To Grease or Not to Grease

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
That is the question. I am curious about the coupler that hooks up the mower deck drive to the PTO drive under the tractor. Last year I took that whole thing apart, cleaned it and greased it with moly grease. This year when I took it apart it was packed with dirt and other "nasties". So my question is: Is it better to leave this simply clean and dry (maybe a very light coat of oil) i.e. gun oil or such? Or better to grease the splines and the release mechanism? I am including a photo in case I am not calling the device by proper name. I think all the belly mower decks hook up similarly (some in front some at the rear).
I am starting to put this thing back together I can't afford to keep hiring someone to do my lawn :D
1653345916733.jpeg

1653345954362.jpeg

crbr

Equipment
2006 B7800, 2022 BX1880
Jan 8, 2010
TN
Grease the u-joint or you will continue to pay someone else with their greased machine to mow your lawn.

Reactions: 2 users

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
I assume your talking about the coupler? I don't grease mine, I make sure the spline on the tractor side is clean and on occasion put a light coat of oil on the splines just to keep any chance of rust forming. My B2620 was 10 years old when I traded it in and never had an issue. The RCK Work Shop Manual does not mention any lubing of the coupler. The U Joint is greased and also a light greasing of the splines where the driveshaft halfs connect. I mow 4 acres weekly.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Mine gets greased. The splines ,as well as the coupler gets grease, I even grease the stub shaft under the tractor. You can call it over grease if you like. It's easy enough to wipe clean it off every time the deck gets removed and add new .

Reactions: 2 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Definitely grease the splines, they are metal to metal and rub each other.

Reactions: 1 user

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
OK a little moly on the splines of the coupler. I hit the coupler itself with a little of the gun oil in the photo. I will leave that be. I greased it all last year and this year it was packed with filth. And yes I know to grease the fitting. I was just asking about the coupler mechanism itself and the splines

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I like using the 'thick' version of Rust-Check. It sprays on nice and even, gets where it needs to, STAYS there almost 'forever' and not a messy cleanup months later.
I've used it on the PTO shaft coupling tractor end and it's EASY to release and slide it onto the tractors PTO shaft BETTER than grease, well for me...

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I like using the 'thick' version of Rust-Check. It sprays on nice and even, gets where it needs to, STAYS there almost 'forever' and not a messy cleanup months later.
I've used it on the PTO shaft coupling tractor end and it's EASY to release and slide it onto the tractors PTO shaft BETTER than grease, well for me...
[/QUOTE
I have never seen the stuff.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
That is the question. I am curious about the coupler that hooks up the mower deck drive to the PTO drive under the tractor. Last year I took that whole thing apart, cleaned it and greased it with moly grease. This year when I took it apart it was packed with dirt and other "nasties". So my question is: Is it better to leave this simply clean and dry (maybe a very light coat of oil) i.e. gun oil or such? Or better to grease the splines and the release mechanism? I am including a photo in case I am not calling the device by proper name. I think all the belly mower decks hook up similarly (some in front some at the rear).
I am starting to put this thing back together I can't afford to keep hiring someone to do my lawn :D
View attachment 80611

View attachment 80612
I lightly grease both male and female splines each year.

Reactions: 1 user