Which to buy L2501 or L3301

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Can any one advise me on a 24.8hp or a 33 hp ( L2501 to a L3301)? Does the DPF have issues on the L3301? Is the L2501 under powered?
The only difference between these tractors in terms of operation that is significant is pto HP. You will need to consider what you plan to do with the pto to make this decision. The loaders operate the same on both machines.

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Having owned a L2501, I would doubt that the differences offered by the L3301 would be that noticeable. My 2501 did fine with a 60" brush hog. There were a couple of occasions where I bogged down the engine - but the same would have likely happened with the 3301 as I attribute them more to operator error (rookie mistakes) than HP limitations. The big advantage of the 2501 is no DPF worries and you can putt it around when you want to. With the DPF machines, your best bet is to pretty much always keep the RPMs up - even when the task at hand could be addressed at a lower RPM - and many of them can!
The tractors with DPF have the advantage of not sniffing diesel soot for hours while working.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Wonder no longer … many of us have trucks that had DPF issues.

I personally spent a few thousand just on emissions. Also, it was a PITA that I was in the middle of nowhere, hours walking from a town, in rolling mtns, when it decided it didn’t want to regen on one trip. Everything was fine until it wasn’t. Unless I really, really need a diesel with DPF, I don’t see owning another diesel vehicle with one. Since we don’t have the option of gasoline, I’m not doing DPF without a monstrous increase in power.

I feel the software that controls regens needs a lot of work. Owners, should always have the option to force a regen. I can’t why forcing a regen is a bad thing. From what I understand, that was the B3350 issue as well.
I used to get sinus headaches with my old tractor after using it awhile (diesel soot). My new MX with DPF has eliminated that problem. It’s nice to breathe cleaner air, especially with long hours of seat time.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I used to get sinus headaches with my old tractor after using it awhile (diesel soot). My new MX with DPF has eliminated that problem. It’s nice to breathe cleaner air, especially with long hours of seat time.
After several months using the new L3901 I fired up my old B7200 to move a load of firewood. The face full of black diesel smoke and fumes was a stark reminder of how much nicer it is to operate a clean(er) diesel. I would not want to go back.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
After several months using the new L3901 I fired up my old B7200 to move a load of firewood. The face full of black diesel smoke and fumes was a stark reminder of how much nicer it is to operate a clean(er) diesel. I would not want to go back.

Dan
The exhaust of my 2006 L48TLB is directed downward.
I have no issue with exhaust odor, and I will never need to join a troublesome stage IV discussion.

Reactions: 1 user