Ford wants to allow your car to lock you out — and even drive itself to an impound lot or scrapyard — if you miss payments

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I read the article below about this technology. I understand that Ford is wanting to 'help' with people avoiding payment and the collection process. Yet, Ford should focus on making reliable vehicles and not how to screw over their customers. I could see Ford getting sued multiple ways on this technology.

Maybe I'm just old, but I think my 1999 Ford Ranger will be with me for as long as I can find spare parts.

Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
its not just the thumbs ups and the smiles that keep me running my 86 C25.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
its not just the thumbs ups and the smiles that keep me running my 86 C25.
The Square-body GM's are sought-after right now. Odd to see them sell at Mecum Antique Tractor/Truck auctions.

Had a school bus yellow '86 GMC I drove forever. Former Maryland State DOT truck.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Maybe I'm just old, but I think my 1999 Ford Ranger will be with me for as long as I can find spare parts.
Its not just you. I have other vehicles to drive but my 1997 Land Cruiser is still my favorite and most reliable vehicle. 26 years old now and 340,000 miles. Original engine, Transmission, T-case, Drive Train, etc...

Cruiser2.jpg

High Mileage Badges.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I've never missed a payment so it is of no concern to me.

Reactions: 2 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Bless their hearts 😂😂😂

We had a thread on our private Ford network forum about this, they got so much positive feedback that they deleted it 🤣

• Haha

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I've never missed a payment so it is of no concern to me.
Unless Ford/your financial institution makes a mistake and forgets to post a payment......

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Ford trucks already lock you out of using your truck if you have an emissions related fault and dont get it fixed in XX miles.

My 2013 6.7 was on a 50 mile countdown to disabling the truck because i had a bad NOX sensor wire. Even after i spent days tracking down the problem and fixing it, the truck still had to be taken to ford to clear the code, regular scan tool wouldnt do it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Ford trucks already lock you out of using your truck if you have an emissions related fault and dont get it fixed in XX miles.

My 2013 6.7 was on a 50 mile countdown to disabling the truck because i had a bad NOX sensor wire. Even after i spent days tracking down the problem and fixing it, the truck still had to be taken to ford to clear the code, regular scan tool wouldnt do it.
Ford didn't do this. The EPA did and it's not unique to Ford. I just wish they would do the same to gassers that have a failed O2 or cat.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I think this is a superb idea. I mean, no one could possibly hack it and brick your vehicle maliciously. (Yes, that was sarcasm)
On the other hand, this will open up a new market for defeat devices. Good for business.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
Ford didn't do this. The EPA did and it's not unique to Ford. I just wish they would do the same to gassers that have a failed O2 or cat.
It was my FORD TRUCK that was going to leave me stranded on the side of the road if the emissions system wasnt reset by a FORD DEALERSHIP. EPA made some regulations but they didnt design the system.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Bless their hearts 😂😂😂

We had a thread on our private Ford network forum about this, they got so much positive feedback that they deleted it 🤣
I'm sure most of the responses were very positive 🙄🙄🙄

• Haha

notaz3

Mar 16, 2021
ID
Never financed a vehicle, so that wouldn't be a problem. My problem is that I'm tired of all the computer and electronic crap in my truck. Bring back a basic truck that does well with hauling a load and doesn't have all the computer junk.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
It was my FORD TRUCK that was going to leave me stranded on the side of the road if the emissions system wasnt reset by a FORD DEALERSHIP. EPA made some regulations but they didnt design the system.
That was part of the regulation. Your truck, my truck, Bob's truck...Ford, Ram, Chevy, they all have to comply. And they all do it the same way. Any on road diesel that uses a SCR system is required to de-rate and then go into limp mode after a certain number of miles. A "no start" function is also present if the vehicle is in the final de-rate mode and turned off. This strategy was the caveat that made the EPA agree to SCR in the first place. The only on road that don't do this is emergency vehicles that got an exception to this rule and have been programmed as such.
BTW, you just needed a better OBD tool or Forscan. You did not need to go to the dealer. I've replaced NOx sensors, DEF pumps, and DPFs without going to the dealer to clear a code. The one thing I had to go to a shop for was when I got an air bag light for removing the seatbelt with the battery connected. Only IDS allowed the reset of that code.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
That was part of the regulation. Your truck, my truck, Bob's truck...Ford, Ram, Chevy, they all have to comply. And they all do it the same way. Any on road diesel that uses a SCR system is required to de-rate and then go into limp mode after a certain number of miles. A "no start" function is also present if the vehicle is in the final de-rate mode and turned off. This strategy was the caveat that made the EPA agree to SCR in the first place. The only on road that don't do this is emergency vehicles that got an exception to this rule and have been programmed as such.
BTW, you just needed a better OBD tool or Forscan. You did not need to go to the dealer. I've replaced NOx sensors, DEF pumps, and DPFs without going to the dealer to clear a code. The one thing I had to go to a shop for was when I got an air bag light for removing the seatbelt with the battery connected. Only IDS allowed the reset of that code.
The EPA requires a fault code to be reset with an expensive tool rather than reseting itself once the fault is fixed?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The EPA requires a fault code to be reset with an expensive tool rather than reseting itself once the fault is fixed?
It’s all about the Benjamins!!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
It takes more than one missed payment to get to collections.
Don't worry, AI will take care of that oversight.

The funnier part is if your self Ford/Tesla gets into an accident driving itself away the vehicle purchaser and/or insurer will be held responsible for the accident and repairs.