I've begun seriously considering something in the B series (BX is going to be too small). Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Did you make your own cab for the winter?

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
This is great to hear - the past few days I've begun seriously considering something in the B series (BX is going to be too small). Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Did you make your own cab for the winter?
Here's my B2650 Cab Fabrication. When the boys were still living at home, we'd lift the cab parts on/off by hand. Now that they're gone....I mounted a hand winch (think boat trailer) to the wall and can install/remove the pieces easily by myself. The cab heater is plumbed in place of the water pump bypass hose and will have you sweating in short sleeves on the coldest days if you want. The long horizontal mirror just in front and above you when seated gives you a full rear view of the blower behind which makes using the 3 point snowblower a breeze. And it keeps the loader with a blade on it for easy touch up work where needed.

I have a heavy duty flail with the hammer blades. It does a fantastic job of cleaning up brushy areas....and will also chop up some pretty stout saplings as well. If you dare to and are able to drive over the saplings with your tractor.....this flail will chop them up. The older John Deere brush hogs haven't been moved since the flail mower showed up!!

I also mow with a 3 point rear discharge finish mower (5 ft). It does a fine job and you soon develop a pattern for mowing around any trees, obstacles, etc. You can also back under overhanging trees, shrubs, clotheslines, fences, etc. Each mower type has its advantages and disadvantages!! I had a belly mower on the JD750 and although the cut was nice......it was a pain more than a gain. The rear finish mower is so handy and easy to change out.

If I had known more about or had seen one on the dealer's lot......I may have chosen the L2501....maybe. The heavier weight might have discouraged me though.....because of mowing. And I've never been displeased in the least with the B2650. It does not have fluid in the tires and have never really run out of traction for what I've done whether rototilling, pulling a 5-6 ft cultivator, 4 row corn planter, sub soiler, etc. I've just never needed (or wanted) a bigger tractor for my situations.

Other than mowing road ditches, my land is pretty flat.....so I can't say how operating on hilly ground would be with the B2650 or the new LX models. The new LX models are sure a nice tractor!! As is the 2501.

There's also some good "threads" on OTT regarding flail mowers and there uses. The same for home made winter "cabs". If you have any questions.....just ask!! :)

David

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
If you have the money, I would look on Facebook. Literally hundreds of L series - 2501, 3901, etc. With some having 50 hrs or less. Usually they don't look maintained, since they still have the painted Kubota filters. Not a huge issue under 50 hours. I had to finance, but my next one will be a cash low hour machine...

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You are certainly not the first person to have this experience.
The old adage is : "buy enough tractor"......
Tractor dealers just love people who continually want/need to upgrade.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you have the money, I would look on Facebook. Literally hundreds of L series - 2501, 3901, etc. With some having 50 hrs or less. Usually they don't look maintained, since they still have the painted Kubota filters. Not a huge issue under 50 hours. I had to finance, but my next one will be a cash low hour machine...
As the 2023 year progresses, and on into 2024, it would seem that used tractor buys will become quite attractive.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
I have a 2501DT on a similar sized place and it is perfect. Sure there are times I wish I had something bigger but as many times I wish I had something smaller. Just depends on the particular job I am doing. The 2501DT does everything I need it to do very well. The times I wish I had something bigger is if I am lifting something very heavy.