Snowblower options

macminn18

Equipment
L3560
Jun 4, 2020
Land of 10,000 Lakes
Tractor newbie with an L3560, and loving it alot so far! Starting to think about getting ready for the long winter season here in Minnesota. What are my options for snowblowers? I've seen some front and some rear mount. Rear mount seems difficult to me for big areas, am I wrong on that?
Any guidance is appreciated.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
First question would be did you get the optional Mid PTO?

Prior thread:

macminn18

Equipment
L3560
Jun 4, 2020
Land of 10,000 Lakes
First question would be did you get the optional Mid PTO?

Prior thread:

I didn't even know that was an option

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I didn't even know that was an option
Typically you run a front snow blower from the mid pto. If you don't have a mid PTO your only option is likely to be a rear snow blower, I don't have a mid pto so I run a rear snow blower and have hydraulic controls for throw direction and angle. Do you have rear hydraulic connections, if not you can have electric or manual controls, at least you have a warm cab!

I have a rear pto driven snow blower from Woodmaxx, it's well built and performs well. I run a 72" wide unit.

Front mount is very convenient but also tends to cost a lot more, rear snow blowers are very common, not so expensive and can easily be found used.

Good luck in moving forward.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
...........................Rear mount seems difficult to me for big areas, am I wrong on that?
Any guidance is appreciated.
Depends a lot on how easily you can turn to look. Swiveling your butt on the seat is easier for me than trying to twist my spine. Had a rear mount and one benefit was being able to have the loader on the front.

Depends on what you're calling big areas, the blower may not work as well as a blade. I've done both and if the area is so big the snow needs blown more than once it becomes problematic.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
there's 3 choices ( that I'm aware of..)
1) rear mtd, pto,3ph. OK ,if you can turn aroundin the seat a lot....PITA, really...
2) front mtd, mid PTO, better.though you're 'commited' to 'snowblower tractor'
3) SSQA selfpowered(SP) blower. While the most expensive(if store bought), the ultimate setup. Easy to swap for bucket or forks or whatever(60 seconds or less).
4) maybe a SSQA hydraulic powered blower is available ? never looked

A lot depends on what your lot/driveways are size wise and how much snow. It sounds like once white comes ,you get a lot, so the blower will be on until spring ? If so, front mount be be a lot easier on your body. I hear guys add mirrors with rear blowers, saves the neck but... be careful about hidden or recently moved items ,like skids !
I made my own SSQA SP blower, neve rused it last year...scared off the white !
If you have a lot of snow, get a cab...

GEP

Jun 16, 2010
Benton Harbor, Mi
My drive at my house is about 400' long, I am hoping it will not snow very much again this coming winter. I use a snow blower on my tractor its a front mount I would not have it any other way. That cranking your neck is for the birds. I recommend a front mount blower yes it may cost a bit more but you will be much happier when you go out and use your machine. A cab is also a must for me.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Ive had both front and rear mount. And yes its a pita to swivel your neck around for the rear mounted style, but I much prefer that to front mounted. Its not an issue seeing whats going on with the front mount, thats the reason I dislike those. Its in getting close to buildings where I much prefer being able to use the FEL to scrape things back. It cuts my shoveling to hardly anything. With the front mount blower theres a lot of shoveling to be done.
And as mentioned, get a cab or at least a winter enclosure if you plan on spending much time blowing snow in MN.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
Ive had both front and rear mount. And yes its a pita to swivel your neck around for the rear mounted style, but I much prefer that to front mounted. Its not an issue seeing whats going on with the front mount, thats the reason I dislike those. Its in getting close to buildings where I much prefer being able to use the FEL to scrape things back. It cuts my shoveling to hardly anything. With the front mount blower theres a lot of shoveling to be done.
And as mentioned, get a cab or at least a winter enclosure if you plan on spending much time blowing snow in MN.

I find the combination of my front mount blower, with the box blade on the rear does a good job of getting things cleared with little shoveling at the end of the day. What I really like however, is the enclosed cab. Best thing my wife ever bought me.

Reactions: 1 user

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
B2650 with cab, front mount snowblower and rear blade.

It is so easy I taught my wife to do it over the phone. I showed her once and wrote a detailed description of how to use it. I was out of town for a week and got the biggest storm of the year that week. She jumped in and did an AWESOME job!!!!!!

Only problem, she weighs just enough to activate the seat safety, but a few bumps and she lifted enough to kill the tractor. She panicked when it would not restart, she thought she broke it, and called me. After a couple minutes of check this and that she said something that made me realize she had the PTO still engaged. We laughed and she completed the task.

Not sure she would have been as enthusiastic with a rear blower.

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
I have a B2650 with cab (and mid PTO) but decided to go with the rear mount SB. A couple of reasons for me.
1). With the front mount SB, you won't want to switch out for the FEL, too much work. I like to keep the FEL on for using the bucket or snow blade for smaller snowfalls that will not require a SB.
2). I mark the edges of my (and my Parents) driveways with stakes, so using the mirrors works pretty well, a lot less turning around.
3). Plus, I'm a bit of a tight a$$. The rear SB was much less cost. 😁.
4). If there's not enough snow to need the rear mount SB, it's a quick switch over from the rear SB to the box blade if needed.

On the other hand, with the front SB, if a rear blade is all you need on smaller snowfalls, you might be just fine.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I have a B2650 with cab (and mid PTO) but decided to go with the rear mount SB. A couple of reasons for me.
1). With the front mount SB, you won't want to switch out for the FEL, too much work. I like to keep the FEL on for using the bucket or snow blade for smaller snowfalls that will not require a SB.
2). I mark the edges of my (and my Parents) driveways with stakes, so using the mirrors works pretty well, a lot less turning around.
3). Plus, I'm a bit of a tight a$$. The rear SB was much less cost. 😁.
4). If there's not enough snow to need the rear mount SB, it's a quick switch over from the rear SB to the box blade if needed.

On the other hand, with the front SB, if a rear blade is all you need on smaller snowfalls, you might be just fine.

I'm not arguing, just making an observation.

If the snowfall is not enough to blow, then is it really enough to deal with at all?
In my case, if we can drive out in our vehicles then most likely it is not worth the time to worry about dealing with it.

kubotanyer

Equipment
L5460
Aug 5, 2020
Potsdam, NY
Where in Canada are you located? I have a front mount setup I just removed from my Grand L series tractor. It will work with your 3560. If you do not have a mid mount PTO, the kit is $383.