Momentarily losing a function

KbotaL185DT

Equipment
Kubota L185DT (sold),Kubota B7800, LA402, 5 foot Bush Hog Squealer
May 29, 2020
Rangeley, Maine
Today while doing some loader work I lost use of my bucket down function. All other functions preformed as they should but the down function went really slow. After about 30 seconds of this it kicked out of it and worked just fine. Any thoughts? Maybe an air pocket? This happened once before as well.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Today while doing some loader work I lost use of my bucket down function. All other functions preformed as they should but the down function went really slow. After about 30 seconds of this it kicked out of it and worked just fine. Any thoughts? Maybe an air pocket? This happened once before as well.
I am just spitballing here but have you checked your hydraulic fluid level? If the fluid level is low it often causes loss of function or erratic operation. One other thing to check is how old your fluid is. Old worn out fluid can also cause erratic operation.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Check your quick connects and fluid level. Not that it matters but when you say bucket down do you mean the the arms or the dump function.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
I have had this happen with a lot of weight on the 3 point. If I let down the 3 point it works as normal. I just assumed it was a pressure thing.

KbotaL185DT

Equipment
May 29, 2020
Rangeley, Maine
I have found the issue while box blading the other day. If the quarter inching valve is in the up pressure or down pressure location it will cause the one way down function to slow down for whatever reason.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
I have found the issue while box blading the other day. If the quarter inching valve is in the up pressure or down pressure location it will cause the one way down function to slow down for whatever reason.
I'm not sure if this your issue, but it sounds like your 3 point is out of adjustment. Raise your (unloaded) 3 point hitch all the way to the top. Then try to lift the 3 point by hand. You should be able to lift the 3 point about half an inch. If you can't lift it, you could be dead heading your cylinder which causes the problem you are describing. It is a simple adjustment. You want the 3 point to stop lifting before the cylinder bottoms out.

The thing that seams odd though is normally this issue only arises when the 3 point is fully lifted and out of adjustment. I haven't heard of this happening when the 3 point is lowered all the way.

One other thing to do is listen to the engine. Does the rpm drop slightly when you fully raise or lower the 3 point? If so, it means there is a strain on the engine, potentially from the cylinder bottoming out.

Rusty Rooster

Equipment
M5 111, L3010, SVL 90-2
Aug 2, 2021
MD EASTERN SHORE
What "Hope to float" said. If I run the three point on my l3010 to the extreme up position it will affect my Fel functions

KbotaL185DT

Equipment
May 29, 2020
Rangeley, Maine
I'm not sure if this your issue, but it sounds like your 3 point is out of adjustment. Raise your (unloaded) 3 point hitch all the way to the top. Then try to lift the 3 point by hand. You should be able to lift the 3 point about half an inch. If you can't lift it, you could be dead heading your cylinder which causes the problem you are describing. It is a simple adjustment. You want the 3 point to stop lifting before the cylinder bottoms out.

The thing that seams odd though is normally this issue only arises when the 3 point is fully lifted and out of adjustment. I haven't heard of this happening when the 3 point is lowered all the way.

One other thing to do is listen to the engine. Does the rpm drop slightly when you fully raise or lower the 3 point? If so, it means there is a strain on the engine, potentially from the cylinder bottoming out.
The problem is I have the quarter inching valve vs the positioning valve so if the lever is down then the hydraulic pump is still working thus causing the loss of pressure and the loader down function running slow. As soon as I move the quarter inching valve back to the neutral position I regain all normal functions.