BX2380 needs to hook up 12 volt, 7.0 amp to pull behind sprayer.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
Please be patient with me. I'm new at this.

I need some ideas on how to electrically hook up a 14 gallon sprayer built on its own trailer and provide 12 volts to the pump. Should I set up a connection from the BX2380 battery? I could use a deep cycle battery and mount it elsewhere with a wired in switch at the operator location. The pump calls for 7.0 amps.

When I've pulled it behind our ZTR mower I ran some wires and used lots of electrical tape and a switch. I'd like to make something neat and clean looking that is also safe.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
On the back of your BX ..........there should be TWO wires wrapped in tape, look left side facing rear, they will be tucked carefully away. This was true on the 70 series - I hope it is the same for 80 series.

Personally - unless your spraying all day long - a typical 12 external source would be ideal. That way it is completely self contained.

Reactions: 1 user

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
I don't see the 2 wires you referred to but the cigarette lighter outlet (not to be used for a cigarette lighter) will handle 120 watts which would be 10 amps at 12 volts. That's much better than I had thought it would handle. I could use that as a source.

I'd also like to have something that would handle a work light so I could use it for that too but not at the same time of course. I could build a little box with a plug for the lighter socket and some outlets to be my all purpose power source within its 10 amps limit.

I'm still open to more ideas and pictures would be nice.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
Excellent!!! The ends of the wires were very well wrapped to the outside of a flexible plastic wiring protector with blue tape. The wires have the same colors as described in the link you provided with connectors and lead nowhere so they must, I hope, be the ones. Thank you so much!!!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Cut the ends off and get a 2 wire connector. They are cheap and make life much easier.

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
I think 1 is hot all the time; other is tied to key switch. Only hot with key-on.
Yep, that's what the VOM showed last night after reading more about it on this site yesterday. I saw where one guy used the switched wire to activate a relay to connect the unswitched wire to the load.

- red/black-always-hot wire is a 20 amp line
- red/blue-hot-with-ignition-switch is a 10 amp line

Is it normal to switch a relay with a 10 amp line to provide 20 amps? Seems like the 20 amp line would be put on a switch to control higher powered stuff and the 10 amp line would control stuff you'd want to always turn on when the engine was running. Switches would be fine for 20 amps wouldn't they? I think of using a relay to control a starter or something drawing well beyond 20 amps.

Last edited:

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Better yet get get a 3 wire connector. Those bullet connectors suck imo. Something like this would make life much easier, and is waterproof.
Weather Pack 3 PIN Connectors 5 Sets 12-16 AWG used for cars, trucks, motorcycle, boat, trailer, marine, jetski (3 PIN) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076H88TYJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_5V3390KZMV6VS2XNPKXB
You can find the same thing with a short harness on both sides.
Yep, that's what the VOM showed last night after reading more about it on this site yesterday. I saw where one guy used the switched wire to activate a relay to connect the unswitched wire to the load.
Why? That makes no sense, unless the switched wire is much smaller gauge of wire then the unswitched wire. You are already provided a switched source. For the porpoise of a 7 amp load your talking 16 or 14 ga wire depending on length of run. So you gain nothing at all by adding a relay to the rear harness.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Better yet get get a 3 wire connector. Those bullet connectors suck imo. Something like this would make life much easier, and is waterproof.
Weather Pack 3 PIN Connectors 5 Sets 12-16 AWG used for cars, trucks, motorcycle, boat, trailer, marine, jetski (3 PIN) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076H88TYJ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_5V3390KZMV6VS2XNPKXB

Why? That makes no sense, unless the switched wire is much smaller gauge of wire then the unswitched wire. You are already provided a switched source. For the porpoise of a 7 amp load your talking 16 or 14 ga wire depending on length of run. So you gain nothing at all by adding a relay to the rear harness.
Why do it simply when complicated is so much more fun.

Dan

• Haha

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA

I updated my post with about the same question when you posted this. (Great minds?) Makes no sense to me either to add a relay. The two hot wires look like they're meant to provide options.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I updated my post with about the same question when you posted this. (Great minds?) Makes no sense to me either to add a relay. The two hot wires look like they're meant to provide options.
Yep, keep them open lol.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
Or add a junction strip, doesn’t need to be this big, so you will be set up for other electrical feeds you may want to ad.
1653353141976.jpeg

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Do NOT cut off the bullets ! Make a SIMPLE adapter. Take the 'car 'end of a trailer wiring harness and crimp on 3 bullets( gnd,hot, kyd). Connect and tape. NOW you can use the trailer part of the 'kit' to wire your sprayer. If the sprayer has a connector on it, then 'bulletize' the 'mate' to make the adapter.

Reactions: 1 users

pgmrdan

Aug 16, 2017
USA
Do NOT cut off the bullets ! Make a SIMPLE adapter. Take the 'car 'end of a trailer wiring harness and crimp on 3 bullets( gnd,hot, kyd). Connect and tape. NOW you can use the trailer part of the 'kit' to wire your sprayer. If the sprayer has a connector on it, then 'bulletize' the 'mate' to make the adapter.
Brilliant idea!

Thanks.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Now you've just added more points of failure then cutting off the garbage bullet connectors and using a standard readily water proof connector.