Chain Choice for B2630

Erik Graham

Equipment
B2630, LA 403, RCK60-30B, L2550 GST
Nov 30, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Greetings all,
Have decided to invest in a set of rear chains for my B2630- practically new R-4's with Brotek rear spacers. Have settled on the DuoGrip H pattern from Canadian Chains after watching a couple of videos and reading some reviews. Where I am stuck (sorry-unintended humour) is whether I should spend the extra $200 for the V bar version. I'll be using tractor to plow road in which is basically a dirt track and might be skidding some logs and using tractor and grapple for loading logs onto mill in fairly flat field. I have a 900 lb rear ballast that would be mounted when not using the rear blade. Chains are a major investment, just not sure if the extra $200 would be money well spent. Any and all insights appreciated. Cheers, Erik

Here's a link to the web page for the chains. https://www.canadianchains.ca/Large-Tractor_c_15.html

Attachments

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Man where do they get these prices for chains? I just dont see $750 there! Sheesh!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Greetings all,
Have decided to invest in a set of rear chains for my B2630- practically new R-4's with Brotek rear spacers. Have settled on the DuoGrip H pattern from Canadian Chains after watching a couple of videos and reading some reviews. Where I am stuck (sorry-unintended humour) is whether I should spend the extra $200 for the V bar version. I'll be using tractor to plow road in which is basically a dirt track and might be skidding some logs and using tractor and grapple for loading logs onto mill in fairly flat field. I have a 900 lb rear ballast that would be mounted when not using the rear blade. Chains are a major investment, just not sure if the extra $200 would be money well spent. Any and all insights appreciated. Cheers, Erik

Here's a link to the web page for the chains. https://www.canadianchains.ca/Large-Tractor_c_15.html
I think you chose the right style chains for the R4 tires. My ladder chains with R4 tires mostly fall between the tire lugs.

Prices are what prices are. Even simple ladder chains are expensive these days.

Whether the extra bucks would be beneficial or not, I do not know. But what I do know, that if you do not spend it, you will never get whatever advantage that $200 might have gotten you. Once you buy your chains you will not buy again. Trust me...

Edit: It is claimed that chains on the front of a compact tractor can be detrimental to the longevity of the front drive train. Put them on at your own risk. No way for me to know if those claims are valid or not. But I would not do it myself.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Greetings all,

I have been looking at chains for my new l3901 but they will have to wait until I add spacers - with R4s there just isnt enough fender clearance without them.

The DuoGrip (field chain) design puts a lot of chain to work and is what I am looking to buy. I have a variant of that design on an old Ford and they are very effective but ride on hard surfaces is definitely not "smooth".

The extra $180 for the vee bar is probably a marginal increase in bite (no personal experience) but not a huge investment in the long run. I would be very tempted.

If those prices include shipping its not a bad deal.

Dan

Erik Graham

Equipment
B2630, LA 403, RCK60-30B, L2550 GST
Nov 30, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I have been looking at chains for my new l3901 but they will have to wait until I add spacers - with R4s there just isnt enough fender clearance without them.

The DuoGrip (field chain) design puts a lot of chain to work and is what I am looking to buy. I have a variant of that design on an old Ford and they are very effective but ride on hard surfaces is definitely not "smooth".

The extra $180 for the vee bar is probably a marginal increase in bite (no personal experience) but not a huge investment in the long run. I would be very tempted.

If those prices include shipping its not a bad deal.

Dan
So, yes, shipping is included in price. Leaning towards the V grip option a bit more. Sort of the mind that if I spread that cost over the lifetime of the tires/tractor it sort of takes the bite out of the extra cost. I won't be using the tractor on any paved surface but will be using in the woods and I have noticed that many actual skidders use pretty aggressive chains. I don't think you'll regret installing spacers when you get to that, has made a significant difference to my machine. Thanks, Erik

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
Where the V-bar chain will shine is on hard glare ice. In my experience, even a twist chain will struggle to bite under those conditions where the points of the V-bar will dig into the surface. Not sure where you are, but we can get some nasty ice storms here in New England where you need all the grip you can get. If you can afford the additional cost, I'd say definitely get them. If nothing else, they will add even more weight to the rear wheels.

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
Greetings all,

I am exactly where you are with my b2620. Its helpless in the snow as is, so I pretty much park it and use my farm tractor all winter. But I finally decided to get chains this year so I can get around if I need the bucket. I have settled on Duo-Grips and no way would invest in the extra cost for the v Grips. As someone already said, they would help on glare ice, but I am not willing to spend the extra $ for that.

I really wanted double ring chains like my big tractor has, but they don't make them in that small of a size.

Tim

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
Greetings all,

If you have not purchased yet, check out Tire Chains Required at https://www.tirechainsrequired.com/pages/contact-tire-chains-required. I was going to order from another site, but I found these guys at the last minute. With shipping my chains were just under $400. The other site price kept going up as a watched and debated, and ended up just under $600 (with shipping "free"). So i saved just about $200. On the down-side, the chains were much too long and I had to buy a set of chain pliers to basically rebuild them. But I have a feeling that would be the case from most sites. So guess I saved $100 after buying the pliers.

Tim