Egr delete

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The answer that you will receive is that no one has done that on this forum. That act is illegal at the Federal level and encouraging and/or admitting to an illegal act on the forum would be against the forum policy and not the smartest move one could make.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The Law
Section 203(a)(3) of the CAA makes it unlawful for: “(A) any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under [Title II ofthe CAA] prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and distribution to the ultimate purchaser;
or (B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the region or segment is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this subchapter, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use.” 15.
EPA may assess a civil penalty of up to $3,750 for each applicable CAA violation that occurred between December 6, 2013, and November 2, 2015, and up to $4,527 for each applicable CAA violation that occurred after November 2, 2015 and assessed on or after January 15, 2017 in accordance with Section 205(a) of the CAA, 42 U.S.C. § 7524(a), and 40 C.F.R. Part 19.

What the EPA has started doing is going after the companies that have made/sold the kits and fining them, butting some of them out of business. In addition they are requiring them to turn over customer list. Currently, the EPA has only targeted the manufactures/sellers of such kits.

EPA launches crackdown on emissions defeat device makers | Hemmings

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it has been done

it is not legal

one I know of, was done out of the USA so they had to haul it a few thousand miles and have it done, paid the guy a grand or 3 (or whatever it was?), haul it back home then try to find someone to work on it once it had other problems because a USA kubota dealer cannot touch it per agreement. Or they're not supposed to anyway. I go by the rules, I dunno about yall.

Time its all said and done, potentially thousands of dollars later, I'd sure have considered trading to something different and more reliable. Might be cheaper.

yes the b3350 has had it's issues. My question is, has anyone tried a class action? Anyone attempted any legal actions? Seems to me that if the resale value/trade in value is down because of the many reported issues, there could be some legalities to deal with? I dunno?

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Seems like the only way to legally “delete” DPF is delete your whole tractor (sell it), get a pre-emission tractor, and keep fixing and rebuilding as needed to keep it running. That may not be ideal but it’s a lot simpler mechanically and legally than trying to delete the DPF on a tractor with OEM DPF. You may take a bath financially depending on the equipment involved but your looking at either an impossibility or a hard hit financially (most likely a practical impossibility) if you try to delete an emissions diesel.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
It's done all the time by diesel pickup enthusiasts, so it's probably not difficult for someone who knows diesels, but messing with the EPA is not a smart move.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
it has been done

it is not legal

one I know of, was done out of the USA so they had to haul it a few thousand miles and have it done, paid the guy a grand or 3 (or whatever it was?), haul it back home then try to find someone to work on it once it had other problems because a USA kubota dealer cannot touch it per agreement. Or they're not supposed to anyway. I go by the rules, I dunno about yall.

Time its all said and done, potentially thousands of dollars later, I'd sure have considered trading to something different and more reliable. Might be cheaper.

yes the b3350 has had it's issues. My question is, has anyone tried a class action? Anyone attempted any legal actions? Seems to me that if the resale value/trade in value is down because of the many reported issues, there could be some legalities to deal with? I dunno?
The class action issue comes up just about every time that the B3350 is discussed, and I have explained why this will not happen multiple times.

Individuals do not create class action law suits. Rather, lawyers do, and there is simply not enough money involved here to make it worth the while of tort attorneys.

Do not expect this to happen in this case.

SDT, who is also an attorney

Reactions: 1 users

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
One big reason pre emission tractors sell for more. In my opinion it's why owners don't want to trade up.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It's done all the time by diesel pickup enthusiasts, so it's probably not difficult for someone who knows diesels, but messing with the EPA is not a smart move.
Seems like the biggest issue with say, a Kubota tractor engine, is it requires messing with (i.e. “tuning”) the ECU so it doesn’t freak when the DPF is sitting in the scrap pile where they can’t communicate. Tuning software for the diesel pickups isn’t exactly difficult to source. Maybe software for tuning the ECU on a Kubota or other tractor engine isn’t difficult to source either but for dummies like me, I wouldn’t know where to start trying to source the software to make the DPFless ECU happy. If the 3350 is all mechanical such that it doesn’t have an ECU, would likely be a much less daunting project.

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Seems like the biggest issue with say, a Kubota tractor engine, is it requires messing with (i.e. “tuning”) the ECU so it doesn’t freak when the DPF is sitting in the scrap pile where they can’t communicate. Tuning software for the diesel pickups isn’t exactly difficult to source. Maybe software for tuning the ECU on a Kubota or other tractor engine isn’t difficult to source either but for dummies like me, I wouldn’t know where to start trying to source the software to make the DPFless ECU happy. If the 3350 is all mechanical such that it doesn’t have an ECU, would likely be a much less daunting project.
The B3350 has mechanical injection but it does have an ECM.

SDT

802Driver

Equipment
LX2610SU 60" Bucket Land Pride54" Box Blade Farm King 4572 Rear Blade
May 18, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
It would be supply and demand. If there were trouble with break-downs across the board, then the demand for after-market tuners may occur. But you don't hear of many tractors having operating issues with the exception of the B3350 with the DPF intact. I doubt it would cost "thousands" to create a tune to delete the DPF and make it run well (minus the pollution). Alarms are still going off since items are un-plugged, a software re-write simply cancels them out and maybe fine tunes air/fuel mixture. Not a lot going on a tractor. My point, is it legal? No. Is it possible to delete? Yes, anything is possible.

Until I have a reason to need anything more than 26hp, I'll stay with DPF'less tractor for simplicity and reliability.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
It would be supply and demand. If there were trouble with break-downs across the board, then the demand for after-market tuners may occur. But you don't hear of many tractors having operating issues with the exception of the B3350 with the DPF intact. I doubt it would cost "thousands" to create a tune to delete the DPF and make it run well (minus the pollution). Alarms are still going off since items are un-plugged, a software re-write simply cancels them out and maybe fine tunes air/fuel mixture. Not a lot going on a tractor. My point, is it legal? No. Is it possible to delete? Yes, anything is possible.

Until I have a reason to need anything more than 26hp, I'll stay with DPF'less tractor for simplicity and reliability.
Agree; specifically with the supply and demand statement. B3350 has problems so there would be some demand from B3350 owners but that’s a small subset of tractor owners. Most models, the DPF regen is an occasional annoyance if timing of regen is inconvenient which is a lot less problematic than breaking Federal law and having a tractor that no dealer will touch, potentially decreasing value by narrowing resale market by reducing potential buyer pool to like minded individuals who don’t mind ignoring the law and never having the option to involve a dealer in maintenance or repair. Cost/benefit and risk/reward analysis just doesn’t make sense for the vast majority of Tier 4 owners so the demand for delete isn’t there and neither is supply.

If I owned a 3350 that gave continual problems, I’d be pretty ill about the situation. Thankfully, I’m not in that group.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This thread comes up over and over again.
Everyone remain civil and it will stay up.

This is a rather hot bed of a conversation, because there is no legal remedy to the issue.
If you have one, you either need to find a work around or your stuck paying stupid amounts of money to a dealer to try and "fix it" and it only will eventually rear it's head again and sometimes in another fashion.

If I remember right SDT ( forgive me if it wasn't you) has done the most to keep his running, had to have the top end rebuilt? due to bad / leaking valve guides / seals?

If I owned one of these problem children, I would be employing the work around to make it run properly and get my moneys worth out of it, but I also would be advertising the fact that I did it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The Law

EPA may assess a civil penalty of up to $3,750 for each applicable CAA violation that occurred between December 6, 2013, and November 2, 2015, and up to $4,527 for each applicable CAA violation that occurred after November 2, 2015 and assessed on or after January 15, 2017 in accordance with Section 205(a) of the CAA, 42 U.S.C. § 7524(a), and 40 C.F.R. Part 19.

What the EPA has started doing is going after the companies that have made/sold the kits and fining them, butting some of them out of business. In addition they are requiring them to turn over customer list. Currently, the EPA has only targeted the manufactures/sellers of such kits.

EPA launches crackdown on emissions defeat device makers | Hemmings
Where does that law apply..??( Canada?) ...and..... WHERE and HOW does it define “motor vehicle”...?? I would not ordinarily consider a tractor or stationary engine a “motor vehicle”.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Where does that law apply..??( Canada?) ...and..... WHERE and HOW does it define “motor vehicle”...?? I would not ordinarily consider a tractor or stationary engine a “motor vehicle”.
It is a US law (Clean Air Act) it would not apply in Canada. It doesn't mean that Canada hasn't adopted a similar law, but EPA has been charged with enforcing US environmental laws.

Emission Standards for Farm Equipment - Engines
Additional Compliance Information
Stationary internal combustion engines use pistons that alternatively move back and forth to convert pressure into rotating motion. Many types of stationary engines exist and are found on farms, including diesel engines, spark ignited engines, and reciprocating internal combustion engines. Air quality requirements vary for stationary engines, depending on whether the engine is new or existing, where the engine is located, and what type of ignition system is used.
A video for farmers about the air quality requirements for stationary engines is available from EPA's Air Pollution Training Institute. To navigate to the video, choose "LEARN," then "Stationary Sources," and then "Launch Course."

Improvements for Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Test Procedures - Final Rulemaking | Regulations for Emissions from Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

Regulations for Emissions from Nonroad Vehicles and Engines | Regulations for Emissions from Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

Regulations for Emissions from Heavy Equipment with Compression-Ignition (Diesel) Engines | Regulations for Emissions from Vehicles and Engines | US EPA

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I don’t need a bunch of links to a myriad of laws that don’t address the question “What constitutes a motor vehicle”... I only want to know if that law previously quoted defined the term.

Also, I notice that the law states “...prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and distribution to the ultimate purchaser;”

Directly copied from the EPA Federal Register:

Does This Action Apply To Me?
This action may affect you if you produce or import new diesel engines which are intended for use in nonroad vehicles or equipment, such as agricultural and construction equipment, or if you produce or import such nonroad vehicles or equipment. It may also affect you if you convert nonroad vehicles or equipment, or the engines used in them, to use alternative fuels. It may also affect you if you produce, import, distribute, or sell nonroad diesel fuel....”

I am the Owner. I am the “ultimate purchaser”. It is mine and I am not selling it for anyone else, and I am not working on anyone elses. I use it only on my own property. I will do whatever it takes to make MY equipment do it’s job for ME.

Last edited: