Rear chains on a BX

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Does anyone use rear chains on a BX without spacers? I cant use spacers because of my 54" mid mount mower deck and im not going to install and remove spacers every winter. I know theres not much room for chains on the BX. Are there any other options im not aware of? I was thinking maybe some type of strap on grips where the strap just runs through the slots on the wheels. If anyone uses these or has a link to some good ones let me know.

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
This may be like kicking in an open door, but why not remove the MMM for the winter? Not much need for it then, and you can check, clean and lubricate it.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
This may be like kicking in an open door, but why not remove the MMM for the winter? Not much need for it then, and you can check, clean and lubricate it.
The mower is not the problem. The spacers are.

PITA to install/remove spacers.

Reactions: 1 user

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
The MMM is removed for winter or any FEL work. When the deck is on there is no room for spacers.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Maybe there is enough room for chains on a BX23S but I know its tight in there. If the chain comes loose its probably too late and the damage may be done but maybe not as the BX isnt going to spin a tire like a car. The loader valve is in the right fender well! I only need chains when going to the back of my property. I live in the elevations and my drive gets drifts up to 4 feet. That part of the drive is also a decline. Once you get in too far im done for. Then I have to get the pick up and the tow chain out.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Curious,Have to ask why the need for spacers in winter ? I've been through 3 winters here and no need for extra width.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I have chains on the rear of my BX2380. THey've never been off. No spacers. Turfs,
I snowblow, mow, whatever.
They tear up my gravel driveway a little if I am doing tight turns (it's in 4WD 90% of the time) but
other than that, they've never moved, nor do I notice them in any way. I just leave them on.

I got them as I am a high snow area with lots of freeze/thaw cycles (ice) even though my dealer told me with a big blower and turfs and pretty flat land he'd doubt I'd ever get stuck. The chains are my insurance policy of that statement. I don't own a 4WD truck or other tractor that I would be able to yank myself out if I *DID* get stuck, so the $200 (or whatever I paid) was $$ well spent in my case.

I don't recall the exact model of chain, but I bought them here in Canada from a place in BC. They are just "normal" regular link chains...nothing super fancy or with big gawdy lugs, patterns or anything.
I got them from "canadianchains.ca"
I could pick the size online, and have them delivered in a timely fashion. Lotsa good reviews of these guys.
1663847093346.png
<<<>something like these

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep, I've been putting chains on my BX2360 for years. No spacers with R4 tires.

Simple ladder chains just like ve9aa.

I just keep them tight with tarp straps.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Leveraddict , we are not to far apart, and my BX has never had chains on her, it is tight to start with but still R4s and filled and the 2360 has never had a problem pushing snow. Now the old yellow one yeah I had chains on all the time. Though like RWC said keep them as tight as you can you should be OK. And why in the duce would you want to take the spacers off anyway?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You can also consider screw-in studs if you have ag tires.
I ran chains on the BX the first winter, chains that I purchased from the local Kubota dealer, but ended up installing screw in studs the following year and much preferred them over the chains which were a pain to put on and remove. The studs worked out great all year round for about three years, until I had 9,000 sq.ft. of asphalt put down and decided to remove them.

I really didn't have any issues running the BX without chains or studs one last winter before upgrading to an MX, and despite buying (and selling) chains for the MX, I soon realized that the MX didn't need them on the asphalt or gravel driveways.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Same for me - it was when I slid *off* the driveway the chains became necessary!
:ROFLMAO: I've been removing snow up here in NW MT for the past eight winters and have never slid off the driveway, and my driveways are fairly steep. The snow is usually on the drier side up here in NW Montana which no doubt helps with traction.

Sep 3, 2022
America
:ROFLMAO: I've been removing snow up here in NW MT for the past eight winters and have never slid off the driveway, and my driveways are fairly steep. The snow is usually on the drier side up here in NW Montana which no doubt helps with traction.
I'm getting better at sliding into the swamp with my zero-turn too. Maybe I should get another set of rubber chains? :)

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Use chains on my BX 2370-1 for the last 7 winters. The chains I use are old Semi truck chains that I made fit onto my BX. I do use a 1/2" wide wheel spacer. Being that there only 1/2" wide I'm still able to use the oem studs and bolts ,there is just enough threads to do this . Using them gives me a bit of piece of mind. The spacers are actually weld on drive hubs , that I bought at Princess Auto I did have to drill the holes through the plates to match my wheel stud spacing.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
View attachment 87532
I've used these "Softclaw rubber tire chains" on my 25hp snow clearing machine clearing snow from asphalt and they work great, are durable, made in USA and not too expensive.
These are what I run on my BX25d. I leave the BH on all winter so there’s plenty of traction. I even go off road and blow trails through my mowed areas…great for walking the dog all winter long as we can have a few feet of snow on the ground most winters. Love my BX and BX5455HD combo!

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I know that if I buy a set of chains, I will never get around to installing them, and probably never need them. If I don't purchase a set of chains, that is when I will need them and not have them. I installed the steel chains that I had on the BX when the weatherman said that we were going to get a blizzard. There was a lot of snow on the driveway at 9 AM when I wandered out to start blowing the snow. I don't think that I went 10 feet before I backed into the garage and removed those chains. It was like having square wheels on the machine. These rubber chains might not be as bad, but in the last 20 years with a BX tractor I never needed chains to clear the snow, but there have been more than one time, that I had to run the snowblower a few inches above the pavement because of the depth of the snow. I still haven't installed my 2" spacers that I bought 2 years ago. Being old and retired I figure that I will get around to it one of these days, just don't know when.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
I have chains on the rear of my BX2380. THey've never been off. No spacers. Turfs,
I snowblow, mow, whatever.
They tear up my gravel driveway a little if I am doing tight turns (it's in 4WD 90% of the time) but
other than that, they've never moved, nor do I notice them in any way. I just leave them on.

I got them as I am a high snow area with lots of freeze/thaw cycles (ice) even though my dealer told me with a big blower and turfs and pretty flat land he'd doubt I'd ever get stuck. The chains are my insurance policy of that statement. I don't own a 4WD truck or other tractor that I would be able to yank myself out if I *DID* get stuck, so the $200 (or whatever I paid) was $$ well spent in my case.

I don't recall the exact model of chain, but I bought them here in Canada from a place in BC. They are just "normal" regular link chains...nothing super fancy or with big gawdy lugs, patterns or anything.
I got them from "canadianchains.ca"
I could pick the size online, and have them delivered in a timely fashion. Lotsa good reviews of these guys.
View attachment 87516 <<<>something like these
Hmmm I wonder is turfs are the same size as R4's?

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Leveraddict , we are not to far apart, and my BX has never had chains on her, it is tight to start with but still R4s and filled and the 2360 has never had a problem pushing snow. Now the old yellow one yeah I had chains on all the time. Though like RWC said keep them as tight as you can you should be OK. And why in the duce would you want to take the spacers off anyway?
Skeets I dont have spacers. They would help with clearance issues for chains but once the MMM goes on in summer the spacers would be a problem. No problem pushing snow here either! Its when going down my drive to the back of the property. Its steep and where I get 4 foot drifts if I try to push through I get buried and stuck. So I have to grab a bucket back up the hill to dump, this is where I sit and spin.

Last edited: