BX2370 won't restart after shutdown unless battery is jumped

slevys95

Equipment
B1750, BX2370/wmid60" deck,loader,brushhog,backblade,3pt rear snowblower
Sep 21, 2017
Western NYS
Question if anybody else has this problem or had it? Hadn't seen this particular problem on any threads unless I missed it. BX2370 won't restart after stopping without jumping battery. Battery is good, checked safeties, limit switches and connections. Battery is just draining while it's running it's not recharging. Probably could use service manual which I will order. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Put a voltmeter on the battery with it running, if it is below 13 volts repair the charging system. Charge the battery for ten hours then take to where it can be tested properly.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Put a volt meter on the battery terminals, not the clamps, when you try to start it and see if the voltage drops significantly. If so, you have a bad battery...

IF not, then you have a bad clamp connection at the terminals, since you are able to start the tractor with a jump, you thereby verify that everything beyond the clamps is functional.

This assumes you are putting the jumper cables on both battery terminal clamps...

Reactions: 1 user

slevys95

Equipment
Sep 21, 2017
Western NYS
Thanks guys, Did test battery as suggested. I even bought a new battery. Same scenario.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks guys, Did test battery as suggested. I even bought a new battery. Same scenario.
OK, something is not making sense. With a new battery, you still need to jump the tractor to get it started, and when you try to start the tractor, the voltage at the battery POSTS stays normal?

If this is the case, the only thing that can be questioned, I think, if what you are reporting is accurate, is the connection between the battery clamps and the battery posts.

You can verify whether this is a good connection or not, by putting one voltmeter probe on the battery post, and the other on the clamp, and trying to start the tractor. If you measure voltage across that point, you for some reason have a poor connection.

Do this twice, once for each terminal and report back...

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
OK, something is not making sense. With a new battery, you still need to jump the tractor to get it started, and when you try to start the tractor, the voltage at the battery POSTS stays normal?

If this is the case, the only thing that can be questioned, I think, if what you are reporting is accurate, is the connection between the battery clamps and the battery posts.

You can verify whether this is a good connection or not, by putting one voltmeter probe on the battery post, and the other on the clamp, and trying to start the tractor. If you measure voltage across that point, you for some reason have a poor connection.

Do this twice, once for each terminal and report back...
Also, put the probes on the battery post and what the cables are attached to, do each one separately.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Question if anybody else has this problem or had it? Hadn't seen this particular problem on any threads unless I missed it. BX2370 won't restart after stopping without jumping battery. Battery is good, checked safeties, limit switches and connections. Battery is just draining while it's running it's not recharging. Probably could use service manual which I will order. Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks
Download the BX2370 Workshop manual (service manual) by CLICKING HERE.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Also, put the probes on the battery post and what the cables are attached to, do each one separately.
Agree there is a possibility that the issue could be in the connection between the cable and the clamp itself. This could be somehow corrected when the jumper cables are connected to the battery terminal clamps.

it unlikely the issue is remote from that area, since jumping the tractor seems to work all the time. BUT it is also important to know where the jumper cables are connected when the tractor starts without issue. If one is on the positive battery terminal, and the other is on the frame somewhere this could lead to a different conclusion.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have a bad connection or cable, remove the connections on the battery or the starter and clean and reconnect, same with the battery side/
If the battery cables look odd or fat (swelled) up under the insulation it's a bad cable.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
It 'might' be that there' is enough corrosion build up on the inside surface of the cable 'clamps' to prevent high amps flowing to spin the starter. Clamping jumper cables on them, the power flows from 2nd battery to outside surface of the clamps, to cables....

Always best to 'drown them' with baking soda then use plumbers wire brush to 'shiny up' the inside of the clamps....

A picture might help us..... this one is a brain teaser....,one of those wish I was there to SEE what's going on....

Istrian

Equipment
Kubota GR2120
Mar 10, 2011
New Zealand
A long shot but are you sure the battery is installed correctly? I don't know your tractor but on my tractor the battery is installed with the negative terminal to ground (chassis). I had this problem some 60 years ago with my first car, a Model A Ford. Could not understand why the more I ran it the worse the battery would be. Turned out I had connected the battery the wrong way around.

slevys95

Equipment
Sep 21, 2017
Western NYS
Thanks guys, after a few days hiatus for birthdays and a wedding, finally got back to work. The folks at my local local Kubota dealer(Bentley Bros in Brockport NY) are gems. Printed out a schematic for me of electric system. Traced all the wires, education in itself, while tracing wires the boot on alternator came off with a broken connector inside boot . No connection was being made. Repaired wire put new crimp connector on wire and battery finally read 14 volts running on meter. So longer story longer, saved purchase of new alternator and repaired for 10 cent connector. Appreciate everyones input.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Follow Wolfman's advice. Thoroughly clean your terminals and battery posts. You may also need to clean the ground connection to the chassis. Re-assemble and coat with dielectric grease.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Some pics I forgot to post View attachment 80216
Glad you found it! One of those times if you had been able to do voltage drop testing you would have found that when checking for drop between the alt and the battery. Still a good result not buying the alternator before finding.

Bill

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks
I think your original post confirms that you very likely found the root issue. Makes total sense now...Thanks for the follow up.