Steering brakes and snow plowing

bluestang

Equipment
B2650
Jan 11, 2021
BC Canada
I'm pretty new to this tractor thing so I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question. I have a B2650 with FEL and a 7 foot blade on the rear. I also have chains on the rear tires but not on the front. When I have the blade angled it wants to pull the front end of the tractor over to the windrow side. Is it ok to use the steering brakes to overcome this?

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
That's what they're for. One of the reasons why I'm going orange, because JD quit putting steering brakes on its lower hp tractors.

Reactions: 2 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm pretty new to this tractor thing so I'm hoping this isn't a stupid question. I have a B2650 with FEL and a 7 foot blade on the rear. I also have chains on the rear tires but not on the front. When I have the blade angled it wants to pull the front end of the tractor over to the windrow side. Is it ok to use the steering brakes to overcome this?
Yes.

Front chains will help also.

FWIW: A 7' blade is quite large for a 2650.

SDT

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I thought front chains were a nono?
Nothing is really a NO NO, just means you take your chances until something bad happens...the way I look at it anyway.

If you find any reason why chains on the front are an advantage to the long term reliability of your tractor, they certainly would not be a NO NO.

Myself, I will avoid using chains on the front. Just my common sense kicking in...right or wrong...

Edit: UNLESS I had a need that out weighed the risk of tractor damage. Then it would be time by time decision...

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
The steering brakes will certainly help, it's ok to use them for that, they're called steering brakes for a reason. They're all I use sometimes when using my front snow blower after I've lowered the blower down to scrape packed snow on the driveway or parking area and the front wheels lose contact.
I would also load up some gravel of something in the loader bucket for front ballast while grading so the front wheels get better traction for steering, too.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Been using both F & R chains in snow for decades with multiple tractors.

No issues. Cannot imagine why there would be.

SDT
You know, you read these things on various forums, and start to believe them because they are repeated so many times.

You may be perfectly correct, SDT.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
WHY…would it be a no-no to put chains on the front? (I never need chains at all so I guess I’m deprived of operational-experience with them.)

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
WHY…would it be a no-no to put chains on the front?...
{not from me...} but other people think that the front axle would be doing all the work since (with chains) the front tires have all the traction. Which puts (extra?) strain on the smaller axle (that should only be "assisting" - add extra traction when needed).

Me? I use the tractor like a tool. If I need that much traction, I'd chain up all four correctly (meaning buying spacers, if needed).

Reactions: 1 user

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
I'm still trying to figure out how to use the steering brakes on my L3301 HST without a cruise control. :unsure: ;)