Footprint in the garage of a BX23s with bucket and backhoe.

jbonell

Equipment
Kubota BX23s
Feb 28, 2023
New Hampshire
I have a BX23s on order. I'm still trying to figure out if I could park it in my garage with the backhoe and the loader resting on the ground. If the quick hitch bucket is resting on the ground and the 12" backhoe with thumb is also resting on the ground (with the stabilizers tied up), is it under 15 feet long? I don't seem to be able to find a diagram that shows the floor space taken up. I assume this would also help me find an appropriate trailer for local transport.

Thanks for helping an idiot with a new tractor..

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a BX23s on order. I'm still trying to figure out if I could park it in my garage with the backhoe and the loader resting on the ground. If the quick hitch bucket is resting on the ground and the 12" backhoe with thumb is also resting on the ground (with the stabilizers tied up), is it under 15 feet long? I don't seem to be able to find a diagram that shows the floor space taken up. I assume this would also help me find an appropriate trailer for local transport.

Thanks for helping an idiot with a new tractor..
The overall length of a BX23s is listed at 174.8 mm.
That is 14.56'
You should be Ok with 15' of storage space length.
(Use a cheap ratchet strap for the stabilizers)

For best price on a trailer, you might try Tim's RV, 0n Rte #2, in Irving, MA. 1-413-522-3410
They are nice people, (5 star rating) and there will be no tax, since you will be registering out of state.
Maine has the cheapest trailer registration of all, and you DO NOT need to have a residence, or mailing address in Maine.
$20 per year trailer registration fee in Maine!
Check it out,...... hundreds of thousands of trailers are registered in Maine!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If the trailer spends more than 30 days in the state (both CT and MA), then it has to be registered in the state. MA is always pushing this on the people with landscape trailers. CT has a reasonable fee for trailers, unlike MA which wants to get rich on all the resident's backs. CT has high registration fees for cars and trucks, MA is not quite as high.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
With the measurements being talked about, it sounds like a garage addition/expansion with a lean to for the trailer may be you next project.

jbonell

Equipment
Kubota BX23s
Feb 28, 2023
New Hampshire
The overall length of a BX23s is listed at 174.8 mm.
That is 14.56'
You should be Ok with 15' of storage space length.
(Use a cheap ratchet strap for the stabilizers)

For best price on a trailer, you might try Tim's RV, 0n Rte #2, in Irving, MA. 1-413-522-3410
They are nice people, (5 star rating) and there will be no tax, since you will be registering out of state.
Maine has the cheapest trailer registration of all, and you DO NOT need to have a residence, or mailing address in Maine.
$20 per year trailer registration fee in Maine!
Check it out,...... hundreds of thousands of trailers are registered in Maine!
Thanh you very much.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
With the backhoe boom locked in the up position, it takes up less space.

You can also swing the boom to the side to gain space.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You'll need a spot 5' x 15' though I don't know why you say BH bucket will be on the ground ? BH boom is pinned up so bucket can't touch the ground.
If space is 'tight' in the garage, remove bucket ,place on dolly and slide underneath a workbench. That's where I keep the pallet forks .Out of the way, dry and EASY to get to !!

You can haul the BX23S on any '16' long car hauler', though 18 is better depending on what else is going with it.

While you're waiting, order a 'cold brew coffee Mason jar filter' ! Place it in the fuel tank neck BEFORE you fill up . Also when you get the tractor, check the front axle oil level....

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If the trailer spends more than 30 days in the state (both CT and MA), then it has to be registered in the state. MA is always pushing this on the people with landscape trailers. CT has a reasonable fee for trailers, unlike MA which wants to get rich on all the resident's backs. CT has high registration fees for cars and trucks, MA is not quite as high.
Is enforcing the 30 day registration requirement an ancillary duty of the "mattress police" ?;)

Last edited:
  • Haha

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
You'll need a spot 5' x 15' though I don't know why you say BH bucket will be on the ground ? BH boom is pinned up so bucket can't touch the ground.
If space is 'tight' in the garage, remove bucket ,place on dolly and slide underneath a workbench. That's where I keep the pallet forks .Out of the way, dry and EASY to get to !!

You can haul the BX23S on any '16' long car hauler', though 18 is better depending on what else is going with it.

While you're waiting, order a 'cold brew coffee Mason jar filter' ! Place it in the fuel tank neck BEFORE you fill up . Also when you get the tractor, check the front axle oil level....
Don't BX23s tractors come from the factory with fuel tank neck screen filters?
My L48 TLB has a fine screen mesh filter in the tank fill neck .

jbonell

Equipment
Kubota BX23s
Feb 28, 2023
New Hampshire
The 14.56' length given, IS with the BH boom, up and locked.
This is all very helpful. Thank you. What I might do is store the backhoe in the shed, since you don’t have to be on a level surface to disconnect it. The rest of the tractor can go in the garage. Again, thanks so much for your help.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Just as important s garage door height. It's nice to have enough height to leave the ROPS up. I have to lower mine and I seem to forget and always bump my head on it when it's down and I'm moving around the tractor.

Nate77

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 5, 2023
Indiana
Just measured mine yesterday, since I’m trailer shopping, pretty much exactly 15’

My biggest problem is all the mud the little guy tracks in, it is like he was born in a barn or something. Lol.

jbonell

Equipment
Kubota BX23s
Feb 28, 2023
New Hampshire
Our BX23s was delivered the day before a significant snowstorm, so I had a couple hours to move snow well out of the way rather than just blowing it to the side. As far as the footprint, you all were spot on. With at least five feet by fifteen feet, it fit perfectly with room to get around. Yes, the snow melt puddles the garage, but at least she's protected. I'm looking forward to redoing our lakeside landscaping as soon as the snow melts, and meanwhile, I'm ready for more snow. I would like to find a step I could attach to her since I'm not very flexible. I'll carry around a small footstool in the meantime.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
here's one mfr of a step..
EXPENSIVE,but he got some rave reviews on this site...
There should be several 'Made in USA' versions
If you know a welder,or one nearby, it is easy to make.
Use 1/4" plywood to locate frame holes ,then cut wood as needed to make a 'template' that he can copy.
Another option, entry step from a travel trailer ?
Scrap of fire escape step,modified to fit ?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
here's one mfr of a step..
EXPENSIVE,but he got some rave reviews on this site...
There should be several 'Made in USA' versions
If you know a welder,or one nearby, it is easy to make.
Use 1/4" plywood to locate frame holes ,then cut wood as needed to make a 'template' that he can copy.
Another option, entry step from a travel trailer ?
Scrap of fire escape step,modified to fit ?
Yup, some do feel that "specialtyrepairscustommods.com" makes expensive stuff.
Their step offers less chance of my falling,..... and at 82, that was a very good reason for me to buy!