Two Problems - One Solution

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
First, my new pole barn needed some grading work. It was built on an East - West Slope so I spent a number of evenings rearranging my yard to assure proper drainage. The end result was the need for quite a bit of dirt removed from the high side and some of it moved over to the low side to build a mowable slope. When all was done, I had pile of dirt remaining.

IMG_1845.jpg

My second problem was a seasonal creek I need to cross to gain access to the rear portion of my property. In the summer, it's no problem but anytime we have moisture, it's a big mud puddle. I bought a culvert of Craigslist 18 months ago but it's been sitting since then.

So today ( yesterday actually ) was the day. As a bonus, the culvert work site was in the shade. Not a small factor in the Missouri summer.

The site:

IMG_1842.jpg

I've read on the proper installation of a culvert. Gravel base, tamping machines, etc. This will only need to transport my UTV and my little L3130. The water flow is field run off from a few acres up hill I decided to give it a run with the material I have on hand.

Dug a little trough for the pipe. Water will fall into and out it. The length is only 10' 8". I think I have a 6" drop which is in line with what I looked up on some install site. I did just eyeball it.

IMG_1844.jpg

Then the tedious work of shuttling buckets of dirt. I had about 200 yards between the dirt pile and the project.

I'm guessing it will need some maintenance and I know I need more rocks at both ends. I will need to pick some up off the farm as thankfully, they are hard to fine at my place.

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
NICE !!!! sure glad you had some shade !!
It'll probably last several decades. When you get the rocks, for sure line BOTH sides with them,not just the 'upstream' side. Sadly I've got 2 tandem loads of perfect rocks for you here but dang diesel is pricey !!!

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
NICE !!!! sure glad you had some shade !!
It'll probably last several decades. When you get the rocks, for sure line BOTH sides with them,not just the 'upstream' side. Sadly I've got 2 tandem loads of perfect rocks for you here but dang diesel is pricey !!!
All fuel is pricy for sure. Plenty of rock around these parts ( just ask someone trying to put in a basement ). I'll be sure to rock in both sides. Thanks!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you find some rock nearby, get enough to lace around the intake all the way to the top of the dirt above and the whole face of that end. That protects your dirt from a hard rush of runoff after a "toad strangler" rain.

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I feel you on the transporting dirt by the bucket load thing. Ive moved about 100yds from my septic install with the 48" buckets on my machines, also about 200yds distance. I love tractor time but THAT gets boring!

Sad part is, someone gave me a dump trailer with no title.. but i filled it up with scrap metal and then never recycled it, so i've never been able to use it when i had the inkling. I should really recycle that stuff. 😅

Judging by what that creek bed looks like I really doubt it'll wash away your 'uncompacted dirt with no stabilizing rocks' very fast at all. I suspect it'll be fine for years and years. The creek bed on my property looks like the grand canyon compared to that, but i haven't had a big enough downpour in this drought to test the culvert & crossing i built.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Dug a little trough for the pipe. Water will fall into and out it. The length is only 10' 8". I think I have a 6" drop which is in line with what I looked up on some install site. I did just eyeball it.

Looks good! Hope your eyeball is good enough. Any bit of sloped terrain can mess up your inner "level" pretty badly. I've seen water flowing "uphill" because of terrain. A decent transit can be had for a couple hundred bucks (worth it for a place your size), and a mason line level is just a few bucks.

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Thanks for the feedback all. I have both ends " rocked " in and feel pretty good about the drop. We have a chance of rain this weekend and I'll look forward to watching the flow.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looks good!
I enjoyed setting mine.

IMG_0002z.JPG
IMG_0004z.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
First, my new pole barn needed some grading work. It was built on an East - West Slope so I spent a number of evenings rearranging my yard to assure proper drainage. The end result was the need for quite a bit of dirt removed from the high side and some of it moved over to the low side to build a mowable slope. When all was done, I had pile of dirt remaining.

View attachment 82928

My second problem was a seasonal creek I need to cross to gain access to the rear portion of my property. In the summer, it's no problem but anytime we have moisture, it's a big mud puddle. I bought a culvert of Craigslist 18 months ago but it's been sitting since then.

So today ( yesterday actually ) was the day. As a bonus, the culvert work site was in the shade. Not a small factor in the Missouri summer.

The site:

View attachment 82931

I've read on the proper installation of a culvert. Gravel base, tamping machines, etc. This will only need to transport my UTV and my little L3130. The water flow is field run off from a few acres up hill I decided to give it a run with the material I have on hand.

View attachment 82932

Then the tedious work of shuttling buckets of dirt. I had about 200 yards between the dirt pile and the project.

I'm guessing it will need some maintenance and I know I need more rocks at both ends. I will need to pick some up off the farm as thankfully, they are hard to fine at my place.

View attachment 82927
View attachment 82930
Looks good to me.. once you get a chance to watch it taking on water you can make adjustments and add to it if needed.👍 good job!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
Looks great, will be nice to drive through that new dry path. One suggestion (mainly asthetics), but throw two of those flanged culvert ends on each side. May alleviate potential washout of the soil/stones on each end.

Reactions: 1 users