Where do I check/add gear oil to my L2195A Snowblower?

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
This is definitely a stupid question concerning my new L2195 snowblower but I blame a terrible user manual for this implement. The manual calls for maintaining the gear oil in the gear box and reduction box but does not provide ANY information as to where to check the gear box oil nor where to add it. There are no labels or diagrams just the mention to do it. There is what looks like a plug on the top of the reduction box. Is this where I check/add the gear oil? Do I have to remove the reduction box to then also check/add the gear box oil? Also, the maintenance schedule suggests oiling the chain drive after every use with chain saw oil. Where is this done? Is there a reservoir for this or do you just lubricate manually? Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Weekender

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
There is a hole above the chain, so you can dribble some oil onto the chain using that hole if you have a steady hand. I use the styrofoam trays that they pack meat on after my wife washes them, to catch the excess oil, and then pour it back into the jug.
There is a vent at the top of the gearbox and that is where you fill from. At the bottom of the gearbox is an Allen head screw, and that is where you drain it from. In the middle of the gearbox, is another Allen head screw, and you take that one out to check the oil level. These Allen head screws are installed with Locktite and are extremely difficult to remove unless you warm them first with a heat gun. If this is the first season with the snowblower, it is factory-filled and is good till the spring when the weather gets warm, and you can do a drain and refill then. I use only Brad Penn GL4 80-90W gear oil since the gearbox has brass gears. Others here say to use GL5, but I and the local shop that services many brands of snowblowers have advised to only use GL4 gear oil. GL5 gear oil attacks the brass and will lead to gearbox failure. Some don't believe this, but I rather err on the side of knowledgeable people who service these types of gearboxes. A new gearbox is over $500, so why take the chance if GL 4 will work just as well as GL5?

Reactions: 1 user

Weekender

Equipment
Kubota L6060, LA1055 Loader, Bearcat CH-8540 chipper/shredder, L2195A snowblower
Dec 28, 2021
KubotaL6060%
There is a hole above the chain, so you can dribble some oil onto the chain using that hole if you have a steady hand. I use the styrofoam trays that they pack meat on after my wife washes them, to catch the excess oil, and then pour it back into the jug.
There is a vent at the top of the gearbox and that is where you fill from. At the bottom of the gearbox is an Allen head screw, and that is where you drain it from. In the middle of the gearbox, is another Allen head screw, and you take that one out to check the oil level. These Allen head screws are installed with Locktite and are extremely difficult to remove unless you warm them first with a heat gun. If this is the first season with the snowblower, it is factory-filled and is good till the spring when the weather gets warm, and you can do a drain and refill then. I use only Brad Penn GL4 80-90W gear oil since the gearbox has brass gears. Others here say to use GL5, but I and the local shop that services many brands of snowblowers have advised to only use GL4 gear oil. GL5 gear oil attacks the brass and will lead to gearbox failure. Some don't believe this, but I rather err on the side of knowledgeable people who service these types of gearboxes. A new gearbox is over $500, so why take the chance if GL 4 will work just as well as GL5?
Thanks a million! This is VERY helpful.
-Weekender