L1500DT Loader Question

KennyMillar

Equipment
L1500DT Tractor with Loader
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Hello everyone!
Please be gentle, it's my first time owning a tractor!
I've just bought an L1500DT with front loader. Really loving this machine. It's going to help me fix up a long driveway.

Is it normal that the loader only operates when the rear 3-Point Hitch is in the 'raise' position?

IMG_1628.jpeg

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The loader should operate regardless of the position of the three point lever. Has the loader ever operated correctly? If not it is possible the hydraulic lines are configured incorrectly.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello everyone!
I've just bought an L1500DT with front loader. Really loving this machine. It's going to help me fix up a long driveway.

Is it normal that the loader only operates when the rear 3-Point Hitch is in the 'raise' position?

View attachment 79678
I beleive that tractor is an over seas model similar to the L175. Post some pictures of the plumbing that connects the loader valve to the tractor. When I zoom on this picture it lookls like you have two steel lines going to the left rear with a ball valve in the circuit. That is a bit unusual :rolleyes: Pictures of where those two lines connect to the tractor would be helpful.

Dan

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks for the quick replies!
I don’t know if the loader ever worked properly :-(

Here are some pics of the hydraulic lines :
View attachment 79711
View attachment 79712
View attachment 79713
View attachment 79714
View attachment 79715
View attachment 79716
Thats quite a mess you have there. The loader only works when the lift is full up because it is being powered off the 3pt lift cylinder. The cylinder goes up, stalls, and you get pressure out the side port on the lowering speed valve. At least it works (y)

Can we do better? Maybe. How about another picture of the area just behind the connection to the lowering valve. Full profile of the area under the seat from lowering valve to rear of top cover. I am looking for something like this but shorter and without the pipes.

Edit: Never mind - I see from one of your other pictures there is nothing in that area. Not having a parts diagram for that tractor makes things difficult. How about a picture of the right side where the oil pipe from the pump comes to the rear.

BTW - where is that tractor located - outside the USA?

Dan

Last edited:

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
<snip>I see from one of your other pictures there is nothing in that area. Not having a parts diagram for that tractor makes things difficult. How about a picture of the right side where the oil pipe from the pump comes to the rear.

BTW - where is that tractor located - outside the USA?

Dan
Thank you again.
I'll get you some more pics tomorrow - it's dark here in Scotland, UK now :)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thank you again.
Thank you again.
Bear with me - I am not familiar with that tractor and I am slowly catching up. Looks like the nearest north american equivalent is the L175. So here is teh parts diagram for the pump oil delivery on it. How much of that matches up with your tractor and in particular the three items in the red boxes.

Dan

1652140268902.png

Reactions: 1 user

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Yes - from what I can see it looks like a L175DT.
It looks very similar to that drawing - except I don't see the box with parts 64,65,66,67 on my machine.
Here's some more pics that I took this morning...

IMG_1645.jpeg

So pump looks pretty similar. Bigger pipe goes rojnd the back of the pump and atatches at the top.
Smaller pipe attaches at the bottom of pump.

Then they run along the side of the transmission housing...
IMG_1646.jpeg

And attach below the seat...
IMG_1647.jpeg

The bigger pipe is at the bottom, near the brake lever.
The thinner pipe is at the top behind the hitch lever.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Yes - from what I can see it looks like a L175DT.
It looks very similar to that drawing - except I don't see the box with parts 64,65,66,67 on my machine.
Here's some more pics that I took this morning...

View attachment 79749
So pump looks pretty similar. Bigger pipe goes rojnd the back of the pump and atatches at the top.
Smaller pipe attaches at the bottom of pump.

Then they run along the side of the transmission housing...
View attachment 79750

And attach below the seat...
View attachment 79751
The bigger pipe is at the bottom, near the brake lever.
The thinner pipe is at the top behind the hitch lever.
Got it. Items 64, 65, 66, 67 in the parts diagram are the factory hydraulic outlet block that is used to connect external implements like a loader. It has two ports - one diverts the pump flow out to the implement and the other is the pressure return that continues to the 3pt. Your tractor does not have that block which complicates things a bit but is not a show stopper.

If you want to power the loader off the pump and eliminate the dependence on the 3pt you need to improvise an hydraulic outlet block connection. My suggestion is to remove the small pipe and replace it with two hoses. One hose connects the pump to your loader valve and the other hose connects the valve to the 3pt in the rear. The loader will then operate independent of the 3pt. You are going to need a new loader valve as well - not expensive and you can upgrade to a much nicer joystick style in the process. If that interests you we can talk about the details of the plumbing and parts.

Dan

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Dan
Thank you for the detailed replies. You're very kind and helpful.

If that interests you we can talk about the details of the plumbing and parts.
Most of the hoses on this tractor look like they could go at any moment, so I'm going to be doing some work on the hydraulics - I might as well make the improvement to the loader controls too!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan
Thank you for the detailed replies. You're very kind and helpful.

Most of the hoses on this tractor look like they could go at any moment, so I'm going to be doing some work on the hydraulics - I might as well make the improvement to the loader controls too!
The existing plumbing is definitely in need of some TLC. You can pretty much toss everything from tractor to valve and start fresh there.

First the valve. Here is a link to an eBay seller based in Poland. He sells the very popular P40 control valves. Nor sure who the OEM is but there is a major one in Bulgaria which would be my guess. The link will take you to his store and a 2 spool joystick valve with float on one spool. There are many other valves to choose from so browse around. You are not limited to just two spools. You can go with more id you anticipate a need for them.

Next - how to hook it up. Probably easiest is to remove the pressure pipe and cut the ends off leaving a short length of the tube attached to the flanges at each end. Then flare the tube and or install compression style threaded fittings for hose connections. Bolt the stubs back on the pump and 3pt and hook them to the new vakve with a couple hoses and you are good to go. If in doubt you can have a hydraulic shop do the tube work for you.

Your new valve will also have a third connection to the tractor. That is a tank return and it goes to that fitting on the top of the transmission. Hook it up just like the existing valve.

Thats it. Connect the work ports on the new valve to the cylinders and loader is plumbed in and ready to go to work.

Dan

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Thats it. Connect the work ports on the new valve to the cylinders and loader is plumbed in and ready to go to work.

Dan
Thanks for all your help.
I've a list of things to repair on this tractor and I'll follow your advice and fix up the hydraulics while I'm at it.
Thanks again!

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey KennyMillar,

Just for reference, that tractor shares 99% of the parts with the L175, but the L175 never came in a DT version, only 2 wheel drive, had to move up to the 185 I think, or maybe the 195 to get the DT.

While you are redoing everything, I think I would change how those hoses are hanging out on the side like that, it is a seriously dangerous situation should you ever get someplace and hook a hose and break a fitting off, high pressure very hot hydraulic fluid squirting all over you would not be fun.

Cheers
Samantha

Reactions: 1 users

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hello everyone!

View attachment 79678
Hey Kenny,

At least now I am no longer ashamed to show my 1500 on here, looks almost exactly the same but no FEL, lol, and we changed out the R&C tires for regular AG tires. That is one tough old tractor, it will take whatever you can throw at it and ask for more.

I wish I had the time and a decent shop to work in, I would strip mine down to the frame and give it a proper paint job, but that will have to wait for another day, sighs.

Congrats
Samantha

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Hi Samantha
Thanks - yeah those hydraulic lines are a bit scary in their present condition!

-K

Hey KennyMillar,

Just for reference, that tractor shares 99% of the parts with the L175, but the L175 never came in a DT version, only 2 wheel drive, had to move up to the 185 I think, or maybe the 195 to get the DT.

While you are redoing everything, I think I would change how those hoses are hanging out on the side like that, it is a seriously dangerous situation should you ever get someplace and hook a hose and break a fitting off, high pressure very hot hydraulic fluid squirting all over you would not be fun.

Cheers
Samantha

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Hey Kenny,

At least now I am no longer ashamed to show my 1500 on here, looks almost exactly the same but no FEL, lol, and we changed out the R&C tires for regular AG tires. That is one tough old tractor, it will take whatever you can throw at it and ask for more.

I wish I had the time and a decent shop to work in, I would strip mine down to the frame and give it a proper paint job, but that will have to wait for another day, sighs.

Congrats
Samantha
Yeah I'd love to give mine a full restore too, but I just became a grandparent last night!!!

• Love

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Kenny,

CONGRATS Grandpa, :)

That is always good to hear, and so now for the big one, boy or girl?

PICS PICS PICS, You know we have to have em, hehe

So happy For You!

Cheers
Samantha

KennyMillar

Equipment
May 9, 2022
Central Scotland
Hey Kenny,

CONGRATS Grandpa, :)

That is always good to hear, and so now for the big one, boy or girl?

PICS PICS PICS, You know we have to have em, hehe

So happy For You!

Cheers
Samantha
Thank you!
This is me and baby Elijah John Thottam
IMG_1678.jpeg

0de7bd59-4896-4ce2-b0b5-6b29ef47a207.jpg

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Ken,

AWWWWWW he is so adorable, I just want to kiss my monitor and pinch my mouse to get to those cheeks, lol.

Full head of hair to boot.

Even with the mask on I can still see Grandpa smiling ear to ear, but you Sir have a right to be proud right there, well done!

Yep a future Kubota owner in the making for sure, :).

Cheers
Samantha

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I had saved this info from an old post regarding hydraulics on old generation L series. I no longer recall who the poster was.

Perhaps it has info that might help. It is part #64.

Early L hydraulic block cover

Now is where I brag about Ronnie Bowman at Tractorsmart.com - a VERY helpful guy. I happened to have one of these adapters - but a friend is also putting a loader on a L345 so I wondered if the adapter is still available from Kubota. The original is discontinued but Ronnie kept digging until he found its functional equivalent - part No. 70050-00279 price $88.30. It is the key part for tapping into the internal hydraulics for these early '80s tractors - so it's worth it's weight in gold. So is Ronnie.

Dave