Can you swap out the 1/4 inching valve?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Can you swap out the quarter inching valve for position control valve?
As previously mentioned, many things can be done if one has enough money and/or time, but this is not something that can be done cost effectively.

SDT

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I have to say 'yes' as it CAN be done, though we don't know how deep your pockets are.
Depending on the way the hydraulics are designed it could be kinda easy

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I have to say 'yes' as it CAN be done, though we don't know how deep your pockets are.
Depending on the way the hydraulics are designed it could be kinda easy
If Kubota had a similar model that has position control it would be easier. The BX style transaxle has never incorporated any type of PC. By substituting an external valve with feedback from the TPH linkage it could be done ( I once did it on a PowerKing tractor that I had) Room to install it would be a major problem!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I agree! It isn't! I don't know why I thought it was a BX but even a B7800 would require a lot of expensive parts to convert.
The B7800 was claimed to be the same tractor as the B2910, without the bells and whistles. I have a B2910 with position control.

I would expect parts to be available to add position control to the B7800, in place of the current quarter inching valve, without having to reengineer anything, but, as stated by others, Kubota parts are not cheap.

I assume the OP was referring to the B7800 since that is the tractor he shows as currently owning.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
to the original question, yes it can..though he doesn't post which tractor or his wallet size.
3PH position control is a simple 2In1Out servo system,that any electrical or mechanical engineer out of university or college can design and build. Even a good tech can do it,BTDT, using a linear actuator($100) with internal sensor, a pot of operator 'desired position' and $20 worth of electronics. Code was less than 30 lines,accurate to 1/10th of an inch over 24" of travel, better than what the client wanted.
What isn't posted in the question ,though assumed, is he wants a 'bolt on - OEM' replacement.
I don't assume that, I just replied to what was asked... 'can it be done'.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
It is not what he is asking for, but would it not be simpler to install some sort of fixed marked index rod on the actual 3pt arms. - much like a bucket level indicator. As you raise and lower the arms, you would see the indicator rod move up and down the scale. You would not be able to select position 5 for example, but you would be able to inch up or down to reach position 5 as you watch the rod. It would make your positioning repeatable.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
to the original question, yes it can..though he doesn't post which tractor or his wallet size.
3PH position control is a simple 2In1Out servo system,that any electrical or mechanical engineer out of university or college can design and build. Even a good tech can do it,BTDT, using a linear actuator($100) with internal sensor, a pot of operator 'desired position' and $20 worth of electronics. Code was less than 30 lines,accurate to 1/10th of an inch over 24" of travel, better than what the client wanted.
What isn't posted in the question ,though assumed, is he wants a 'bolt on - OEM' replacement.
That would likely be the easiest. An Ardunio nano and a couple of pots and a servo and away you go! Wouldn't be that hard to give it draft control either!

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
It is not what he is asking for, but would it not be simpler to install some sort of fixed marked index rod on the actual 3pt arms. - much like a bucket level indicator. As you raise and lower the arms, you would see the indicator rod move up and down the scale. You would not be able to select position 5 for example, but you would be able to inch up or down to reach position 5 as you watch the rod. It would make your positioning repeatable.
I may try to make something like that for my BX. An indicator could be added into the slot where the optional hydraulic remotes handles go. The indicator would be moved by a cable attached to the 3-point rocker arm.

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I may try to make something like that for my BX. An indicator could be added into the slot where the optional hydraulic remotes handles go. The indicator would be moved by a cable attached to the 3-point rocker arm.
If you do it; patent it. If you sell it, it is customary to pay a 10% finder's fee or idea fee. :):)

Good luck.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Just something to look into

The B7200 came in multiple configurations. One included a position control hydraulic lift.

My 2WD HST B7200 does not have this feature, but I have thought to check the dismantle outlets and see if it's worth the trouble.

I have noted that the B7800 has a hydraulic flow control and priority valve that is useful for fitting power steering to a B7200. From that I gather there is some commonality between the 7200 and 7800 tractors. I could be all wrong though.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada

want to build one? i will let you install it and use my 23s as the test bed.. haha

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
want to build one? i will let you install it and use my 23s as the test bed.. haha
I have position control on my b2910. Frankly, I don't think I ever used it intentionally. I always just set the height of the 3PH visually. I suppose I may be missing out somehow, but never noticed it in 19 years...

Probably just me...

KbotaL185DT

Equipment
Kubota L185DT (sold),Kubota B7800, LA402, 5 foot Bush Hog Squealer
May 29, 2020
Rangeley, Maine
Sorry it’s been so long yes it’s on the B7800. I do a lot of bush hogging and like to go to that same point every time. The 1/4inching valve is much more difficult. With the motor revving so high when making fine adjustments the down is very controlled but lifting isn’t. You touch up and it shoots up causing the bush hog to bounce and slap.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Sorry it’s been so long yes it’s on the B7800. I do a lot of bush hogging and like to go to that same point every time. The 1/4inching valve is much more difficult. With the motor revving so high when making fine adjustments the down is very controlled but lifting isn’t. You touch up and it shoots up causing the bush hog to bounce and slap.
Install a set of limiter chains as many do with 9/2N Ford tractors, which also do not have position control.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I still have 2 sets of original Ford 'stay straps' for some unknown reason. Used to 'set and forget' when running a bushhog. Unlike chains, they FIX the hog a set distance and do not allow it to bounce up.