Looking for Snowblower!!!

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
So the B7100 will have no issue with a 60" snowblower? As far as pto HP?
If you get 3 foot deep drifts or a foot of wet packing snow you will be riding your clutch doing a lot of stop and recovers...

Consider chaining or studding all four of your tires

I hate the cold and have a lot of snow I'd sell the B7100 and get a larger cab tractor with HST

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I think you'll have trouble with a 60" blower. I had a 54" agro-trend (meteor) blower for mine and I wouldn't want to go much bigger.
Unfortunately snowblowers hold their value. I bought mine for $1200, used it for several years and then sold it again for $1200.

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
I think you'll have trouble with a 60" blower. I had a 54" agro-trend (meteor) blower for mine and I wouldn't want to go much bigger.
Unfortunately snowblowers hold their value. I bought mine for $1200, used it for several years and then sold it again for $1200.
Did you have the B7100D also?

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
The hydrostat version, anyway. HST-D (Hydrostat-4wheel drive).
Blowers are heavy implements - and with a load of snow in front of them, they may be hard to push around. With the hydrostat at least I could basically "feather" the speed and control the snow load in front of the blower on heavy days. It ran it pretty well, but I could tell it was about the max I'd want to run with it. If geared, particularly on heavier snow days, I'm sure my clutch leg would get a workout.

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
The hydrostat version, anyway. HST-D (Hydrostat-4wheel drive).
Blowers are heavy implements - and with a load of snow in front of them, they may be hard to push around. With the hydrostat at least I could basically "feather" the speed and control the snow load in front of the blower on heavy days. It ran it pretty well, but I could tell it was about the max I'd want to run with it. If geared, particularly on heavier snow days, I'm sure my clutch leg would get a workout.
I'm looking at a 50" just curious how it would run it.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
And you pay a premium buying at the start of the season...

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Both the B2550 and the B748 are front mounted and 50" (or so) and were sold as accessories to the B7100. The B2550 is a true snow blower (2 stage, the second being an impeller). The B748 is a snow-thrower, ie: single stage, no impeller. Snow throwers don't throw the snow nearly as far and tend to be challenged by wet snow. I had a similar snow-thrower on my old JD garden tractor and regretted buying it for many years.

As others have stated, a 60" would be a bit large for the B7100. Less of an issue with the HST version, since speed is easily controlled but the extra weight alone would be a consideration. Remember, you not only have to consider the weight of the implement itself, but also the weight of the snow filling it in wet conditions.

The B2550 used a complicated system of levers and rods underneath the tractor to utilize the rear 3ph arms to raise and lower the blower. It is powered by the mid-pto and won't work with early versions of the B7100 that came without one.

The B748 used a belt drive system rigged off the front of the engine, but had a separate hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower. If you find either, make sure you get all the bits and pieces!

Front mount blowers are nice because you can sit normally and drive forward while blowing. The disadvantage is that they act like a rudder in deep snow, keeping the tractor pointed straight regardless of steering. And on a manual-steering machine like the B7100, the added weight on the front axle makes steering pretty firm unless the rear is counter-weighted.

I have a B2550 (modified to use the FEL arms to raise and lower) but personally, I am currently using a B2789 3ph mounted blower on my B7100. It is 51" wide, dual stage true snow blower. It easily tosses the snow on top of a 15' pile and/or throws it 50' down range. Much heavier duty than the B2550; the metal is twice as thick, the chute is bigger and it tackles all but the wettest slush without plugging. The rudder effect is present, but greatly reduced since the implement is behind the rear wheels instead of in front of the front wheels. The only disadvantage is that one must twist sideways in the seat and look over a shoulder because it's hanging off the rear. Or rig a back-up camera, mirror, etc.

Someone mentioned the desirability of a cab when blowing snow and that's exactly why I built a cab for my B7100. I wasn't the first either. Front mount or rear mount, the wind will blow and some of the snow you are throwing into the air will end up in your face at some point. I wore a snowmobile helmet for a few seasons before rigging a soft-cab on the old JD. When I got the B7100, I built a full cab complete with windshield wipers. No heat in the cabin but I have to put a coat on to go between the house and the tractor anyway. Just being protected from the wind and snow makes a world of difference.

Finally, if you are going to use that tractor in the winter, do yourself and your engine a favour and add a block heater. I use an in-line unit in the lower rad hose and find that extremely effective with the B7100's convection cooling system. Within 2 hours, the snow is melting off the top of the hood. It makes for much easier starting, and it can't help but reduce cold start-up engine wear.

I also have a battery blanket that helps the battery deliver good voltage to the glow plug system. The block heater and battery blanket are plugged into an on-board y-cable so a single extension cord powers both. I leave the tractor plugged in when I park it and turn them on with a radio controlled remote power outlet from the warmth of the house an hour or two before going out to blow snow.

Studding the tires is also mentioned above. I have unstudded turf tires on my 4wd model and have no problems blowing uphill even over ice. The multitude of small blocks act like sniped snow tires. My neighbour, impressed by seeing how my rig works, went out and bought a B2650 with front-mount blower and R4 tires. He has all sorts of traction and steering problems. If you have R1 or R4 tires I would definitely add chains or studs to all 4, particularly if you will ever have to deal with hills or ice.

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
Both the B2550 and the B748 are front mounted and 50" (or so) and were sold as accessories to the B7100. The B2550 is a true snow blower (2 stage, the second being an impeller). The B748 is a snow-thrower, ie: single stage, no impeller. Snow throwers don't throw the snow nearly as far and tend to be challenged by wet snow. I had a similar snow-thrower on my old JD garden tractor and regretted buying it for many years.

As others have stated, a 60" would be a bit large for the B7100. Less of an issue with the HST version, since speed is easily controlled but the extra weight alone would be a consideration. Remember, you not only have to consider the weight of the implement itself, but also the weight of the snow filling it in wet conditions.

The B2550 used a complicated system of levers and rods underneath the tractor to utilize the rear 3ph arms to raise and lower the blower. It is powered by the mid-pto and won't work with early versions of the B7100 that came without one.

The B748 used a belt drive system rigged off the front of the engine, but had a separate hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower. If you find either, make sure you get all the bits and pieces!

Front mount blowers are nice because you can sit normally and drive forward while blowing. The disadvantage is that they act like a rudder in deep snow, keeping the tractor pointed straight regardless of steering. And on a manual-steering machine like the B7100, the added weight on the front axle makes steering pretty firm unless the rear is counter-weighted.

I have a B2550 (modified to use the FEL arms to raise and lower) but personally, I am currently using a B2789 3ph mounted blower on my B7100. It is 51" wide, dual stage true snow blower. It easily tosses the snow on top of a 15' pile and/or throws it 50' down range. Much heavier duty than the B2550; the metal is twice as thick, the chute is bigger and it tackles all but the wettest slush without plugging. The rudder effect is present, but greatly reduced since the implement is behind the rear wheels instead of in front of the front wheels. The only disadvantage is that one must twist sideways in the seat and look over a shoulder because it's hanging off the rear. Or rig a back-up camera, mirror, etc.

Someone mentioned the desirability of a cab when blowing snow and that's exactly why I built a cab for my B7100. I wasn't the first either. Front mount or rear mount, the wind will blow and some of the snow you are throwing into the air will end up in your face at some point. I wore a snowmobile helmet for a few seasons before rigging a soft-cab on the old JD. When I got the B7100, I built a full cab complete with windshield wipers. No heat in the cabin but I have to put a coat on to go between the house and the tractor anyway. Just being protected from the wind and snow makes a world of difference.

Finally, if you are going to use that tractor in the winter, do yourself and your engine a favour and add a block heater. I use an in-line unit in the lower rad hose and find that extremely effective with the B7100's convection cooling system. Within 2 hours, the snow is melting off the top of the hood. It makes for much easier starting, and it can't help but reduce cold start-up engine wear.

I also have a battery blanket that helps the battery deliver good voltage to the glow plug system. The block heater and battery blanket are plugged into an on-board y-cable so a single extension cord powers both. I leave the tractor plugged in when I park it and turn them on with a radio controlled remote power outlet from the warmth of the house an hour or two before going out to blow snow.

Studding the tires is also mentioned above. I have unstudded turf tires on my 4wd model and have no problems blowing uphill even over ice. The multitude of small blocks act like sniped snow tires. My neighbour, impressed by seeing how my rig works, went out and bought a B2650 with front-mount blower and R4 tires. He has all sorts of traction and steering problems. If you have R1 or R4 tires I would definitely add chains or studs to all 4, particularly if you will ever have to deal with hills or ice.
Thanks for the info, I'm currently looking at a 51" rear mounted, you have no issues with your 50"?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Thanks for the info, I'm currently looking at a 51" rear mounted, you have no issues with your 50"?
My B2789 is a 51" and no, I have no problems. To be sure, I go slower in deep, heavy or wet snow which is easy with an HST transmission. Is yours geared or HST?

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
My B2789 is a 51" and no, I have no problems. To be sure, I go slower in deep, heavy or wet snow which is easy with an HST transmission. Is yours geared or HST?
Yeah mine is geared, which I'm ok with. I was just worried about the hp for a 51" . As long as I know that it'll blow it, I'm fine

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I run a B2650 on my late model B7100hst. Here in central Wi we rarely see snows over 12 inches. My tractor has plenty of HP for the conditions that I encounter. I do most of my snow removal with the rear mounted 3 pt blade unless the snow depth is towards that 10 to 12 inches or greater. I also use the snowblower for pushing/moving snow banks back which does a great job.
Of course with the HST I have the luxury of slowing down and letting the blower work efficiently .

Good luck on your quest for a blower!

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
I run a B2650 on my late model B7100hst. Here in central Wi we rarely see snows over 12 inches. My tractor has plenty of HP for the conditions that I encounter. I do most of my snow removal with the rear mounted 3 pt blade unless the snow depth is towards that 10 to 12 inches or greater. I also use the snowblower for pushing/moving snow banks back which does a great job.
Of course with the HST I have the luxury of slowing down and letting the blower work efficiently .

Good luck on your quest for a blower!
Yeah I'm up in Northeastern WI. I found a newer 51" 3 point for $1,000 and was looking at a 3 point blade also. Where do you find chains for the tires at? I have turf tires also

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Yeah I'm up in Northeastern WI. I found a newer 51" 3 point for $1,000 and was looking at a 3 point blade also. Where do you find chains for the tires at? I have turf tires also
I am very happy with the traction I get with turf tires, no chains. My driveway is blacktop and is on a hill. I maintain my neighbors gravel drive which is more or less level.

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
I am very happy with the traction I get with turf tires, no chains. My driveway is blacktop and is on a hill. I maintain my neighbors gravel drive which is more or less level.
Oh nice thanks, I'm basically flat with a gravel driveway, and a little concrete incline to my garage

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
They are a good source

bmblank

Equipment
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Go with that. You're not going to find many blowers at a price like that.
Since you're relatively flat you should probably try it for a winter without any chains. I have R1s and didn't have any problem on mine with the same sort of situation, though Wisconsin is a fair bit icier than Michigan. We get more of the wet snow, which is better for traction.
Save some money, see if you need them. If you find you do need them you'll be able to get them at that point. Plus, they're a pain in the butt (I hear). Avoid if you don't need them.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Florence. Been thru there many a time. My parents grew up and we still have a "farm" in Iron River, MI.

jjbowman21

Equipment
Kubota B7100
Oct 18, 2022
Florence Wi
Go with that. You're not going to find many blowers at a price like that.
Since you're relatively flat you should probably try it for a winter without any chains. I have R1s and didn't have any problem on mine with the same sort of situation, though Wisconsin is a fair bit icier than Michigan. We get more of the wet snow, which is better for traction.
Save some money, see if you need them. If you find you do need them you'll be able to get them at that point. Plus, they're a pain in the butt (I hear). Avoid if you don't need them.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Florence. Been thru there many a time. My parents grew up and we still have a "farm" in Iron River, MI.
Oh nice, yep not to far from Iron River at all. Thanks for the help.