Flat face coupler or ISO 7241-1 coupler for Land Pride Grapple???

dieselbob69

Equipment
Kubota BX2380 (previously a BX1870 and GR2100)...
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Hi folks! I finally got around to installing the third function kit from Summit Hydraulics on my Kubota BX2380. In the kit from Summit I received ISO 7241-1 B series hydraulic couplers for the bulkhead mount to grapple. The Land Pride SGC0554 grapple I have has the flat face couplers on the ends. Do the flat face couplers have a better flow rate, or will it be ok to swap out the grapple fittings to the same ones I got with the Summit kit?
EC2E790B-85F6-46E5-A665-B39FD207AE0B.jpeg

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Flow rate wouldn’t be my concern. With the numbers on the connectors you can Google their respective flow rates but I strongly suspect either will handle the full flow rate of your tractor. Even if not, all 3rd function flow rate affects on a grapple is lid cycle time and that’s unlikely to be noticeably changed by coupler choice.

It’s really a matter of preference. Flat face doesn’t leave a teaspoon of fluid on your shop floor when you disconnect. Other than that 🤷‍♂️. I suspect there are some who may have strong opinions on the issue of flat face v pioneer style. To me it’s a Ford/Chevy debate; at least it is on a tractor up to and including utility size.

Reactions: 1 user

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
I also prefer flat face, but everyone has their preference. Whichever one you decide to use, poppet or flat face, purchase the correct size inlet threads and orient the couplers (male/female) to ensure your controls buttons remain as you prefer.

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I just used poiner style on my b7100, and what others said is true, they do drip a bit of fluid when disconnected, for me it was a price thing as pioneer style cost a fair bit less and since my money does more of a jiggle jiggle thing and less of a fold thing it was an easy choice for me. Also I will only be using the disconnects 2x a year so a little dribble dribble 2x a year is nbd to me on a 40 year old tractor, I'm just happy to have quick disconnects for the first time in my life, your mileage may vary depending on the amount you use them, as others said flow rate shouldn't be a huge difference especially on something like a grapple

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Another vote for flat face couplers, had too many leak issues with “ag” style couplers. Flat face will cost more but less issues in the long run.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Functionally, either will work. The flow issue only comes into play (IMHO) with high flow systems on bigger machines using high flow attachments. Like brush cutters, rotors brushes, etc. Either will work fine for you. Some have had issue with disconnecting the pioneer style. Never have personally. Yes, there is a dribble with them.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi folks! I finally got around to installing the third function kit from Summit Hydraulics on my Kubota BX2380. In the kit from Summit I received ISO 7241-1 B series hydraulic couplers for the bulkhead mount to grapple. The Land Pride SGC0554 grapple I have has the flat face couplers on the ends. Do the flat face couplers have a better flow rate, or will it be ok to swap out the grapple fittings to the same ones I got with the Summit kit? View attachment 98625
You have a tiny machine with a tiny hydraulic flow. That is not an issue with any with any style coupler. Personally I would stick with the retractable sleeve style coupler on something that size due to price.

And just to be clear the couplers on your Summit 3rd function kit ARE NOT "agricultural" couplers and will not interchange with the ISO 5675 agricultural coupler tips you commonly find in a tractor supply store. The Summit couplers will only work with ISO 7241-B style tips which are the same same style used by Kubota on most of the newer front loaders.

Dan

Last edited:

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Yeah, after looking at Summits website and stopping by Tractor Supply, figured I’d have to order the Summit ones. I could’ve stopped by a hydraulic place on Friday, but stopped by dealer today. They had the flat face ones in stock, so I got a male and female one with adapters for around $89. Glad I bought that Summit kit last August for $649.95, it’s listed on their site now for $799.95 on sale from $899.95…

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Use what makes you happy. I have FF couplers up front, pioneers on the back for 3PH attachments. Pioneers piss oil every time I un-couple and are dirt magnets.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Flow rate wouldn’t be my concern. With the numbers on the connectors you can Google their respective flow rates but I strongly suspect either will handle the full flow rate of your tractor. Even if not, all 3rd function flow rate affects on a grapple is lid cycle time and that’s unlikely to be noticeably changed by coupler choice.

It’s really a matter of preference. Flat face doesn’t leave a teaspoon of fluid on your shop floor when you disconnect. Other than that 🤷‍♂️. I suspect there are some who may have strong opinions on the issue of flat face v pioneer style. To me it’s a Ford/Chevy debate; at least it is on a tractor up to and including utility size.
For me....with arthritic hands, the pioneer style seem to be a bit easier to connect/disconnect.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
It is way harder than it seems. i had a grapple with a quick connect and purchased the same size for my plow but it would not work the summit was different diameter even though it was the same size I ended up having to go back to the dealer and spending twice as much as the summit for a chinese coupling that would work. unless you know the brand or buy both the male and female they may not work.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It is way harder than it seems. i had a grapple with a quick connect and purchased the same size for my plow but it would not work the summit was different diameter even though it was the same size I ended up having to go back to the dealer and spending twice as much as the summit for a chinese coupling that would work. unless you know the brand or buy both the male and female they may not work
Brand has nothing to do with it. You need to know the size AND the series of the coupler.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

dieselbob69

Equipment
Jan 2, 2022
WNY
Yeah, unless I wanted to buy 2 pioneer sets to mount grapple. I do have a couple places that make and sell hydraulic hoses, so they might have had correct ends(like what Summit sent) …

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
just keep buying more tractors so you don't HAVE to disconnect the implements ;)
1/3rd acre, 5 tractors, no worries...