Kubota B8200 - Any performance mods?

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
This is my first tractor but I have an older Diesel truck, a 2000 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel, and it seems like guys really like to build up their diesels and there's lots of aftermarket parts to get more performance. I was just wondering if there's anything similar for diesel tractors? Digital propane injection, exhaust upgrades, etc.. Any way to get a 19hp Kubota stock motor to put out an extra HP or two?

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
L3400DT 4WD, SSQA, Bobcat T190, Flail mower, Brushhog, Brushshark, Ratchet rake
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas
I
This is my first tractor but I have an older Diesel truck, a 2000 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel, and it seems like guys really like to build up their diesels and there's lots of aftermarket parts to get more performance. I was just wondering if there's anything similar for diesel tractors? Digital propane injection, exhaust upgrades, etc.. Any way to get a 19hp Kubota stock motor to put out an extra HP or two?
I'm quite sure Tim Allen covered that on a Home Improvement episode.

Just kidding of course.

Recently I've discovered I needed more hydraulic flow rate for operating attachments and solved my problem by adding a Bobcat T190 to the herd.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I think you will find the tractor already produces more engine power than it can get on the ground. Unless you are looking to run some sort of large PTO load consider adding ballast. It is cheap and improves traction.

Dan

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
I think you will find the tractor already produces more engine power than it can get on the ground. Unless you are looking to run some sort of large PTO load consider adding ballast. It is cheap and improves traction.

Dan
I am just looking for implement performance. Most implements seem to be rated for 20 hp minimum and some of the deals on implements that I have recently picked up seem pretty heavy duty and I expect they would run better with a little more HP. So far I've gotten some good deals, a Land Pride FDR2560 grooming mower that came with a giant old Goossen leaf blower for $1,200 and it looks like the mower was only used once and then sat for 5 years, hardly a ding in the blades or scratch in the factory pain under the deck. The leaf blower was beat up but it works and I did a few welding repairs. I'm thinking the blower alone was worth the money. If I can't figure out how to convert the blower to a vacuum I'll probably sell it since I don't really use it in my yard with the way the wind blows. I also got a 48" land pride rotary mower/bush hog that was pretty beat up but works good for $300. And I just grabbed an old Loftness 60" snowblower in nice shape for $800, runs so smooth you can't even hear it when its on. I'm working on fabricating a couple brackets so I can automate the snowblower chute with window motors and hopefully that will make short work of clearing the driveway this winter. I'm sure the snowblower is going to make me wish I had a HST machine though.

Given the tractor's an 1989, I should start by making sure everything is in tune and adjusted. But aftermarket air intakes and exhausts are typically the shortest rout to increased HP in most motors so I just asked in case someone know of parts that might make a difference on this tractor.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I am just looking for implement performance. Most implements seem to be rated for 20 hp minimum and some of the deals on implements that I have recently picked up seem pretty heavy duty and I expect they would run better with a little more HP. So far I've gotten some good deals, a Land Pride FDR2560 grooming mower that came with a giant old Goossen leaf blower for $1,200 and it looks like the mower was only used once and then sat for 5 years, hardly a ding in the blades or scratch in the factory pain under the deck. The leaf blower was beat up but it works and I did a few welding repairs. I'm thinking the blower alone was worth the money. If I can't figure out how to convert the blower to a vacuum I'll probably sell it since I don't really use it in my yard with the way the wind blows. I also got a 48" land pride rotary mower/bush hog that was pretty beat up but works good for $300. And I just grabbed an old Loftness 60" snowblower in nice shape for $800, runs so smooth you can't even hear it when its on. I'm working on fabricating a couple brackets so I can automate the snowblower chute with window motors and hopefully that will make short work of clearing the driveway this winter. I'm sure the snowblower is going to make me wish I had a HST machine though.

Given the tractor's an 1989, I should start by making sure everything is in tune and adjusted. But aftermarket air intakes and exhausts are typically the shortest rout to increased HP in most motors so I just asked in case someone know of parts that might make a difference on this tractor.
Be careful in using an aftermarket air intake. Tractors operate in a dusty environment and a lot of aftermarket intakes use minimum restriction air filters which means they don't filter very well.

The 7.3 L Ford/Navistar motor utilized electronic fuel injection and these engines are easier to "overfuel" to increase power output. This is a risky way to get power increases because one doesn't know what the limiting engine/driveline components are. Too much over fuel can damage engines and drivelines.
The best and safest way to increase power output is to buy a bigger machine

Reactions: 1 users

Kubie L3400D

Equipment
L3400DT 4WD, SSQA, Bobcat T190, Flail mower, Brushhog, Brushshark, Ratchet rake
Jun 29, 2022
FredNeck Acres, Tejas

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
A pump with 2.5 times the flow will require 2.5 times the power to run it, It will generally have a bigger envelope and drive shaft so fitment will be an issue. It is unlikely to be a simple change over. A pto pump with a separate reservoir might be the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

These are tractors not cars or trucks. Like I said - you are going to be constrained by the size and weight of the machine far more than engine horsepower. My 17HP B7200 will spin my Woods RD7200 finish mower just fine but the sheer size and weight of the mower tosses the tractor around. Its 700+ pounds which the 3pt can and did lift but I also discovered its more than the top cover casting could support - it cracked. After replacing that the mower stayed on the ground.

Dan

Reactions: 3 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
These are tractors not cars or trucks. Like I said - you are going to be constrained by the size and weight of the machine far more than engine horsepower. My 17HP B7200 will spin my Woods RD7200 finish mower just fine but the sheer size and weight of the mower tosses the tractor around. Its 700+ pounds which the 3pt can and did lift but I also discovered its more than the top cover casting could support - it cracked. After replacing that the mower stayed on the ground.

Dan
Yep. Along similar lines… I had 9N Ford I used for years to keep a couple runways mowed. The original 4-foot shredder digested its’ gearbox and I came across a Rhino 72” shredder that weighs more than the tractor…. so I used it as a “pull-behind” mower running on it’s tailwheel and chaining the front-end to the top-link to keep it off the skids . This worked well… until one day it didn’t…and the top cover casting disintegrated.
After replacing that with parts from yesterdaystractors … I gave that little 9N back to the guy that gave it to me and solved the problem with a nice, large M-Kubota.

If you need more tractor…. get more tractor. Trying to “soup up” or “hot-rod” a small tractor can get disappointingly expensive. ;)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I installed a "rolling coal kit" and used RTV to glue a performance chip on the exhaust manifold on my1982 B8200.

I can now do 0-6 kph in under 10 seconds and the quarter mile in about 15 minutes.

My neighbor asked why my tractor is smoking. I said it's called performance.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yeah, nope.
There is not any simple or easy performance parts you can add.
The D950 your dealing with is pushing as much HP as it was designed to do.
There are some add on enthusiasts that have added a turbo, but their improvements are questionable to say the least.
Also note that all of the other parts of the tractor are designed for the HP output of the original motor, so increasing the motors output can very easily out due other parts.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
can you get more HP out of your.... yes but at a HUGE cost in time and money , and ...in the end you'll blow up the engine or destroy the tractor's drivetrain

as others have said ,to get more HP...buy a bigger tractor. It's a 'package'.

one HUGE factor in 'upgrading' , is CAN the drive train survive the increase in power. I doubt your truck would NOT last too long if ALL you did was double your engine's HP. I'm pretty sure guys replace the rad,U-joints, clutch, tranny guts, tires, brakes, etc. when they upgrade ?

re: 60" snowblower. have you ever seen a walkbehind 20HP unit WITH a 60" ( 5 foot) auger up front ??

You've got a 19HP tired engine , now maybe 17HP, take 2 off for moving...now down to 15HP. I had a new 14HP engine on a 33" walk behind snowblower and it was 'challenged' when 3/4 full of medium density snow.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
It is a matter of fuel and air. The Kubota (or at least mine) is an NA engine. Unless the intake or exhaust design is super restrictive there won’t be much you can do to get more power. If you add fuel, without more air it won’t help….it could even hurt.

It is like my old NA IDI diesel in my ‘88 e250. No real bolt on power adders except adding forced induction. So building a turbo kit for it.

A thing to think about is what would your benefit be with more power. You won’t really get more out of the hydrolics because max pressure is set by therelief valve. May get more ground speed under load up hills and you would be able to get more PTO hp. Just don’t add too much because all it will do is expose the next weakest link in the system…..just like Mossi by a vehicle