Contaminating Hydro Fluid

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
on this social media platform it seems it is generally agreed that what type of HST hydro fluid used is VERY important. Use Kubota hydro fluid in your HST is general consensus. Don't mix / don't contaminate.
Got me thinking about using attachments like my grapple on different machines (or for those who lend equipment same concern I guess).
So I use my grapple on a HST Kubota one day then another day say I use same grapple on my green tractor.

this mixes hydro fluid not only across the grapple but also across tractors. My back of cig. package farm yard math say on a 30l UDT in my orange I change out 1 1/2L of it each time with different brand when I use my grapple on my green or lend to someone else to use. So I am mixing fluid at rate of almost 5% every time I lend or change tractors

Should this bother a person?

(radius of hose and cyl multiply by 3.14 (Pi) multiply by the length of the hose calc's fluid in the hose/cyl)

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
No I wouldn't be bothered by it. Truth be told most of the hy-trans type fluid is compatible with each other. If you look up the specs for both tractors you'll find they basically call for the same thing. Then look at hy-guard and then sudt-2. You'll find they meet both manufacturers specs. It's really not an issue imo. And I rent/borrow quite a bit of different attachments, that have been hooked up to whatever other brands out there.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
on this social media platform it seems it is generally agreed that what type of HST hydro fluid used is VERY important. Use Kubota hydro fluid in your HST is general consensus. Don't mix / don't contaminate.
Got me thinking about using attachments like my grapple on different machines (or for those who lend equipment same concern I guess).
So I use my grapple on a HST Kubota one day then another day say I use same grapple on my green tractor.

this mixes hydro fluid not only across the grapple but also across tractors. My back of cig. package farm yard math say on a 30l UDT in my orange I change out 1 1/2L of it each time with different brand when I use my grapple on my green or lend to someone else to use. So I am mixing fluid at rate of almost 5% every time I lend or change tractors

(radius of hose and cyl multiply by 3.14 (Pi) multiply by the length of the hose calc's fluid in the hose/cyl)
If you think about what goes on with availability, and mixing, in nearly several hundred 3rd world countries, you will quickly come to the realization that we in the USA often needlessly obsess about such issues.

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
So I am mixing fluid at rate of almost 5% every time I lend or change tractors
Only the first time. The second time it is 4.75%, the third is 4.26%, etc. Assuming only 2 tractors, of course. Eventually you will arrive at a homogenous mixture.

Kubota does not make their own fluid, and the exact formulation varies by country. I suspect the same is true of JD. So it is entirely possible that JD fluid would work equally well and offer equivalent protection. It is less clear what happens to each fluid when they are mixed. It is even possible that what is fine in one country is a problem in other countries due to different formulations. I would be inclined to pick one fluid that meets both specifications -- be it JD, Kubota or a 3rd party -- and stick with that in both tractors. But I can't say I know of a specific reason they would interact with each other harmfully.

Loaning out things to neighbours is an entirely different kettle of fish. Who knows what bargain basement brand of "JD compatible" 303 spec oil is in that machine? Or when it was last changed? Kind of like an STD for tractors, but without the condom option. How well do you know and trust said neighbour? How many other partners does his tractor have?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Physically HyGard and UDT are essentially the same. HyGard Low Vis and SUDT2 are also pretty close to the same and both are designed for cold weather pumpability and with a high tolerance for water which is a big advantage over the older formulations. Lots of people would pick one or the other and use it in both machines to avoid mixing different additive packages which is probably the bigger concern.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don’t loan out high dollar equipment to others so I don’t have that problem. If I rent equipment…it is already powered and I don’t have a hyd fluid exchange-problem. (would you mix motor oils or any other vehicle/equipt fluids? I wouldn’t.)

As for my good neighbor, I usually go over and use my equipt to do his job…and he brings his Back Hoe over and does mine.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don’t loan out high dollar equipment to others so I don’t have that problem. If I rent equipment…it is already powered and I don’t have a hyd fluid exchange-problem. (would you mix motor oils or any other vehicle/equipt fluids? I wouldn’t.)

As for my good neighbor, I usually go over and use my equipt to do his job…and he brings his Back Hoe over and does mine.
The man owns both JD and Kubota machines. Not everyone is monochrome.

Dan

PS> I mix motor oils anytime the need arises. The Dodge truck just got a quart of BMW oil.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The man owns both JD and Kubota machines. Not everyone is monochrome.

Dan

PS> I mix motor oils anytime the need arises. The Dodge truck just got a quart of BMW oil.
If it’s a recent Dodge Truck it’s about 1/4 German anyway.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would settle for anything better than 13 MPG.

Dan
This in one reason I've been really happy with my GMC, 18.1MPG semi loaded (I haul about 2000lbs of tools around all the time) and fully loaded I get 15.5 MPG.
Just hauled an old heavy 30 foot camper for a family member over 2 passes and it still stayed right in the 15.5 range.
That beast felt like it wanted to pass me and lead the way every time the wind gusted.
I don't know how people tow those all the time???

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
This in one reason I've been really happy with my GMC, 18.1MPG semi loaded (I haul about 2000lbs of tools around all the time) and fully loaded I get 15.5 MPG.
Just hauled an old heavy 30 foot camper for a family member over 2 passes and it still stayed right in the 15.5 range.
That beast felt like it wanted to pass me and lead the way every time the wind gusted.
I don't know how people tow those all the time???
Well in defense of the Hemi I bought it used in 2009 with 60k on it. At that time I could get close to 20 on the highway. That was 100K ago and it still has the same spark plugs in it. A new set of 16 just might improve mileage :rolleyes: :unsure:

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well in defense of the Hemi I bought it used in 2009 with 60k on it. At that time I could get close to 20 on the highway. That was 100K ago and it still has the same spark plugs in it. A new set of 16 just might improve mileage :rolleyes: :unsure:

Dan
It could help!

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
So.......what kinda of 2 stroke oil is best........🤣

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

Dan
The manual recommends plug changes at 100K on my Ram… but when I pulled them and compared them to new plugs…. I reinstalled them for another 50K miles…. then changed all 16 plugs. No change in performance or gas mileage. Those expensive iridium plugs last a looong time.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The manual recommends plug changes at 100K on my Ram… but when I pulled them and compared them to new plugs…. I reinstalled them for another 50K miles…. then changed all 16 plugs. No change in performance or gas mileage. Those expensive iridium plugs last a looong time.
I am going to guess these are around 165k and still no missfires. I was going to change them a month ago but after looking at getting to the back ones I decided to leave that to the boys at the local garage. Old hands bleed if you just look at them hard.....

Dan

• Haha

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I am going to guess these are around 165k and still no missfires. I was going to change them a month ago but after looking at getting to the back ones I decided to leave that to the boys at the local garage. Old hands bleed if you just look at them hard.....

Dan
I hear that lol, although I suspect I'm a good bit younger..... when these newer trucks came out and they decided to burry the engines under the dash..... necessitates a colorful language till you get the back cylinders. Especially if you have a dodge or ford with a v10. Dint know what they were thinking.b

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Yep…and the spark plug ”well” in those Ram engines is “TIGHT”…. ordinary spark plug sockets won’t work…you need a really really REALLY SLIM socket. So I bought one the Ram Forum recommended for a stoopid high price… and the next time I tried to use it… IT DOESN’T FIT EIHER!
I had to machine the thing thinner anyway…no different than I’d already done to an ordinary plug socket.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Back to the original topic question, I regularly "swap spit" between the old JD and the Kubota with implement sharing. I do feel better knowing that neither are hydrostat..