Lucky guy

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
WOW! I wear a hard hat but that video just got me looking for a helmet specific to tree work.

Thanks Matt.

Reactions: 1 users

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
WOW! I wear a hard hat but that video just got me looking for a helmet specific to tree work.

Thanks Matt.
35 years in the tree business, I strongly recommend Kask helmets. Saved my buddy's life. Not cheap, but...

Reactions: 2 users

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
May be faked but the message is the same. Wear your Personal Safety Equipment.

Reactions: 2 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Watching that brings back memories; posted this a while back:

Worked a summer of weekends logging for a small sawmill in Heber Az when I was a lot younger. Got pretty good at dropping trees exactly where I planned. One tree in my cutting area was exactly halfway between two other trees that were about 16 ft apart, and it had an obvious wicked twist in the trunk. Being a relative newb, I asked the old timer who owned the mill how to approach the cut. His advice was about what I would have done anyway, so I proceeded. What neither of us knew or could see, was that the tree had grown with it's branches touching the other trees, with a huge preload from the twist. Just as it began to fall, the tree hopped about 15" off to the side off it's stump, rotated 90 degrees, and dropped about 20" to the ground, all in about 1 second. I was clear when I started the cut, but the rotation brought a branch directly above my head, and when it dropped, it rang my bell & drove me to my knees. Thank god for hardhats. The tree didn't fall, & it took two of us about an hour to drop it. Been pretty leery of twisted trees ever since. :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
May be faked but the message is the same. Wear your Personal Safety Equipment.
Bingo.....

I've cut a LOT of wood in my day. Felled many trees.

Had two instances where I had PPE for chainsaw or logging work, but did not use them.

I skated by both times.

I don't want a third strike.....:oops: