Cutting up a large Basswood that fell down

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Anybody want some carving wood before I finish this?
Long enough to make a totem pole.
Nobody I know wants any more - I gave one guy a small piece to cut into RC airplane spars.
Free, and I will put it right on your truck if the tractor can pick it up.

IMGP0550.JPG

IMGP0551.JPG

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Would be great for someone in the market. Butt log looks clear, but think it has some blemishes they could work around.

30+ years ago the Basswood market was kind of hot for export to Japan (?) for a while. Seems like $6-800/mbf.

We used to occasionally cut it for firewood, but keep it aside for spring/fall wood. Never fill the stove with basswood in January…..ask me how I know…;)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Would be great for someone in the market. Butt log looks clear, but think it has some blemishes they could work around.

30+ years ago the Basswood market was kind of hot for export to Japan (?) for a while. Seems like $6-800/mbf.

We used to occasionally cut it for firewood, but keep it aside for spring/fall wood. Never fill the stove with basswood in January…..ask me how I know…;)
Why would you not burn it in January ? My lack of sophistication in such matters troubles me. Thanks

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
It makes poor firewood, too light. Probably makes lots of ash. I would use it for kindling but I have so much good firewood now that this will just rot.

Reactions: 1 user

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Just took down a monster next to my shed. Shame there's so much wood that will just go to waste. I've been cutting ash trees too - many over 80' tall dying from the emerald ash borer.

View attachment 86504
Between mine and my uncle’s property all the d the ash trees are dead, I assume from the emerald ash bore. What’s the protocol for cutting them up and moving it to a completely different location to burn in a fire pit? Is this a no-no or do the ash bores move on once the tree is dead? I don’t want to transport them to a new area if that is a concern. Thanks.

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
Between mine and my uncle’s property all the ash trees are dead, I assume from the emerald ash bore. What’s the protocol for cutting them up and moving it to a completely different location to burn in a fire pit?......
Emerald Ash Borer Information Network And from that page, this: "

The State of Illinois' Department of Agriculture (IDOA) no longer has regulations or restrictions in place for moving regulated ash materials.
This also means that there is no longer a quarantine within Illinois.
For more information about EAB, firewood regulations and compliance agreements, go to: this link
Contact person:Scott Schirmer
Illinois Department of Agriculture
Scott.Schirmer@Illinois.gov or call (815) 787-5476 "

Reactions: 1 users
Sep 3, 2022
America
It seems each state has its own (non?) response to the ash borer. We're not supposed to move ash trees from the property. "Remember that it is illegal to move all non-coniferous firewood outside of EAB quarantine areas and into Minnesota. See map of emerald ash borer status in Minnesota." source: https://www.mda.state.mn.us/eab

I'm more saddened by the (non) response to buckthorn - the parks here have become green walls and tunnels due to the unabated spread. Though like other invasives buckthorn requires an aggressive response to keep it tamped down and even then it's an annual project. One buckthorn berry has about 7 seeds and those seeds are viable for years. Robins love em and those purple splats everywhere are full of seeds.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
It seems each state has its own (non?) response to the ash borer. We're not supposed to move ash trees from the property. "Remember that it is illegal to move all non-coniferous firewood outside of EAB quarantine areas and into Minnesota. See map of emerald ash borer status in Minnesota." source: https://www.mda.state.mn.us/eab

I'm more saddened by the (non) response to buckthorn - the parks here have become green walls and tunnels due to the unabated spread. Though like other invasives buckthorn requires an aggressive response to keep it tamped down and even then it's an annual project. One buckthorn berry has about 7 seeds and those seeds are viable for years. Robins love em and those purple splats everywhere are full of seeds.
This is why there are so may red cedar trees across Kansas. Thousands are in fence rows!! Not just Robins enjoy the seeds.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Emerald Ash Borer Information Network And from that page, this: "

The State of Illinois' Department of Agriculture (IDOA) no longer has regulations or restrictions in place for moving regulated ash materials.
This also means that there is no longer a quarantine within Illinois.
For more information about EAB, firewood regulations and compliance agreements, go to: this link
Contact person:Scott Schirmer
Illinois Department of Agriculture
Scott.Schirmer@Illinois.gov or call (815) 787-5476 "
Thank you, that’s good news. There’s a lot of dead trees that are exactly the right size for firewood.
I saw they placed those purple traps on my property about 5-6 years ago.
Last week after mowing the field my dad and I were talking about all the dead trees in the bottoms, they’ve wiped out all of the ash.