BX1850 steering crazy-crazy crud

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Bit the bullet and plunked down the $270 for a new steering cylinder. Another $45 for a hydraulic hose and some fluid. Plus, another $35 for rubber boots that don't shred at the first site of a dandelion. Put it all together, did a little bleeding - and then took her for the first mow post surgery.

In no time flat, the front wheels were thrashing about with every little bump. Headed back to the shop, jacked it up....and BOTH of the holder brackets were completely bent out of whack. Being old, (and forgetful!) I immediately checked the 4 bolts that secure the holder brackets - and they were on there good and tight.

So how the heck does the cylinder jump out of the holder brackets? I am at a loss to even hazard as guess. And i am way past aggravated of putting even more money into a problem that should have been resolved by Kubota. These steering cylinders are KNOWN manufacturing defects - and Kubota stuck their customers with the bill.

HELP!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
if the cylinder don't fit perfectly tight in the brackets they'll bend. If they're bent outward (away from the cylinder) swap sides with them, and when you tighten em up they'll preload the cylinder a little.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
They are hugely bent - say probably 45° out of line from the bolt holes!

The left holder bracket has a piece welded to it that fits around the hydraulic line connect point - and it won't fit on the other side. There are definite left and right pieces.

I though about hammering them out - but I will order two new ones just to CMA. I will have to fully remove the cylinder and unscrew the tie rod ends to the old ones off / new ones on.....and I hope I don't rip the new boots (after market)(VERY thick rubber!) popping the ball joints out.

Still - I am lost as to how or why the cylinder popped out of those brackets.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
And so the mystery is solved.

I went back to the IPB and just kept looking it over and over and over......and then - there they were! A pair (one on each end) of circ retention clips. Somehow i had it in my head that these were "built in" to the new cylinder. I have no idea how or why i thought that...but I did!

I went dredged the old cylinder out of the trash heap and there, caked under 40 pounds of gunk and grease - completely obscured to the eye - were the two rings.

From there i took myself outside and started kicking my own butt all around the yard...down the street...over a hill...and back again. I kicked it until i hollered "UNCLE!"

Now i can go to sleep without this haunting me.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
😅 😂 :LOL: 😅

As FRUSTRATING as it certainly MUST BE.... NETXTOWN.... Your writing-style is Fun to Read.

Thanks for the levity. (Sorry for the trouble.).

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
We learn our best lessons through the mistakes we make. I think we have all been there did that. Dont beat yourself up!

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
BTW what machine was this? Edit I just noticed it in the title. Need more coffee!:rolleyes:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
From there i took myself outside and started kicking my own butt all around the yard...down the street...over a hill...and back again. I kicked it until i hollered "UNCLE!"
You must still be a youngster...

...as you get older you learn to call "Uncle!" MUCH sooner! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Well.....it ain't over until the fat lady gets off my tractor!

Went to order new brackets. KubotaUSA shows to have 1 each in the warehouse.....which has a high probability of being inventory ghosts. Thankfully, Zimmerer Kubota opened up a shop about 10 miles up the road - and their parts guy is absolutely top notch. He's already told me if those two pieces are just ghosts - he will forward a list of dealerships that do show inventory....and i can take it from there.

That said, it does 'worry' me that Kubota doesn't seem to be stocking parts for this critter much anymore. Finding the steering cylinder was 4 or 5 flaming hoops to jump through. The BX1850d model is 2006 - and at 15 years I suspect getting parts is going to get more and more difficult.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
You must still be a youngster...

...as you get older you learn to call "Uncle!" MUCH sooner! :ROFLMAO:
I had to match the punishment with the ding-dong stupid bonehead error. And now that the repair parts may be a fleeting memory - i may have to take another butt kick go round. Without those brackets - my tractor will be dead.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The steering cylinder (#K2063-16500) is used on every model of the BX series from BX1500 to BX2680 & BX23S. It is pretty easy to get as they keep them in all of the warehouses.
The brackets are used on BX 50, 60, & 70 series, so they will be readily available for many years in the future.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
The steering cylinder (#K2063-16500) is used on every model of the BX series from BX1500 to BX2680 & BX23S. It is pretty easy to get as they keep them in all of the warehouses.
The brackets are used on BX 50, 60, & 70 series, so they will be readily available for many years in the future.

As for the brackets, the main kubota warehouse here in Texas had exactly 1 of each. And of the dealerships I checked (Coleman, Messicks, etc) no one had any stock. The cylinders are currently on backorder at Kubota. I got mine from a dealership in North Carolina that just happened to have one on the shelf.

Apart from parts - I am now second guessing myself on everything with this repair. I removed the two retainer clip/springs from the old cylinder and am wondering if it matters in what position they go back on the new cylinder. Of course, they will fit in the grove - but the clips are kinda oval with one side actually wider (not thicker) than the others. Does it need to be put in place in some kind of alignment with the bracket?

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
As for the brackets, the main kubota warehouse here in Texas had exactly 1 of each. And of the dealerships I checked (Coleman, Messicks, etc) no one had any stock. The cylinders are currently on backorder at Kubota. I got mine from a dealership in North Carolina that just happened to have one on the shelf.

Apart from parts - I am now second guessing myself on everything with this repair. I removed the two retainer clip/springs from the old cylinder and am wondering if it matters in what position they go back on the new cylinder. Of course, they will fit in the grove - but the clips are kinda oval with one side actually wider (not thicker) than the others. Does it need to be put in place in some kind of alignment with the bracket?
No special alinement of the clip opening needed, But if you look at the Clips, there will be a flat side (sharp edge) and a rounded side, put the flat side away from the bracket, so flats towards the inside of the cylinder, it's not 100 critical, but in some cases the rounded side can pop out of the slot.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
Thank you for the install tips for the clips. I would never have guessed it would matter! I did notice that each of the clips has a lightly worn side that I am guess rubbed on the holder brackets. I will now check the edges as you described.

And thank you again!

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
And, it lives once again. Used the angle-iron-wheel-hub-measure-method to adjust the alignment. And with that, thanks to everyone who helped push this project over the finish line. After fighting that steering wheel for so long - it's nice to turn the wheels and it goes - and it stays going!