M-series 2-speed MWFD: how does it "know" when to switch?

Gb540

Jan 9, 2021
Central US
Looking into a more recent M-series, and one of the features is a two-speed for the front axle. Guess it switches itself to a higher speed when turning for a tighter turning radius.

Question is: how does the system "know" when to switch?

Looked at the parts illustrations, found the clutch packs but didn't see anything that senses steering angle. Wondering what makes the system work.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Looking into a more recent M-series, and one of the features is a two-speed for the front axle. Guess it switches itself to a higher speed when turning for a tighter turning radius.

Looked at the parts illustrations, found the clutch packs but didn't see anything that senses steering angle. Wondering what makes the system work.
It is activated by a switch at the top of the left kingpin on the front axle

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Didn't know that Kubota still offered Bi-Speed Turn.

I have it on my 1994 B1750HSD.

Mechanical linkage connects steering arm to gearbox shifting to Hi when steering within 30% of full lock.

SDT

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Didn't know that Kubota still offered Bi-Speed Turn.

I have it on my 1994 B1750HSD.

Mechanical linkage connects steering arm to gearbox shifting to Hi when steering within 30% of full lock.

SDT
It is on the Kubota built power shift tractors