Advice needed

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello everyone, I have been looking for a used Kubota tractor to use primarily for mowing about 2 acres of mostly open yard once per week here near Pittsburgh PA. I also have about 10 large dying trees that a loader would be handy although not really necessary in dealing with. If it ever snows again the loader might be useful also. In addition I plan on planting a large garden next year so a tiller may be in my future. In my usual hillbilly attempt to buy a dollars worth of assets for 70 cents I have come upon a potential candidate. A L3240 with mower, loader, with 600 hours not far from me. You may witness its beauty on eBay. My question and I know this is more tractor than needed- Is this a stupid idea? I would leave the loader off most of the time. Thank you all in advance for your help.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Ok, what would it cost ? While 32HP tractor is 'overkill' as a lawnmower... the loader would be handy,though better if it was 'SSQA' version and not the 4 pins version. Size of mower deck ? if 54-60" it might be worthwhile, but pictures are needed.
One way to get the 'link', goto ebay, find it, place mouse on the URL( www........), press CTRL C. then goto here 'reply', press control V...the 'link' should appear, then 'post reply'.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello everyone, I have been looking for a used Kubota tractor to use primarily for mowing about 2 acres of primarily open yard once per week here near Pittsburgh PA. I also have about 10 large dying trees that a loader would be handy although not really necessary in dealing with. If it ever snows again the loader might be useful also. In addition I plan on planting a large garden next year so a tiller may be in my future. In my usual hillbilly attempt to buy a dollars worth of assets for 70 cents I have come upon a potential candidate. A L3240 with mower, loader, with 600 hours not far from me. You may witness its beauty on eBay. My question and I know this is more tractor than needed- Is this a stupid idea? I would leave the loader off most of the time. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Is this the one?

too much tractor? hush your mouth - aint no such verbiage!

I think you underestimate the loader ..... it will never be off! wink wink !!!

EDIT - FORD beat me to it!! ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
well it's got the 'quick attach' loader which is nice to have( easy to change implements). 18K is a lot for cutting 2 acres of grass though......

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh $18K is about 24,000 Canucks and that's a real expensive lawn mower for 2 acres of grass !! The loader is quick attach, which is nice though. Others will know how long it takes to cut with a 6' deck, just seems 'wrong' to me ,though they are very useful machines.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
well it's got the 'quick attach' loader which is nice to have( easy to change implements). 18K is a lot for cutting 2 acres of grass though......
I would offer less. I would employ the "circumcision paradigm" which simply states you can take 20% off of the top of anything without causing any harm. I agree it is a lot of money.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
yeesh $18K is about 24,000 Canucks and that's a real expensive lawn mower for 2 acres of grass !! The loader is quick attach, which is nice though. Others will know how long it takes to cut with a 6' deck, just seems 'wrong' to me ,though they are very useful machines.
I have an old Steiner with a 72inch deck now and it takes an enjoyable 1 hour to cut the grass with a Budweiser in my belly.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Nice tractor, being a Grand L and pre emissions. I almost bought a L3940 years ago, but job and finances were too iffy to bite the bullet.

From the pictures, the tractor looks like it was indoors kept for its age...no fading of paint or plastic. I am sure the seller will take less just because he has the Make Offer option.

I don't think you would have a problem selling it later if you decided you have "too much" tractor.

Is your total property 2 Acres?

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Nice tractor, being a Grand L and pre emissions. I almost bought a L3940 years ago, but job and finances were too iffy to bite the bullet.

From the pictures, the tractor looks like it was indoors kept for its age...no fading of paint or plastic. I am sure the seller will take less just because he has the Make Offer option.

I don't think you would have a problem selling it later if you decided you have "too much" tractor.

Is your total property 2 Acres?
Closer to 2 1/2 acres in the suburbs. I have cut it with a small 22" self propelled Home Depot mower when the Steiner was "down" a few times. I felt like I had the flu afterward. Over 4 hours I think. I am 58 years old and not fat either. (for now) I could also possibly till a few human food plots (vegetable gardens) for the "can do" neighbors (they are few) for fun and possibly a fruit cake at Christmas.

Last edited:

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
As I grow older, I realize that time in life is short. If you want it, money is not a problem, why not? With the QA loader, you have options for a grapple, pallet forks, etc. As you become older, tasks you can physicaLLY do now will become more difficult. And, things you cannot do now, you will be able to do. The tractor can make any task easier. You said you can mow with it. But, you can take off the mower deck if you decide later on not to mow with it if you buy a dedicated mower. In that case, it can serve as a backup mower in that situation.

Keep in mind, eBay charges tax and fees to the seller. I would want to look at it in person if possible. If I had my way, I'd rather deal with the seller without going through ebay. That would be the way to go because you can both save a ton of money and the seller can discount it quite a bit without losing money.

Edit: Michigander beat me to the fees comment. :)

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
An additional thought. The L3240 with the 72 inch mowing deck weighs about 3,900lbs .With the loader as well it weighs 5,300lbs. That is the same weight as my GMC pick up truck! More than twice what a BX2680 weighs. Is this something to consider?

Last edited:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
As I grow older, I realize that time in life is short. If you want it, money is not a problem, why not? With the QA loader, you have options for a grapple, pallet forks, etc. As you become older, tasks you can physicaLLY do now will become more difficult. And, things you cannot do now, you will be able to do. The tractor can make any task easier. You said you can mow with it. But, you can take off the mower deck if you decide later on not to mow with it if you buy a dedicated mower. In that case, it can serve as a backup mower in that situation.

Keep in mind, eBay charges tax and fees to the seller. I would want to look at it in person if possible. If I had my way, I'd rather deal with the seller without going through ebay. That would be the way to go because you can both save a ton of money and the seller can discount it quite a bit without losing money.

Edit: Michigander beat me to the fees comment. :)
Thanks for the endorsement.

Nicfin36

Equipment
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
An additional thought. The L3240 with the 72 inch mowing deck weighs about 3,900lbs .With the loader as well it weighs 5,300lbs. That is the same weight as my GMC pick up truck! More than twice what a BX2680 weighs. Is this something to consider?

It could be a problem on wet/moist ground. My tractor, which has to be similar in weight will create impressions on moist ground. I usually have the backhoe on and have fluid filled back tires though. So, it may not be ideal to cut when the ground is wet or even slightly wet IMO. Your soil and drainage will dictate how difficult of an obstacle using the tractor to mow with will be.

It will not be as versatile as a lawnmower IMO, which is why I mentioned finding a dedicated lawn mower later.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
It could be a problem on wet/moist ground. My tractor, which has to be similar in weight will create impressions on moist ground. I usually have the backhoe on and have fluid filled back tires though. So, it may not be ideal to cut when the ground is wet or even slightly wet IMO. Your soil and drainage will dictate how difficult of an obstacle using the tractor to mow with will be.

It will not be as versatile as a lawnmower IMO, which is why I mentioned finding a dedicated lawn mower later.
Would it be less versatile than the less manly and somewhat similarly priced BX?