Lesson: How to spoil a grandson 101.....BH77 practice at Grandpa's

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Here's a pic and video of my grandson stacking blocks on top of a bucket using the backhoe this weekend.

My SIL jokingly says I'm "ruining him", because now he doesn't want to play with his toys tractors; When they pass the local Kubota dealer on the way to school, he points to the tractors and says he wants one of those for Christmas. Hahahahah

Paul

IMG-20230508-WA0003[1].jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Here's a pic and video of my grandson stacking blocks on top of a bucket using the backhoe this weekend.

My SIL says I'm "ruining him", because now he doesn't want to play with his toys tractors; When they pass the local Kubota dealer on the way to school, he points to the tractors and says he wants one of those for Christmas. Hahahahah

View attachment 102068
Damn........he is GOOD!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

My SIL says I'm "ruining him", because now he doesn't want to play with his toys tractors; When they pass the local Kubota dealer on the way to school, he points to the tractors and says he wants one of those for Christmas. Hahahahah
I've done similar with my grandson.

A couple of months ago, we took him with us down to the city. I never realized what a rural life he has led until he started listing off the "firsts" -- first time in a hotel, first time in an elevator, first time on an escalator, first time swimming in a pool, etc.

But then I thought: how many city kids have been piloting a boat since they were 3? How many can drive a tractor or a four-wheeler? How many can operate a backhoe or a forklift?

All in all, I think he's had the better of the deal.

Reactions: 7 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
when he can remove 4 caps off 4 beer bottles, fly him to Vegas for the construction show !! probably win the big prize !!!

Reactions: 2 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Damn........he is GOOD!
Thanks!

Not too bad for just turning 5

He's got about 5 or 6 hours on it now. He did a some small stump removals with the ripper tooth before this.

Paul

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I've done similar with my grandson.

A couple of months ago, we took him with us down to the city. I never realized what a rural life he has led until he started listing off the "firsts" -- first time in a hotel, first time in an elevator, first time on an escalator, first time swimming in a pool, etc.

But then I thought: how many city kids have been piloting a boat since they were 3? How many can drive a tractor or a four-wheeler? How many can operate a backhoe or a forklift?

All in all, I think he's had the better of the deal.
It's different worlds, that's for sure.

He looks like he's having a blast!!!! (y)

Good on you sir!

Paul

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks!

Not too bad for just turning 5

He's got about 5 or 6 hours on it now. He did a some small stump removals with the ripper tooth before this.

Paul
I sure wish my daddy had bought me a BH to play with when I was five (77 years ago)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My father calls a shovel a single-handled backhoe.

About 4-5, I started to learn a SHBH cleaning gutters in 160 feet of cow barn.

What did they need a barn cleaner for...had 2 boys.... :rolleyes:

Same applied to silo unloaders. Cold, slick rungs climbing up added a different twist.....

Those young fellows have it good. They have some great parents and grandparents! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a good friend that when her grandsons come to visit, she rents a mini excavator for the weekend and lets them dig in the field. They have both gotten very good at running the excavator.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Paul

View attachment 102068
I think that is awesome. If playing in the dirt ‘ruins a kid’, I wonder what will be thought on what the public school curriculum suggests / teaches?

Reactions: 1 user

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
I grew up with a backhoe as my jungle gym. Some of the best childhood memories I have are playing around when my dad was digging the pluming.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
i have a friend who owned a construction business and since he goes fishing with the rental yard owner, he would rent any piece of equipment his son chose for the weekend for his birthday present. By the time that fellow was 12 years old he could efficiently operate just about anything.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
First y'all introduce them to real strawberries and now this. Those kids are ruirn't.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I think that is awesome. If playing in the dirt ‘ruins a kid’, I wonder what will be thought on what the public school curriculum suggests / teaches?
I probably should have clarified that a bit, and said that my SIL was just kidding around when he said that..... 🍺

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
i have a friend who owned a construction business and since he goes fishing with the rental yard owner, he would rent any piece of equipment his son chose for the weekend for his birthday present. By the time that fellow was 12 years old he could efficiently operate just about anything.
Geez, that post takes me back.

My father had a construction business and when I was perhaps 9 or 10 years old he brought home a scizzors style manlift to reshingle the roof. I was the designated helper of course, fascinated by the controls. Saturday morning, Mom headed out to do the weekly grocery shopping and the last thing out of her mouth was "don't let him operate that machine by himself!".

The taillights were still visible as Dad said "Go down and get me a couple more bundles of shingles."

(Somewhat later in life, I learned that when Dad was 9 or 10 he lived by his wits on the streets of war torn Holland, the Nazis having taken the rest of his family as forced labour in Berlin. By his standards, he was coddling his children. We didn't have to eat boiled shoe leather and tulip bulbs.)