Friendly PSA - Treat Your Fuel, Cold Weather is Here

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Since I darn near forgot I figured I would toss out a friendly PSA.

I need to fill up my fuel cans which reminded me to put in some winter additive as I doubt I will blow through those gallons before freezing temps hit.

The thing I did forget was the fuel currently in the tractor is untreated still.....something to think about.

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I just did that, but thanks. It doesn’t hurt to think about it.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We did two Saturdays ago, trying to make sure we didn't forget to do it in dad's tractors (mine is treated every tank, he is a little less diligent).

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Isn’t it treated at the pump? Not sure where you are located, but New Jersey doesn’t get that cold.

FreezinGator

Equipment
BX1500 LA181 FEL 48MMM Back blade
Jul 10, 2020
Upstate NY
I use the Stanadyne performance formula so I treat it year round. I am sure I don't use as much diesel as some of you do so it isn't a big deal for me. I do the same with all the gas I use for the push mower, snowblower , etc. I treat it when I fill up the fuel can.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
Here we have 2 seasons, Winter and Getting Ready for Winter. Another post I said I bought some Howes additive, I normally use Power Service White.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Isn’t it treated at the pump? Not sure where you are located, but New Jersey doesn’t get that cold.
In my area, they don't start treating the fuel at the pump till November. So, if you buy fuel before then and don't use it (have it stored in fuel tanks), then you have to treat it yourself. I believe they switch back to summer blend at the end of March.

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
In my area, they don't start treating the fuel at the pump till November. So, if you buy fuel before then and don't use it (have it stored in fuel tanks), then you have to treat it yourself. I believe they switch back to summer blend at the end of March.
Exactly. I'm also never 100% certain how they treat the "off-road" diesel that I buy.....I "assume" it is treated but I have always added additional treatment to be sure.

I also wanted to make the point to think about the fuel already in the tractor during this shoulder season if you aren't burning a ton each week it is easy to have a decent amount of untreated IN the fuel system and tank regardless of how much you treat stored fuel.

Like I said....simple PSA......if everyone is good to go that is outstanding, if the reminder keeps one dude from a gel mess even better.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Good point. And the fuel in these things seem to last forever lol thanks for the heads up 💪🏻

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Each year in Oct I take a small ”mason” jar and put some of my stored off-road diesel in it and stick it in the freezer.

Last year it turned to slush so I treated the fuel as I added it to the tractor. (Being lucky enough to live in central Texas where freezing temps rarely occur longer than a few days…and even then….it’s a very rare day indeed when the temp is below 15-degrees F where diesel gels. Even then, the equipment is stored inside where the temp will not get that low.)
It‘s usually a warmer day when I actually do anything on the tractor. The point being that I’m not a ”real” farmer and if it’s freezing outside I’m usually inside,… so I don’t try to run my equipment enough to require the storage tank to be treated… at most all I need is the fuel in the. equipment itself to be treated….and that can be done during re-fueling.

I don’t know for certain… but in my imagination the lower lubricity claimed for ULSD would be further affected adversely by unneeded anti-gel-additives… so I avoid it.

It’s worked-out so-far. You guys “Up Nawth” are who really have the need I think. “Up Nawth” can certainly apply to Atlanta and surrounds tho’. I used to spend a lot of time over there and DAMM it gets cold over there! My ex-BIL and his buddies used to snow-ski behind a pickup on the 285 Loop! :ROFLMAO:
Rick was a funny funny guy….and I MISS him! (Don’t miss the ex tho’….). LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I'm new to tractors and diesel fuel. I'm in KY so I'm guessing this applies to me. What should I add to my two 5 gallon cans of fuel in the barn and to my tractor? I don't plan to use the tractor much over the winter - it's open station, but you never know when it might be needed. I do know it's good to keep the tractor's tank full. Thanks from a noobie.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Each year in Oct I take a small ”mason” jar and put some of my stored off-road diesel in it and stick it in the freezer.

Last year it turned to slush so I treated the fuel as I added it to the tractor. (Being lucky enough to live in central Texas where freezing temps rarely occur longer than a few days…and even then….it’s a very rare day indeed when the temp is below 15-degrees F where diesel gels. Even then, the equipment is stored inside where the temp will not get that low.)
It‘s usually a warmer day when I actually do anything on the tractor. The point being that I’m not a ”real” farmer and if it’s freezing outside I’m usually inside,… so I don’t try to run my equipment enough to require the storage tank to be treated… at most all I need is the fuel in the. equipment itself to be treated….and that can be done during re-fueling.

I don’t know for certain… but in my imagination the lower lubricity claimed for ULSD would be further affected adversely by unneeded anti-gel-additives… so I avoid it.

It’s worked-out so-far. You guys “Up Nawth” are who really have the need I think. “Up Nawth” can certainly apply to Atlanta and surrounds tho’. I used to spend a lot of time over there and DAMM it gets cold over there! My ex-BIL and his buddies used to snow-ski behind a pickup on the 285 Loop! :ROFLMAO:
Rick was a funny funny guy….and I MISS him! (Don’t miss the ex tho’….). LOL
Funny how that works,
My ex BIL and I are great together.
My ex wife....not so much....
In fact, even 24 years after the divorce,....NEVER!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm new to tractors and diesel fuel. I'm in KY so I'm guessing this applies to me. What should I add to my two 5 gallon cans of fuel in the barn and to my tractor? I don't plan to use the tractor much over the winter - it's open station, but you never know when it might be needed. I do know it's good to keep the tractor's tank full. Thanks from a noobie.
You will find everyone has his/her favorite brand of additive, kind like soda, beer, etc.

Power Service, Howes, Stabil, are just some of the major brands. Your goal during the winter months is to add an additive that lowers the gelling point of the diesel fuel.

Here are a few samples:

AmazonSmile: STA-BIL Diesel All-Season - Anti-Gel - Cetane Boost - Cleans And Lubricates Fuel System - Water Demulsification - Treats 150 Gallons -Effective In All Diesel And Bio-Diesel, 20 fl. oz. (15226) : Automotive

AmazonSmile: Howes Diesel Treat, Diesel Conditioner and Anti-gel - 6/64oz bottles : Automotive

AmazonSmile: Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (32 oz.) : Automotive

You don't have to buy any of the ones listed above, they are just examples of what you are looking for.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Since I darn near forgot I figured I would toss out a friendly PSA.

I need to fill up my fuel cans which reminded me to put in some winter additive as I doubt I will blow through those gallons before freezing temps hit.

The thing I did forget was the fuel currently in the tractor is untreated still.....something to think about.
I found a partial bottle of diesel fuel additive in my barn that is over 5 years old. Use or toss?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
It is if you buy fuel during the winter season. But most of us still have gallons of fuel that was purchased during the warm season.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
1. Diesel freezes/gels. If the diesel in your tractor gels, then it won't run until it warms up. If you can't start it, it's hard to warm it up. So you want to make sure that doesn't happen, and you have to prepare before it's actually cold

2. Fuel you buy may be treated. You can assume, or you can check

3. Fuel you store from summer probably isn't treated

4. You need to treat fuel in storage, plus fuel in the tractor. Easiest way is to treat your stored fuel early, run your tractor nearly dry, then refill with treated fuel. Failing that, add to tractor tank, but then importantly run it long enough for it to flow through into the injectors etc

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
1. Diesel freezes/gels. If the diesel in your tractor gels, then it won't run until it warms up. If you can't start it, it's hard to warm it up. So you want to make sure that doesn't happen, and you have to prepare before it's actually cold

2. Fuel you buy may be treated. You can assume, or you can check

3. Fuel you store from summer probably isn't treated

4. You need to treat fuel in storage, plus fuel in the tractor. Easiest way is to treat your stored fuel early, run your tractor nearly dry, then refill with treated fuel. Failing that, add to tractor tank, but then importantly run it long enough for it to flow through into the injectors etc
If the temperature doesn’t get down below 15-deg F…then the diesel fuel will not have a problem with gelling. And as for Item 4… it may not be necessary (or advisable even) to treat stored fuel that will not be used until next summer anyway …. because depending upon which anti-gel additive you choose to use…it may reduce the lubricity of your Low-Suifur-diesel.
It should be obvious it’s only necessary to treat fuel you intend to use in REALLY cold weather…. and that May be only the fuel in your parked tractor if you don’t regularly use the tractor during winter…and not even then if it doesn’t get as cold as 15 or less.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I found a partial bottle of diesel fuel additive in my barn that is over 5 years old. Use or toss?
I would toss. For the cost of a new fresh bottle, in my book, it isn't worth the risk of using the old bottle and having fuel issues.