Simple repair, but frustrating

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2380; R4 tires; 54" MMM; FEL w Pirahna bar; Ballast Box; BXpanded skid plate.
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
LA344 loader on my BX2380 started hemorrhaging fluid while collecting firewood this morning. Turned out to be a busted O-ring on the left lift cylinder. Fix was simple enough - a new O-ring - but still caused an hour or so of downtime.

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
Good thing about that is, it's easy to fix if you know how and, you knew how.
;)

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Good thing about that is, it's easy to fix if you know how and, you knew how.
;)
Yeah... I spent more time swearing at it than I did fixing it. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
Thats not any where near fustrating!!!!
I have leaky flat faced couplers to the loader..... females do not have oring kit available, and are $180 each..... other brands may not work, if they are larger in diameter, they wont 'fit', theres a row of 4 connectors in very close proximity.... (one off brand ive already tried) hoses are BSPP threads..... valve body is M24, and some weird port style that no adapter will reach into.....
All over a few 10c O rings......

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Thats not any where near fustrating!!!!
I have leaky flat faced couplers to the loader..... females do not have oring kit available, and are $180 each..... other brands may not work, if they are larger in diameter, they wont 'fit', theres a row of 4 connectors in very close proximity.... (one off brand ive already tried) hoses are BSPP threads..... valve body is M24, and some weird port style that no adapter will reach into.....
All over a few 10c O rings......
Yeah, that WOULD be frustrating. So far, mine aren't leaking, but that's a known, and common, problem with the BX series.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
LA344 loader on my BX2380 started hemorrhaging fluid while collecting firewood this morning. Turned out to be a busted O-ring on the left lift cylinder. Fix was simple enough - a new O-ring - but still caused an hour or so of downtime.
I'm curious as where the busted O-ring was?
And did you have to pull it apart to discover the O-ring was busted?
And what do you mean by busted, because O-rings rarely come apart.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I'm curious as where the busted O-ring was?
And did you have to pull it apart to discover the O-ring was busted?
And what do you mean by busted, because O-rings rarely come apart.
The O-ring was under the hose fitting on the lower (input) end of the lift cylinder. Yes, it was broken - probably was pinched or cut during original assembly. Lockdown nut had backed off, allowing fluid to escape past the broken/cut O-ring.

Just had to disconnect the hose, remove the "L" fitting, clean the area off and install a new O-ring.

As I said, it was a simple repair. Just frustrating to have to do it outside with temp in the 20s.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The O-ring was under the hose fitting on the lower (input) end of the lift cylinder. Yes, it was broken - probably was pinched or cut during original assembly. Lockdown nut had backed off, allowing fluid to escape past the broken/cut O-ring.

Just had to disconnect the hose, remove the "L" fitting, clean the area off and install a new O-ring.

As I said, it was a simple repair. Just frustrating to have to do it outside with temp in the 20s.
So it wasn't a cylinder issue at all. It was a hose connection/fitting issue right?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

That's an SAE port adapter fitting - where did you get the replacement o-ring?

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
From a 'universal' O-ring kit I have on hand.
Well ORB o-rings are specific to that application. I hope that universal kit was made specifically for SAE fittings. If not steal an o-ring off another fitting and use it to replace the one from your "universal" kit.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Ok that makes a lot more since to me.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I suspect the loose lock nut was the issue. Hydraulic fluid under pressure leaking past the oring probably cut it. I have seen this happen on a water jet intensifier connection.

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
I suspect the loose lock nut was the issue. Hydraulic fluid under pressure leaking past the oring probably cut it. I have seen this happen on a water jet intensifier connection.
That sounds likely.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Another common failure is the loose lock nut allowed the fitting to rotate back and forth under the pull of the hose and that tore the oring.

Dan

JimDeL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 31, 2022
Austintown, Ohio
Another common failure is the loose lock nut allowed the fitting to rotate back and forth under the pull of the hose and that tore the oring.

Dan
Yeah. The fitting seemed tight, though. Just the nut (and O-ring) had backed off slightly.