Fuel additive

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I have been using Stanadyne Performance additive to protect against gelling. I have been using it year round. So far, so good. I am located in Rhode Island and we get periods of very high humidity and heat, and in the winter we will get single digit days. Good old New England, if you don't like the weather, wait awhile!

Should I be changing to a biocide in the spring? It there something on the market that works year round? I have looked, but can't find anything. Or, maybe it is not possible to combine both functions in one product?

Any thoughts?

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I think Power Service in the white bottle is good for gelling and bio. I use it and Seafoam in the 60 gallon generator tank and refuel tractor from it.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I think Power Service in the white bottle is good for gelling and bio. I use it and Seafoam in the 60 gallon generator tank and refuel tractor from it.
Thank you for the reply. I will look at the product you mentioned.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
I use the Power Service in white bottle as well in addition I throw in a few oz of ATF (anything I have on hand type not important). Not a lot. Maybe 2 or 3 oz in 5 to 6 gal of #2 fuel

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have been using Stanadyne Performance additive to protect against gelling. I have been using it year round. So far, so good. I am located in Rhode Island and we get periods of very high humidity and heat, and in the winter we will get single digit days. Good old New England, if you don't like the weather, wait awhile!

Should I be changing to a biocide in the spring? It there something on the market that works year round? I have looked, but can't find anything. Or, maybe it is not possible to combine both functions in one product?

Any thoughts?
I am 100+ miles East of you, and have used Stanadyne in diesels for 30+ years.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use this year around for a biocide. Also use a Power Service fuel additive as well. Silver bottle summer or white for winter.

only reason I use power service is it’s readily accessible locally.

Many folks here use stanadyne products as well. I just wanted to make sure I was also preventing microbial growth all year.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I use this year around for a biocide. Also use a Power Service fuel additive as well. Silver bottle summer or white for winter.

only reason I use power service is it’s readily accessible locally.

Many folks here use stanadyne products as well. I just wanted to make sure I was also preventing microbial growth all year.
View attachment 78739
Thank you for the reply

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
So you essentially are mixing Seafoam (which I also use) and Power Service? I am trying to not overdo it on the fuel additives, but I Seafoam does not have a Biocide so I believe I need to add that as well and wanted to make sure I can mix the two.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You are thinking correctly not to “overdo” additives. Your engine needs and wants FUEL….not snake oils.
If a “little“ addidive is good …a LOT is not better…but is harmful. Do not Overdose.

Read the label. Do not use “anti gel” in summer. Use a biocide ALL YEAR LONG.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Best defense against microbes is dry fuel, not an additive. I wouldn't use a biocide at every fill up. In a large storage tank, sure. But to add I every time to 10-50 gallons in my tank, no.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I use Power Service for gelling, Pri-D for microbes. Also use Pri-D to help store kerosene.