Rodents / mice / chipmunks

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
I think this might fall under preventative maintenance. I'll be parking my tractor in a lean-to shed. What are folks doing to help prevent rodents of any sort from nesting, chewing on wires, or generally reeking havoc on their tractor? Can anything be done?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I think this might fall under preventative maintenance. I'll be parking my tractor in a lean-to shed. What are folks doing to help prevent rodents of any sort from nesting, chewing on wires, or generally reeking havoc on their tractor? Can anything be done?
Cat.

Dan

Reactions: 5 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Leave the hood open, put a ¼" mesh screen over the air filter inlet, TomCat mouse poison bait stations around the perimeter of the shelter, keep weeds and brush trimmed to the ground 20' all the way around the structure. Cats will pi$$ on your equipment.

Reactions: 4 users

woodsy

Equipment
95 Kubota L3300DT W/FEL, 60" AgroTrend 3pt snow blower89 Arctic Cat 440 Panther
Apr 20, 2021
Maine
Bounce dryer sheets. Put one or two sheets in the likely nest site or compartment. Refresh once or twice a year or as needed.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I always keep D-Don in my pole barns. Never any issues.

Put moth balls in cabs.

SDT

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The only thing for which I’ve found moth-balls useful….is moths. (and they are harmful to people especially children). Cedar chips work just as well against moths but might be used for nesting for rodents.

If you do continue to use moth balls, choose a brand that contains paradichlorobenzene instead of naphthalene because it is less harmful.

Male cats pizz on everything…females don’t.…but they might use upholstery for a scratching post.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I keep tomcat bait block stations everywhere in the barn and outside. This keeps the mice population low. For squirrels keep the hoods open on parked vehicles. That deters them from nesting in the engine compartment.

Reactions: 1 users

Norman

Equipment
LX2610HSD;LA535;LP 60" grapple; WC68 chipper; GB60 SW cutter
Sep 30, 2021
Georgia, USA
Thanks for all the great input. I’ll be sure to apply many of the suggestions. Need to stay away from poison though, I don’t want my dog to accidentally get some. No small kids or cats around so at least I don’t have to deal with that.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't know if you have an electrical outlet but I bought some inexpensive ultrasonic noise emitters for my shack in the country 2 years ago and it has made a big difference. I was skeptical initially but they have really proven their worth. My issue has been birds pooping all over my tractor and items "stored" in the barn . I can live with that.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don't know if you have an electrical outlet but I bought some inexpensive ultrasonic noise emitters for my shack in the country 2 years ago and it has made a big difference. I was skeptical initially but they have really proven their worth. My issue has been birds pooping all over my tractor and items "stored" in the barn . I can live with that.
A cat can take care of that also. Rubber snakes sometimes help.
I can tell you that plastic owls do not work. My wife and I were sitting in our garden admiring our work when we heard a big ruckus over to our right…. where the plastic owl sat on the fence overlooking the garden…. It had a 2” hole in it’s base for the moulding/manufacturing process…. and a bird suddenly flew out of the hollow owl… where the nest was located. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Thanks for all the great input. I’ll be sure to apply many of the suggestions. Need to stay away from poison though, I don’t want my dog to accidentally get some. No small kids or cats around so at least I don’t have to deal with that.
Go to tractor supply and buy a tomcat bait station. The bait is enclosed in a lockable box that is child and pet proof. The access holes are mouse-sized. This is the only effective long term solution for mice.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The absolute best way (and this works in fully infested areas as well) to eliminate this problem.

RUN IT!

Reactions: 2 users

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Get some peppermint oil - dilute a bit with some water - and then spray, spray, SPRAY anything that looks even remotely chewable.

Had a critter get up under hood of my truck and chew 1/4 the way through the main engine wiring harness. It took me 2-3 days to put it all back together. And then i found the peppermint. I now religiously spray down the engine compartment wiring about once a week.

Oh! They also found the wiring that goes to my outdoor AC compressor. Woke up one morning and it was like 80° in the house. All of that wiring is now enclosed in steel sheathing....and I still spray it down with peppermint.

They are RELENTLESS!

Last edited:

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the other thing about poison are predators. Mouse eats poison and runs off. Owl eats mouse and gets poisoned. Then it dies, and a buzzard eats on the dead owl. It gets poisoned too. You get the idea.

People up the road got into a pickle a number of years ago; they had same issue and someone found a dead bald eagle a half mile or so away, with no apparent wounds. Fish and game people took the bird and found rat poison had killed it after it ate a poisoned rat. The owners of the place got a good sermon about it. They were using poison to control the mouse/rat population and in doing so were also controlling the predatory animal population without them even knowing about it.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
the other thing about poison are predators. Mouse eats poison and runs off. Owl eats mouse and gets poisoned. Then it dies, and a buzzard eats on the dead owl. It gets poisoned too. You get the idea.

People up the road got into a pickle a number of years ago; they had same issue and someone found a dead bald eagle a half mile or so away, with no apparent wounds. Fish and game people took the bird and found rat poison had killed it after it ate a poisoned rat. The owners of the place got a good sermon about it. They were using poison to control the mouse/rat population and in doing so were also controlling the predatory animal population without them even knowing about it.
That is true with strychnine bait. Most mouse baits are warfarin, a blood thinner used for humans also. The amount needed to affect a predator is far greater than the amount needed to kill a mouse. Tomcat mouse blocks are warfarin, not strychnine.