Let's Talk About Rock.....Literally...

River19

Equipment
B2601, RB1560, BB1260 and BX2830 blower
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
So I have a few project areas on my NH property that I need stone/rock etc. of various sizes to complete.

What I am finding is that no one refers to rock or stone by the same name so when I call a stone place and ask for rock for a drainage ditch in the 2-4" range they for some reason think I am talking about crusher stone and that I don't know what I am talking about.

I have crusher stone for my "tractor road" that I need more of, and I use that to firm up some areas of my 500' driveway but for the drainage projects I need a few loads of that heavy 2-4" stuff that will prevent erosion while allowing water to drain efficiently through my culverts.

What the heck should I be asking for?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Washed rock" of whatever size you need. It will have no dust in it so it won't settle and pack in when wet.

Reactions: 1 user

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
"Washed rock" of whatever size you need. It will have no dust in it so it won't settle and pack in when wet.
What he said, gravel for roads for example would be described as 3/4 down or 1/4 down, the down describing the pulverized dust in it still. You're after the rock without, described as clean.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
What I am finding is that no one refers to rock or stone by the same name so when I call a stone place and ask for rock for a drainage ditch in the 2-4" range they for some reason think I am talking about crusher stone and that I don't know what I am talking about.
This is the most frustrating thing EVER!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
This is the most frustrating thing EVER! In my professional line of work, I can travel all over the globe, and X = X because of standardized phraseology and terminology, an international standard. Then at home, 3 local quarries call something 3 different names. Or the same aggregate name but different variations of the product itself. Drives me nuts!
Yup. I was about to order some rock the other day and asked for 3/4-1" crusher rock "For a driveway" and I asked them to shoot me over a picture of what they were talking about delivering......it was like clean white river rock that would turn my snow blower into an assault weapon. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
3/4" stone is exactly that, only 3/4 inch stones nothing else really. Its best for drainage situations and its more expensive because its more refined.

3/4" gravel has 3/4" stone PLUS fines which are smaller sized stones and dust etc. This helps it compact better. Its used for driveways.

Im putting in a driveway extension in a wettish area. I bought 3/4" stone to make some french drains and i bought some 4" gravel to make a driveway base. Ill top the 4" gravel with some 3/4" gravel so the big rocks dont slice my tires.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Rip Rap here. Visit local quarry learn what they call their products.
20150524_094112.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
So I have a few project areas on my NH property that I need stone/rock etc. of various sizes to complete.

I have crusher stone for my "tractor road" that I need more of, and I use that to firm up some areas of my 500' driveway but for the drainage projects I need a few loads of that heavy 2-4" stuff that will prevent erosion while allowing water to drain efficiently through my culverts.

Here, your stone specification would be called "Number 3's" or #3

The other stone listed by others above would be locally known as:

2A modified = crusher run, paver base
2B clean = 3/4" clean washed (drainage stone)
1B clean = 1/2" fine clean washed (drainage stone)

as stated above, check with quarries as to what identifications they are using...another source would be your state highway construction division or any landscape supply place.

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
In NH it will be called rip-rap or erosion control stone. A 6" minus.

Some people will call crushed stone gravel up here for some reason.

In NH you will find "bank run gravel" with various max stone size. It will be right out of the bank and generally speaking the stone will be round.

Then there is processed gravel where you get the crushing with the stone. This will be offered in another max stone size. Generally speaking processed will have sharp edge stone.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
In NH it will be called rip-rap or erosion control stone. A 6" minus.

Some people will call crushed stone gravel up here for some reason.

In NH you will find "bank run gravel" with various max stone size. It will be right out of the bank and generally speaking the stone will be round.

Then there is processed gravel where you get the crushing with the stone. This will be offered in another max stone size. Generally speaking processed will have sharp edge stone.

Appreciate the local NH terminology.

Now the next question will be if I will beat the crap out of the B2601 handling "rip-rap" myself......?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Appreciate the local NH terminology.

Now the next question will be if I will beat the crap out of the B2601 handling "rip-rap" myself......?
hell yeah the B2601 is gonna eat rip rap for breakfast, get on it!

• Haha

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Terminology will often vary from provider to provider. There may be some classifications that may be adopted at a local or state level and used as a standard across a region. NH will have both stone quarries where stone is blasted and crushed and also gravel pits where gravel is mined, screened and crushed as well.
As mentioned best to talk to your local pit or quarry and tell them what you are doing and what you want. The will either give you what you want or make a recommendation on what you need.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
When I spread rip-rap, I had 2 tractors (BX2370, Ford4000). The BX had trouble scooping it, had to dig under rock to get it. The Ford (3-4x weight, 2x hp) set bucket level and power into pile.

You may need a toothbar for bucket and make tractor heavier (filled tires and/or ballast) for the traction needed to force rocks into bucket.

The B2601 can do the job, don't forget to use the beverage holder :cool:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
X2 on the toothbar. Makes it much easier to get into a pile of larger stone.

River19

Equipment
Sep 10, 2020
NH/VT NEK
Thanks for mentioning the toot bar. I was wondering.......the baked bucket worked fine for crusher stone but I was thinking it would kinda stink for larger piles of rock and would come out beaten to crap.

Looks like a toothbar is on the list........ :) Plus it will help with some digging chores.....

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Usually when you want stone here in NH you ask for either crushed stone or bank run screened stone. Crushed is obviously stone made to whatever size by crushing larger stone, bank run screened stone is obtained by running dirt through a screen to screen out only the stone and to a certain size. Bank run stone will be more round than the sharp edge crushed. Each has it’s uses depending upon what you are doing.