Use of MX5400 in snow and $1500 option to protech the motor

badbrad

Equipment
Mx5400
Oct 6, 2021
I changed my order a little today and the dealer asked if I would be using this tractor in snow a lot. I told him no unless we get dumped on to the point I can't push it with the truck or I need the loader to push the banks back or move snow to make room. I asked him why. Apparently, he has been recently told from his Kubota Rep there is a now a $1500 option that (paraphasing) that if you get lots of snow dust it can get water in the emission or exhaust system and then freeze and cause problems. This option burns the moisture out.

He said it is worse in skid steers due to being so low to the ground.

For tractors, is this a new problem? Is this something to really be worried about or just a freak thing? Anyoine hear of this?

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
It is a crank case vent heater setup. It replaces the tubes with insulated tubes and installs an inline heater. This heater makes sure to melt any frozen moisture out of the vent lines. The system would only run under a certain temp much like glow plugs. The issue with the pcv lines being plugged, is the risk of blowing out oil seals...

badbrad

Equipment
Mx5400
Oct 6, 2021
It is a crank case vent heater setup. It replaces the tubes with insulated tubes and installs an inline heater. This heater makes sure to melt any frozen moisture out of the vent lines. The system would only run under a certain temp much like glow plugs. The issue with the pcv lines being plugged, is the risk of blowing out oil seals...

How does a person evaluate if they need to add this to your order or you don't need it? What parameters are in play?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
How does a person evaluate if they need to add this to your order or you don't need it? What parameters are in play?
IDK. I have plowed snow for 21 years with a compact tractor. Never experienced a problem.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Apparently, he has been recently told from his Kubota Rep there is a now a $1500 option that (paraphasing) that if you get lots of snow dust it can get water in the emission or exhaust system and then freeze and cause problems. This option burns the moisture out.
The snow up here is typically very dry and powdery so there's often an ice "mist" around the blower. I've been blowing snow with a BX25 and now an MX for six winters but I'll ask the local dealer if they've heard about this potential issue.

With the MX I'm running a rear blower so any "mist" generated is as far away from the intake as possible.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
If it's a personal use machine in a mild climate and you park in a heated garage you won't need the option.

If you use the machine commercially in -20oC weather and leave it parked outside all the time it's a good option.

badbrad

Equipment
Mx5400
Oct 6, 2021
If it's a personal use machine in a mild climate and you park in a heated garage you won't need the option.

If you use the machine commercially in -20oC weather and leave it parked outside all the time it's a good option.

What if you are somewhere in between ;)

Won't do much in winter but will do some. Cold climate. Parked in a unheated pole shed.

Is this something that could be added later if all of a sudden plans change and I want to move snow with the tractor.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
What if you are somewhere in between ;)

Won't do much in winter but will do some. Cold climate. Parked in a unheated pole shed.

Is this something that could be added later if all of a sudden plans change and I want to move snow with the tractor.
My tractors have spent their entire lives in an unheated barn and plow snow every year

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I asked the local dealer about the CCV heater kit for the MX tractors. It's shown with part number MX6813 and costs $524. Kubota mentions that the kit is potentially beneficial when temperatures are -12F or colder. We don't typically get that cold up here although I've experienced a few days over the last eight winters where temperatures have been -12F or colder. I can probably count them on one or at the most two hands.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I asked the local dealer about the CCV heater kit for the MX tractors. It's shown with part number MX6813 and costs $524. Kubota mentions that the kit is potentially beneficial when temperatures are -12F or colder. We don't typically get that cold up here although I've experienced a few days over the last eight winters where temperatures have been -12F or colder. I can probably count them on one or at the most two hands.
Keep in mind the prior quote probably included the upgraded alternator. The alternator upgrade is usually required with any heated option(glass, ccv).

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Keep in mind the prior quote probably included the upgraded alternator. The alternator upgrade is usually required with any heated option(glass, ccv).
I got the upgraded 130A alternator in my new MX and paid $440 for it. That said, the alternator kit plus the CCV kit plus installation could run $1,500 I suppose. The local dealer mentioned that they've never installed a CCV kit on a tractor.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I don't plan on even running my MX-6000 in the winter much less plow snow with it. The one dealer I was working with in the beginning of my tractor search said they order all there's in with the heater installed. I asked the dealer I ended up buying the MX-6000 from and he said he had never order one with the heater and no one had had a issue. Some one must be having issues or they wouldn't offer the heater.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you don't buy it you will need it someday, and if you do buy it, most likely you will never have a need for it. If the model changes next year, the kit will not be available soon thereafter. If you are flush with cash, then buy it, and if not, save the cash and put a wood-burning heater in the barn.