MX5400 or MX6000?

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I've looked fairly carefully online; the printed specs on these machines are identical other than HP ratings as far as I can tell.
Does anyone know for sure if the difference is only in the software or is there any mechanical difference between the machines (larger turbos, etc)?
I'm thinking of trading or selling my L4300 (45/37.5HP) purchased new in 2001 to get a little more power, width and weight. I will start a separate thread to ask for advice on that front.
This is my first post but have lurked off and on over the years. Luckily, my L4300 has been completely trouble free in its 490 hours of service.
Thanks, all.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
490 hours on a pre-emission, trouble-free tractor, assuming no dept and has performed well enough "over the years", I'd have to stay pat. But as always do as you feel is best.

Reactions: 2 users

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I'd keep what you have for all the reasons "Motion" mentioned. I don't think the jump up into the 5400-6000 series tractors would be much of an advantage if any. You would really need to jump into a M series to gain any real advantage over your current machine.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Keep that unit and buy an M series.

But to answer your question, I believe they are identical engines just the MX6000 has a hotter tune.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
Thanks, all good info. I don't have the space (or budget) for 2 tractors. I'll take another look at the Ms, but I thought they might be getting just a tad big for my intended uses. A guy I used to work with has an older MX that he's very happy with, which is part of what got me looking at them. It seems like the Tier 4 stuff has more or less worked itself out - or am I wrong?

I may well stand pat, but wanted to at least get pricing before incurring the expense in adding the rear hydraulics (which it looks like I'll need/really like for the no till).

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I've looked fairly carefully online; the printed specs on these machines are identical other than HP ratings as far as I can tell.
Does anyone know for sure if the difference is only in the software or is there any mechanical difference between the machines (larger turbos, etc)?
I'm thinking of trading or selling my L4300 (45/37.5HP) purchased new in 2001 to get a little more power, width and weight. I will start a separate thread to ask for advice on that front.
This is my first post but have lurked off and on over the years. Luckily, my L4300 has been completely trouble free in its 490 hours of service.
Thanks, all.
Other than the hp and cost differences, the MX5400 cab and ROPS models are available with gear shift and HST. The MX6000 is only available with the HST which is a pity. It would have been good to have the gear shift option for the MX6000.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
You don't say what you will be using the MX for, but the MX is a significant upgrade especially if doing loader work with wider front tires and stronger loader. It also allows you to use wheel weights with more offset and significantly larger/wider front tires.

I think you are right that there are minor differences from MX5400 vs MX6000. Emissions equipment doesn't like idling a lot especially in colder climates, so if you are doing that, stay with what you have. Otherwise, if you are running in the higher RPM range, the MX should be fine.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
You don't say what you will be using the MX for, but the MX is a significant upgrade especially if doing loader work with wider front tires and stronger loader. It also allows you to use wheel weights with more offset and significantly larger/wider front tires.

I think you are right that there are minor differences from MX5400 vs MX6000. Emissions equipment doesn't like idling a lot especially in colder climates, so if you are doing that, stay with what you have. Otherwise, if you are running in the higher RPM range, the MX should be fine.
Mainly planting and maintaining food plots, brush hogging and some loader work (moving dirt, lifting heavy things). We're in Ohio, so it gets cold but hardly have it out in winter unless I shoot a deer or have a fallen tree that has to be moved.

I like the relatively low COG and increased width - I had a Grand L cab for a short period but sold it after I realized it just wasn't stable enough for our hilly property.

I was also planning on moving back to an HST, but some here seem to prefer gear shift tractors? I thought the advantage of infinite speed control with cruise would be ideal. Am I missing something there?

And yes, it seems like it must just be the tune for the extra HP rating. At least I haven't found anything to indicate otherwise.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I'd keep what you have for all the reasons "Motion" mentioned. I don't think the jump up into the 5400-6000 series tractors would be much of an advantage if any. You would really need to jump into a M series to gain any real advantage over your current machine.
Nonsense, the lift capacity on the MX loader is significantly more than the standard L series loaders, and the larger wheel and more weight add stability.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Nonsense, the lift capacity on the MX loader is significantly more than the standard L series loaders, and the larger wheel and more weight add stability.

I guess I should have spelled out my reply a little better - You can get a M5660SUHD for almost the exact same price as the MX series tractors and it's head and shoulders above them in every way as far as loader lifting capacity stability and other standard features the MX doesn't come with.

Also the 3point lift on the older standard L series is practically the same as the MX if not the same in some cases. We owned a MX5800 for a couple years it will do what the specs say it will do but we sold it because it was just to light weight for most of the things we put it up against and decided to go with a "M" series which we probably should have gotten in the 1st place if we had we would have saved a good bit of money in the long run.

Live and learn I guess now when I get a chance to help someone make a decision on a larger tractor and they are looking at the MX I try to save them the disappointment in that series I ended up with. I will say at 1st I was pretty satisfied with it but after running it for awhile realized it just wasn't the machine I thought it was.

I hope the OP gets something that works out good for him and his needs. EDR

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I think the question the OP needs to answer for himself is whether or not an MX will be sufficient for " Mainly planting and maintaining food plots, brush hogging and some loader work (moving dirt, lifting heavy things). " and whether it's worth the cost of upgrading over what he has.

I know for a fact that the MX will be just fine for brush hogging, moving dirt and lifting 1,400lb bales stacked two high off a trailer. It'll move snow just fine, run a grapple and do a whole bunch of tasks with ease. I consider it a high end "home" tractor but if I were doing serious farm type work I'd be looking at the M5 or biggger.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I think the question the OP needs to answer for himself is whether or not an MX will be sufficient for " Mainly planting and maintaining food plots, brush hogging and some loader work (moving dirt, lifting heavy things). " and whether it's worth the cost of upgrading over what he has.

I know for a fact that the MX will be just fine for brush hogging, moving dirt and lifting 1,400lb bales stacked two high off a trailer. It'll move snow just fine, run a grapple and do a whole bunch of tasks with ease. I consider it a high end "home" tractor but if I were doing serious farm type work I'd be looking at the M5 or biggger.

I liked the MX we had it was just to light for us but what bugged me was that I should have spent more time researching the different models and their cost it pissed me off when I realized I could have gotten a entry level M series for the same price.

The thing I liked the best about the MX was it's hydro that's something you don't get in the Ms. I know the Ms transmissions are stronger for the utility type work they are designed for but I really liked that MXs Hydro when mowing.

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I started this process thinking I wanted to move to an HST, mainly because of the PIA when trying to move an inch or less with my GST while mounting implements. Then things snowballed. It's been a lot of fun wasting time researching and staying out of my wife's way though! And I thought most of the Tier 4 wrinkles had been worked out.

The no till drill I'm getting weighs 1400# empty, so any of these will work, including my 4300. Both the 4300 and MXs are rated at 2300# @ 24". My next heaviest implement is under 1000#.
The Ms may be getting a little big and heavy for my needs, but I am now looking into the M5660SU based on the comments here. Of course, back to no HST(!).

Thanks for all the comments. The MX6000 HST may be the best compromise for me, but I"m still trying to gather any helpful info and hints possible. I plan to keep it "forever".

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I guess I should have spelled out my reply a little better - You can get a M5660SUHD for almost the exact same price as the MX series tractors and it's head and shoulders above them in every way as far as loader lifting capacity stability and other standard features the MX doesn't come with.

Also the 3point lift on the older standard L series is practically the same as the MX if not the same in some cases. We owned a MX5800 for a couple years it will do what the specs say it will do but we sold it because it was just to light weight for most of the things we put it up against and decided to go with a "M" series which we probably should have gotten in the 1st place if we had we would have saved a good bit of money in the long run.

Live and learn I guess now when I get a chance to help someone make a decision on a larger tractor and they are looking at the MX I try to save them the disappointment in that series I ended up with. I will say at 1st I was pretty satisfied with it but after running it for awhile realized it just wasn't the machine I thought it was.

True, the M series is a more capable tractor for farm utility work than the MX, but the MX is also more capable than the L series. The OP was asking about the difference between MX and L series tractors.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
True, the M series is a more capable tractor for farm utility work than the MX, but the MX is also more capable than the L series. The OP was asking about the difference between MX and L series tractors.
I understand what the question was and was just pointing out the M5660 is the same price as the MX6000 so you get more bang for the buck nothing more. :)

Keadog

Equipment
MX 6000
Dec 22, 2021
Ohio
I understand what the question was and was just pointing out the M5660 is the same price as the MX6000 so you get more bang for the buck nothing more. :)
It might even end up a little less with the $2200 cash rebate, but no option for HST.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I started this process thinking I wanted to move to an HST, mainly because of the PIA when trying to move an inch or less with my GST while mounting implements. Then things snowballed. It's been a lot of fun wasting time researching and staying out of my wife's way though! And I thought most of the Tier 4 wrinkles had been worked out.

The no till drill I'm getting weighs 1400# empty, so any of these will work, including my 4300. Both the 4300 and MXs are rated at 2300# @ 24". My next heaviest implement is under 1000#.
The Ms may be getting a little big and heavy for my needs, but I am now looking into the M5660SU based on the comments here. Of course, back to no HST(!).

Thanks for all the comments. The MX6000 HST may be the best compromise for me, but I"m still trying to gather any helpful info and hints possible. I plan to keep it "forever".

The MX series HST is really a nice feature. If you decide to get one you'll like it.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
It might even end up a little less with the $2200 cash rebate, but no option for HST.

Also something to keep in mind is the M comes with a rear remote standard and it has a power lift setting on the loader which give it a lot more lift capacity than the MX series tractors.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
And no option for a cab either. If the M5660SU came with a cab option it would have been on my short list.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day fellow buckeye(I hope a buckeye anyway). MX is an awesome machine. Jump up to an M is another big step…may want to consider implements you have and how they work with something as a large as an M. If no workee so well the. Plan to buy those again. I suspect an M could wad a small implement up pretty easy if you hook on something.